Packers next GM

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I cant stand the seahawks, what Schneider has done has been extremely impressive. It got me thinking today, is he possibly our next gm? I only see a couple names that are in house but I am not sure any of them are ready or right for the position.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Agree he is but Seattle is going to have to want to let him go which probably ain't gonna happen unless they get into cap hell in which case we wouldn't want him either.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree he is but Seattle is going to have to want to let him go which probably ain't gonna happen unless they get into cap hell in which case we wouldn't want him either.
Hard to imagine someone leaving a super bowl quality team and switching from Seattle to green bay to take a gm position....

Wait a minute... Sounds somewhat familiar....

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would certainly like to see the Packers get him but as Poppa San says, " it probably ain't gonna happen".
In the mean time, Ted still has a couple Lombardis to return to Title Town.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have to think that he comes back in Murphy's spot and Elliot takes over as GM......years from now.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Am I missing something here? Thompson isn't retiring anytime soon is he?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He sure as heck can build a defense ....and that's what we need. Seattle was terrible on defense before he got there and drafted or signed guys... Mostly drafted.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I would hope after TT it would be passed to Schneider, I feel Schneider would be passionate enough to try his best to get the Packers more Lombardi's than try to earn a big paycheck. Plus what he did to the Seahawks helps his case.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Am I missing something here? Thompson isn't retiring anytime soon is he?
He is not retiring that I know of but you have to be prepared for it....especially when he acted like he had a stroke or something all off season last year.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson isn't going anywhere unless his health issues act up again. The guy has no family, loves football, and loves the challenge of being a GM. My guess is that we'll have Thompson at least another five seasons, and the next GM will probably be Eliott Wolf as you stated above, unless someone steals him first. However, Eliott grew up in Green Bay and loves this team. Even his dad converted over from being a big Raiders guy

D

Deleted member 6794

I think it's possible Schneider will be Thompson's successor at some point, especially as the Packers would probably guarantee him total control over the 53-man roster during the season as well (right now Carroll has that in Seattle).

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's possible Schneider will be Thompson's successor at some point, especially as the Packers would probably guarantee him total control over the 53-man roster during the season as well (right now Carroll has that in Seattle).
Don't forget the appeal of coming home. When momma comes calling you have to come home.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's be honest. The fact that Schneider is from Wisconsin is the only thing that the Packers have over the Seahawks. Paul Allen will likely out-pay the publicly owned Packers so unless Schneider has a couple down years and he's no longer highly valued, he likely won't be making a move anytime soon.

Some people actually enjoy getting away from home no matter what they say publicly or to their families.

H

HardRightEdge

Thompson just signed a multi-year extension in July. It's likely to be several years before he hangs it up.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's be honest. The fact that Schneider is from Wisconsin is the only thing that the Packers have over the Seahawks. Paul Allen will likely out-pay the publicly owned Packers so unless Schneider has a couple down years and he's no longer highly valued, he likely won't be making a move anytime soon.

Some people actually enjoy getting away from home no matter what they say publicly or to their families.

This is a guy who grew up in Wisconsin and wrote a letter to the Packers and got his start there. More than likely GB is his dream job.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This is of course premature, but De Pere native Schneider wanting to go from second-in-command in Seattle to full control in Green Bay isn’t that great a leap in logic. With regard to his NFL career, Schneider “grew up” in the Packers organization. IMO the most likely thing arguing against it is timing. When Thompson does retire, Schneider may be in the middle of a contract and Allen may have to agree to let him go. Allen will probably still hold the Packers “poaching” Thompson against them and he could probably require compensation to get the deal done. OTOH, Schneider may have a clause in his contract allowing him take the Packers’ GM job.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In this hypothetical I doubt he goes to Green Bay should Paul Allen still want him with the Seahawks. I mean, Paul Allen can pretty much outbid anyone, anywhere and if he wants Schneider to stick around, I'm pretty sure Schneider is sticking around.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lombardi was born in New York, played in New York, "grew up" in the New York Giants organization, even stayed with them after Philly offered him a head coaching job, and then accepted the position with Green Bay. I wonder how many Giants fans were on internet forums (joke) in the 1960s arguing that Lombardi would likely come back to be the Giants' next coach & GM because he was home grown.

I just don't buy it as a main reason for Schneider to leave Seattle. He worked for Chiefs, Seahawks, and Redskins in between stints with the Packers so he's sown his professional oats. Certainly his connection with Green Bay is there in the background story, but there are so many more pertinent things a guy like Schneider is likely dealing with in his decision making process. Where is he in his contract with the Seahawks. Does he want to uproot his family and move his kids to new schools, especially when he has an autistic son. His family may really like the Seattle area. He may reunite with Tom Wopat for another Dukes of Hazzard reunion (another joke).

I'm sure that he loves the Packers as I'm sure that Lombardi loved the Giants, but sometimes you make a new bed and keep sleeping in it. I'm not saying that Schneider won't come back. If Thompson leaves and Schneider is available, he'd currently be at the top of my list of candidates. However, it's far off in the future and many teams would be vying for his services in the strange unlikelihood that Seattle is not.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
barring a catastrophe in GB, i'm not sure there's a position open for a few years yet. A lot can happen in that time. TT can hand pick his successor that is an unknown at this time to most outside of the Front offices in the league. Schneider could have a falling out with Seattle making him available. Let's face it, things aren't getting interesting for them till this and next year.

If Lynch falls off, i'm not so sure they're even a playoff team. They've had the luxury of relative health these past 2 seasons, let's see what depth they really have. Let's see what happens when they really have to start making tough decisions and paying people. They seem to be making a lot of good decisions over there, i'm not taking anything away from them. I can't say I care for their arrogance much, but they seem to be able to make tough choices and keep a great team together.

BUT that's only been for 2 years now of relative health. Lots of teams peak and fade. Sustaining it is a whole other ball of wax.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the most likely scenario right now is Eliot Wolf getting the GM position in around five years once Ted retires if he's still in the organization. I can't see Schneider leaving Seattle even for a slightly more powerful role for reasons previously stated by posters above me, and Wolf will of had a few years to serve directly under Thompson to learn the tools of the trade. We know how much this organization loves to promote from within and Wolf will have had been within the organization since he started in the business in 2004 slowly rising through the ranks of Player personnel very similar to the career trajectory of one other guy you may have heard of- Ted Thompson.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a giant leap in logic
Per McGinn - It’s considered almost a foregone conclusion among his colleagues and friends that Schneider regards the Packers as his dream job.

Not such a giant leap after all :)

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he can build a top 2 or 3 defense around Rodgers like he did for Wilson I'm all for it. If Green Bay had Seattle's defense I couldn't see them losing a game with Rodgers at the helm.

Members online

Latest posts