Packers next GM

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In this hypothetical I doubt he goes to Green Bay should Paul Allen still want him with the Seahawks. I mean, Paul Allen can pretty much outbid anyone, anywhere and if he wants Schneider to stick around, I'm pretty sure Schneider is sticking around.
Are you sure money is all John Schneider is concerned with?

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT is here through 2018 and maybe beyond. I'm not even thinking that far ahead as things in the NFL change real fast. Why would Schneider leave Seattle? He has it at a championship level there for the foreseeable future? Lets see, live in Washington or Green Bay, native son or not, better in Washington.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you sure money is all John Schneider is concerned with?

No, but since he can do the exact same job in either location I would think money would be a pretty large factor. If you could do whatever you do for a living but get paid far more in one city verse another, most people would take the money unless the city with the money was terrible. Not many people I've ever heard have a lot of negative things to say about Seattle.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, but since he can do the exact same job in either location I would think money would be a pretty large factor. If you could do whatever you do for a living but get paid far more in one city verse another, most people would take the money unless the city with the money was terrible. Not many people I've ever heard have a lot of negative things to say about Seattle.

Schneider was born and raised in the shadow of Lambeau. He grew up a Packer fan. He worked here for the Packers for many years. Don't think that wouldn't play a role somewhere in his thinking. The only question is to what degree, but if I was to put money on it, I would think there's a moderate to good chance he would take a little less to come here. Players and coaches do it all the time. Why not GMs?

Another thing about it, it's not the exact same job. In Seattle, Carroll has the final say on personnel moves to the extent that he's like a co-GM (BTW, that raises the question of how much of Seattle's success is Schneider and how much is Carroll anyway?). No GM wields absolute power to the degree they do in Green Bay. And it's very possible he has an exit clause in his contract to go back to Green Bay if the opportunity presents itself. People close to him have acknowledged that the Packers remain his dream job.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Schneider was born and raised in the shadow of Lambeau. He grew up a Packer fan. He worked here for the Packers for many years. Don't think that wouldn't play a role somewhere in his thinking. The only question is to what degree, but if I was to put money on it, I would think there's a moderate to good chance he would take a little less to come here. Players and coaches do it all the time. Why not GMs?

Another thing about it, it's not the exact same job. In Seattle, Carroll has the final say on personnel moves to the extent that he's like a co-GM (BTW, that raises the question of how much of Seattle's success is Schneider and how much is Carroll anyway?). No GM wields absolute power to the degree they do in Green Bay. And it's very possible he has an exit clause in his contract to go back to Green Bay if the opportunity presents itself. People close to him have acknowledged that the Packers remain his dream job.

Part of my point is that with Paul Allen as the owner the difference might not be a "little less". Again, this is ALL hypothetical but Allen can afford to pay far more than the Packers. That's all I was saying. Not saying he wouldn't come to Green Bay, just that Paul Allen could conceivably pay double, or more, what the Packers would pay if Allen really wanted to keep him.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Good point about PC having final say on personnel as he's always been a defensive guy. But I think that's good because we give capers flack for our dcfense when he probably has little say on who TT brings in on defense.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point about PC having final say on personnel as he's always been a defensive guy. But I think that's good because we give capers flack for our dcfense when he probably has little say on who TT brings in on defense.
If TT doesn't pay any attention to his DC on who's needed to fix the D, there's a real problem. TT may have the final say, but I can't believe he just drafts as he sees fit and tells the coaches 'I've decided that here is what you have to work with'.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Part of my point is that with Paul Allen as the owner the difference might not be a "little less". Again, this is ALL hypothetical but Allen can afford to pay far more than the Packers. That's all I was saying. Not saying he wouldn't come to Green Bay, just that Paul Allen could conceivably pay double, or more, what the Packers would pay if Allen really wanted to keep him.
That may be true, but GMs are older and at a different stage of life than young players. For a middle-aged man who already has more than enough money to retire in comfort, the opportunity to realize a dream takes on more importance as time goes on. Either way, he would be paid generously. It's not as if the Packers would be asking him to live on $50,000/ year.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That may be true, but GMs are older and at a different stage of life than young players. For a middle-aged man who already has more than enough money to retire in comfort, the opportunity to realize a dream takes on more importance as time goes on. Either way, he would be paid generously. It's not as if the Packers would be asking him to live on $50,000/ year.

I never assume that someone else has "enough money". I don't know what he wants to donate/bequeath/etc.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never assume that someone else has "enough money". I don't know what he wants to donate/bequeath/etc.
Most people would take a little less money in life to realize a dream. Money isn't everything and most people figure that out at one point or another. Not sure why you assume money is all that matters to Schneider.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure about the validity of 'most'. Am sure he didn't say he assumed money is all that matters, he said he wasn't qualified to rule it out.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most people would take a little less money in life to realize a dream. Money isn't everything and most people figure that out at one point or another. Not sure why you assume money is all that matters to Schneider.

Again, you keep saying a "little less" money. I get it, if the offer is $7m vs $7.2m you go after your dream. My point is that Paul Allen allows them to make the difference a LOT of money.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, you keep saying a "little less" money. I get it, if the offer is $7m vs $7.2m you go after your dream. My point is that Paul Allen allows them to make the difference a LOT of money.
And my point is you don't know to what degree he would rather have the Green Bay job if it was offered. They're also not the same job in terms of scope and authority with him having to get Carroll's approval for everything. And I would venture to guess if it truly is his dream job (as both his friends report and logic dictates) then he would likely take a good bit more that the measly 2.9% difference in pay that you gave as an example. The earliest this could likely happen is after TT finishes his current contract anyway.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And my point is you don't know to what degree he would rather have the Green Bay job if it was offered. They're also not the same job in terms of scope and authority with him having to get Carroll's approval for everything. And I would venture to guess if it truly is his dream job (as both his friends report and logic dictates) then he would likely take a good bit more that the measly 2.9% difference in pay that you gave as an example. The earliest this could likely happen is after TT finishes his current contract anyway.

And I agreed with you that a "measly" 2.9% difference wouldn't be enough...that was my point.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the most likely scenario right now is Eliot Wolf getting the GM position in around five years once Ted retires if he's still in the organization. I can't see Schneider leaving Seattle even for a slightly more powerful role for reasons previously stated by posters above me, and Wolf will of had a few years to serve directly under Thompson to learn the tools of the trade. We know how much this organization loves to promote from within and Wolf will have had been within the organization since he started in the business in 2004 slowly rising through the ranks of Player personnel very similar to the career trajectory of one other guy you may have heard of- Ted Thompson.

Agreed he is being groomed for the position and they've said for a while now that he's our most natural talent scout.

H

HardRightEdge

Agreed he is being groomed for the position and they've said for a while now that he's our most natural talent scout.
We've heard this said, but where is the evidence on the football field?

10 of Wolfs 11 years in an official capacity with the team have been on the Pro Personnel side of scouting. I tend to discount what he might have done at 10 years old sitting at dad's knee, or what might have been in that first scouting report at age 14.

Pro Personnel guys have two main jobs:

1. Keeping up the players around the league from the standpoint of FA and waiver wire opportunities or the rare trade.

2. Advance scouting of the opposition, with input into game planning.

With respect to point 1., Wolf might be characterized as a Maytag repairman. Other than the guys rotating in, out and through the PS, the Packers have engaged in relatively little FA activity, and most of the guys brought in on the cheap were busts...names like Saturday, Muir, Hargrove, Mulligan, et. al.

2014 was the biggest FA grab of the Thompson era with big ticket Peppers and Guion a starter. It's important to note these guys came out of the division, with Thompson/McCarthy/Capers having seen plenty of Peppers and some of Guion twice per year.

PS guys don't have much, if any, pro tape; college scouting reports have as much to do with selecting those guys as any pro scouting input.

As for point 2, scouting the opposition is about identifying what pro players do well or poorly today; that does not involve the projections or imagination involved in college scouting.

This is not to say Wolf will scale up into a poor GM; it says he's entirely unproven in college scouting and has not been called upon very often in assessing the FA market.

Now, as Director of Player Personnel, Wolf will presumptively be overseeing pro and college scouting. We'll just have to wait and see if this promotion yields better drafts in the next couple of years.

And if there is any notion that E. Wolf yields a two-fer with dad on the phone every day to discuss draft prospects that's likely seriously misguided.

Members online

Latest posts