Packers on hand for Malcolm Kelly workout.

Reaction score
No idea.

What's interesting is that the Packers apparently are interested in a WR with KR ability in this draft.

Not that I'm complaining about it, it's just that's so unexpected. We're deep at WR, we have 3 good KRs (Williams was strong last season, K-Rob is a pro-bowl caliber returner, and Blackmon has explosiveness and has shown flashes of play making when healthy enough to play).

There were also reports that the Packers were interested in FA WR Tab Perry this off-season.

I find it a bit odd, because WR is probably the last position I'd classify as needing depth. You could argue that perhaps the Packers just want a KR that has potential as a WR, and develop that player to become a better WR for the future. But I thought we already had that in WR Shaun Bodiford. :-?

Perhaps this is just a ruse that Ted is using to mask his true intentions? Was any other player at the Kelly workout? Perhaps the Packers were more interested in Eric Crouch than Kelly?

Reaction score
It's likely that he could slip as far as our pick, so my guess is we're just checking all our options.

But I still don't think Kelly would be BPA at #30 by any stretch.

Perhaps they might consider taking him in the second round if he is still there? That would be almost as shocking as having taken Harrell last year, IMO.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
smoke and mirrors is a huge part of TT's MO (heh). I seem to remember that the year we drafted AJ Hawk, the Packers invited a bunch of first-round prospects to Green Bay for an evaluation and meetings, etc. AJ Hawk was not invited.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been saying this for a while now, and I'm not sure if anyone agrees with me or everyone just thinks it's a ridiculous notion, but the Packers have room for improvement at WR.
GJ is amazing.
DD is headed for the downside of his career. Not this year, but it's coming, and we all know it.
JJ showed flashes, but nothing exceptional last year.
I think that the jury's still out on whether or not K-Rob can return to what he showed glimpses of before he got here.

What happens when someone goes down? A rookie with the upside to be a future #1 WR is never a bad thing to have on your roster. And, players at the position typically takes a year or two to develop into a threat, so I think TT is going WR early this year. Just a hunch.

But as to the smoke screen idea, OU has a TE that is a potential mid-late round guy that I read an article about earlier today, I'll get a summary for you guys in a minute......

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps they are looking at him because he is a perfect Red Zone Option.

He has an ability to "Go Up' and get the ball, land great hands, like Randy Moss in the Red Zone. Perhaps the Packers think that that would be a huge upside, and they could work with him to develop him in his routes and getting in and out of them.

From what I have read, he is not a speed guy. Never will be, because of his big stride.

As you can tell by the above.... I invested in the Pro Football Draft Guide '08.

This post does not make me smart, it just makes me well read.

R.P.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Well they can't be drafting him based on his common sense.. I mean blaming a slow 40 on "your" school... personally I hate the focus on 40 times... players can play... pretenders can't.. film tells the story in my opinion.

The interest may come in the fact the Krob is in the final year of his bargain contract and may want one final payday in his career.. drafting a player for the future IE Harrell if value is there..

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From Scout's Inc., via ESPN Insider:

Oklahoma TE Joe Jon Finley
Finley isn't going to run by many safeties or linebackers and he lacks the burst to consistently separate from man coverage underneath. His hands are inconsistent as well, as he can make tough catch in traffic on one play and then drop what should be a routine catch on the very next play. And as if that weren't enough, Finley is an average in-line blocker at best who is going to have problems driving NFL defensive ends off the ball. However, he does have some redeeming qualities that should make him a late-fifth or early-sixth round pick. He takes sound angles to his blocks, he's relentless once he gets in position and he will be able to add weight to his 6-6 frame. While he has to work on staying focused, his hands are big, he can shield defenders from the ball and he can win jump balls, so he could also develop into a productive red zone target.

Green Bay made Bubba Franks a cap casualty this offseason, and understandably so as Franks has had problems staying healthy and simply hasn't produced enough over the past three years. In addition, Donald Lee is coming off the most productive season of his career and the Packers are looking to add depth behind him after the departure of Franks, so Finley could be their guy. Playing behind Lee would allow Finley to add weight to his frame and become more consistent catching the ball in a relatively low-pressure environment. If Finley took advantage he would eventually be big enough to seal the edge for RB Ryan Grant and give QB Aaron Rodgers another productive red zone target to complement Lee. With restricted free agent Ben Utecht signing with Cincinnati, Indianapolis has to add depth behind Dallas Clark but don't expect the Colts to look to Finley. He just isn't fast or athletic enough to develop into a substantial contributor in a scheme that likes to get the tight ends heavily involved in the passing game.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
I've been saying this for a while now, and I'm not sure if anyone agrees with me or everyone just thinks it's a ridiculous notion, but the Packers have room for improvement at WR.
GJ is amazing.
DD is headed for the downside of his career. Not this year, but it's coming, and we all know it.
JJ showed flashes, but nothing exceptional last year.
I think that the jury's still out on whether or not K-Rob can return to what he showed glimpses of before he got here.

What happens when someone goes down? A rookie with the upside to be a future #1 WR is never a bad thing to have on your roster. And, players at the position typically takes a year or two to develop into a threat, so I think TT is going WR early this year. Just a hunch.

But as to the smoke screen idea, OU has a TE that is a potential mid-late round guy that I read an article about earlier today, I'll get a summary for you guys in a minute......

GJ going up.
JJ will replace Driver eventually. Remember how JJ was in the first 2 games of the season? He was our #2 with Gregorious taking a rest from saving the world. He did a fine job, but later on in the season, he made rookie mistakes. JJ will be a very good WR in his league.
Driver's stock is going down, but is still a solid WR.
K-Rob would make a decent #2 WR on almost any team in the NFL. K-Rob has something to prove yet, and he's young. I wouldn't count the guy out.
Martin is a solid #4, but a #3? Not sure.

I disagree. I think we're fine here for the time being and for at least two or 3 years to come. We wouldn't have gotten rid of Holliday if there was really a need for WR.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why wouldn't we look at as many people as possible?

Dont question the draft guru and his crew!

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we were to draft a receiver in the first round, I would prefer Limas Sweed. He is fast and has the height+hops combination to go up and get it like Javon Walker. I would be surprised as you guys if we went WR in the first, but we're talking about TT here.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
No idea... Perhaps the Packers were more interested in Eric Crouch than Kelly?

That's the first thing I thought, too. Probably not, though. Kelly might be a headcase, but he can play, and his stock has slipped quite a lot with this nonsense. He could wind up being a steal for a team that can help him get his head screwed on straight. I wonder if they interviewed him afterwards...

And I've got a feeling about K-Rob. I don't think he'll be a Packer next year. His value is mainly as kick returner (on the Packers). If TT thinks he can be replaced, I expect to see K-Rob as part of a draft-day trade (maybe our 2nd and K-Rob to the Eagles for Lito and their 3rd? Something like that?)

Toronto_Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we were to draft a receiver in the first round, I would prefer Limas Sweed. He is fast and has the height+hops combination to go up and get it like Javon Walker. I would be surprised as you guys if we went WR in the first, but we're talking about TT here.

I'd love Sweed, but I don't see him falling past the Titans. They need help for Young, and he has a comfort level with Sweed from their Texas days.

Kelly would be a good fit for us. He's big, and that's an asset in the WCO. He should be able to go over the middle and get balls in traffic, and his height will be an asset in the red zone. K-Rod or Martin can be cut if TT thinks Kelly can be a starter in this league (and until his bad 40 he was projected as the top receiver in the draft). I'd rather a CB or DE, but Ted knows what he's doing. If we pick Kelly in round one it's probably because he has some guy we've never heard of before as the next great corner in the league.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts