1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Packers on hand for Malcolm Kelly workout.

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by PackOne, Apr 16, 2008.

1. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
  2. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    No idea.

What's interesting is that the Packers apparently are interested in a WR with KR ability in this draft.

Not that I'm complaining about it, it's just that's so unexpected. We're deep at WR, we have 3 good KRs (Williams was strong last season, K-Rob is a pro-bowl caliber returner, and Blackmon has explosiveness and has shown flashes of play making when healthy enough to play).

There were also reports that the Packers were interested in FA WR Tab Perry this off-season.

I find it a bit odd, because WR is probably the last position I'd classify as needing depth. You could argue that perhaps the Packers just want a KR that has potential as a WR, and develop that player to become a better WR for the future. But I thought we already had that in WR Shaun Bodiford. :-?

Perhaps this is just a ruse that Ted is using to mask his true intentions? Was any other player at the Kelly workout? Perhaps the Packers were more interested in Eric Crouch than Kelly?

3. BryanAschenbrenner

BryanAschenbrenner Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It's likely that he could slip as far as our pick, so my guess is we're just checking all our options.

4. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    But I still don't think Kelly would be BPA at #30 by any stretch.

Perhaps they might consider taking him in the second round if he is still there? That would be almost as shocking as having taken Harrell last year, IMO.

5. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    smoke and mirrors is a huge part of TT's MO (heh). I seem to remember that the year we drafted AJ Hawk, the Packers invited a bunch of first-round prospects to Green Bay for an evaluation and meetings, etc. AJ Hawk was not invited.

6. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    Who's Justin Harrell?

7. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I've been saying this for a while now, and I'm not sure if anyone agrees with me or everyone just thinks it's a ridiculous notion, but the Packers have room for improvement at WR.
    GJ is amazing.
    DD is headed for the downside of his career. Not this year, but it's coming, and we all know it.
    JJ showed flashes, but nothing exceptional last year.
    I think that the jury's still out on whether or not K-Rob can return to what he showed glimpses of before he got here.

What happens when someone goes down? A rookie with the upside to be a future #1 WR is never a bad thing to have on your roster. And, players at the position typically takes a year or two to develop into a threat, so I think TT is going WR early this year. Just a hunch.

But as to the smoke screen idea, OU has a TE that is a potential mid-late round guy that I read an article about earlier today, I'll get a summary for you guys in a minute......

8. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    You're so lucky to be alive right now.

9. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Perhaps they are looking at him because he is a perfect Red Zone Option.

He has an ability to "Go Up' and get the ball, land great hands, like Randy Moss in the Red Zone. Perhaps the Packers think that that would be a huge upside, and they could work with him to develop him in his routes and getting in and out of them.

From what I have read, he is not a speed guy. Never will be, because of his big stride.

As you can tell by the above.... I invested in the Pro Football Draft Guide '08.

This post does not make me smart, it just makes me well read.

R.P.

10. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    Well they can't be drafting him based on his common sense.. I mean blaming a slow 40 on "your" school... personally I hate the focus on 40 times... players can play... pretenders can't.. film tells the story in my opinion.

The interest may come in the fact the Krob is in the final year of his bargain contract and may want one final payday in his career.. drafting a player for the future IE Harrell if value is there..

11. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    From Scout's Inc., via ESPN Insider:

12. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Good Point. Noted and filed.

13. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    GJ going up.
    JJ will replace Driver eventually. Remember how JJ was in the first 2 games of the season? He was our #2 with Gregorious taking a rest from saving the world. He did a fine job, but later on in the season, he made rookie mistakes. JJ will be a very good WR in his league.
    Driver's stock is going down, but is still a solid WR.
    K-Rob would make a decent #2 WR on almost any team in the NFL. K-Rob has something to prove yet, and he's young. I wouldn't count the guy out.
    Martin is a solid #4, but a #3? Not sure.

I disagree. I think we're fine here for the time being and for at least two or 3 years to come. We wouldn't have gotten rid of Holliday if there was really a need for WR.

14. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Why wouldn't we look at as many people as possible?

Dont question the draft guru and his crew!

15. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4

16. BryanAschenbrenner

Ratings:
    +0
    If we were to draft a receiver in the first round, I would prefer Limas Sweed. He is fast and has the height+hops combination to go up and get it like Javon Walker. I would be surprised as you guys if we went WR in the first, but we're talking about TT here.

17. BryanAschenbrenner

Ratings:
    +0
  18. Veretax

Veretax Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    Didn't we let a couple of our wR/CB ST guys go?

19. Since69

Since69 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    That's the first thing I thought, too. Probably not, though. Kelly might be a headcase, but he can play, and his stock has slipped quite a lot with this nonsense. He could wind up being a steal for a team that can help him get his head screwed on straight. I wonder if they interviewed him afterwards...

And I've got a feeling about K-Rob. I don't think he'll be a Packer next year. His value is mainly as kick returner (on the Packers). If TT thinks he can be replaced, I expect to see K-Rob as part of a draft-day trade (maybe our 2nd and K-Rob to the Eagles for Lito and their 3rd? Something like that?)

20. Toronto_Cheesehead

Toronto_Cheesehead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd love Sweed, but I don't see him falling past the Titans. They need help for Young, and he has a comfort level with Sweed from their Texas days.

Kelly would be a good fit for us. He's big, and that's an asset in the WCO. He should be able to go over the middle and get balls in traffic, and his height will be an asset in the red zone. K-Rod or Martin can be cut if TT thinks Kelly can be a starter in this league (and until his bad 40 he was projected as the top receiver in the draft). I'd rather a CB or DE, but Ted knows what he's doing. If we pick Kelly in round one it's probably because he has some guy we've never heard of before as the next great corner in the league.

21. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    I am interested to see if Koren gets traded on draft day too, Since69