Packers must start at step one

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Cliff said:
Zero2Cool said:
Cliff said:
cheesey, I've been around the game a long time, Ted Thompson is toast. His best shot would have been with Brett Favre at QB but it's too late. Procrastination loses.

When Favre retires you are all in for the shock of your lives. It will be back to the 70's and 80's.

Okay, I'll play this game with you. :)

What moves should Ted have made in year one? Draft, Staff, FA, etc.
Then do the same for year two.

This should be very easy since we know who the busts were already. Let's see what you come up with big shot.

lol
Predictable, you make this too easy!! :)
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Put the dog food down, and tell us what GM would have done better and/or what moves should have been done that would have us a better record over the last two years.

Wait a tick, I know you're weak in the "supporting your statements" department so "LoL" is the best you can do.

Why are you avoiding my question? Name another NFL replacement GM who went 12-20 in his 1st two seasons as GM then turned it around to be successful? To make it easy, let's say in the Super Bowl era.

When you answer my question, I will answer yours.
Just because UP TO NOW it hasn't happened, doesn't mean it CAN'T! Maybe the teams that have been in that situation previously didn't HAVE a Ted Thompson to pull them out of a tailspin. Maybe thats why those teams were where they were in the first place.
Lucky for us Cliff wasn't born at an earlier time.........Cliff, talking to Wilber and Orville Wright........
Cliff:" You're gonna WHAT!?!? Get into a contraption with wings, and FLY like a BIRD!?!? LOLOLOL!!! It CAN'T be DONE i'm telling you!!! Why??? Well.......it hasn't been done YET, has it? COME ON Wilber! Name me ONE TIME that it's been done! Can't even come up with ONE time, can ya!!!Orville......how about you! Bet you can't come up with ONE time, even in the last 40 years! You guys are crazy!" :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sorry to interupt the pissing match, ladies, but i don't see how it could be unclear to anybody that our team made great strides this year. So no GM has turned a mediocre start into a great team, ok. Has Thompson made a lot of improvements with the mess of a team that he started here with? yes. and is anybody surprised that our team being mediocre and underachieving caused the hiring of a new GM? it seems to me that a great team doesn't make a whole lot of changes, if they can help it. Thompson inherited a ****** team, and that team is getting better. where's the problem?

OP
OP
C

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cliff said:
Zero2Cool said:
Cliff said:
Zero2Cool said:
Cliff said:
cheesey, I've been around the game a long time, Ted Thompson is toast. His best shot would have been with Brett Favre at QB but it's too late. Procrastination loses.

When Favre retires you are all in for the shock of your lives. It will be back to the 70's and 80's.

This should be very easy since we know who the busts were already. Let's see what you come up with big shot.

lol

Put the dog food down, and tell us what GM would have done better and/or what moves should have been done that would have us a better record over the last two years.

Wait a tick, I know you're weak in the "supporting your statements" department so "LoL" is the best you can do.

Why are you avoiding my question? Name another NFL replacement GM who went 12-20 in his 1st two seasons as GM then turned it around to be successful? To make it easy, let's say in the Super Bowl era.

Just because UP TO NOW it hasn't happened, doesn't mean it CAN'T! Maybe the teams that have been in that situation previously didn't HAVE a Ted Thompson to pull them out of a tailspin. Maybe thats why those teams were where they were in the first place.
Lucky for us Cliff wasn't born at an earlier time.........Cliff, talking to Wilber and Orville Wright........
Cliff:" You're gonna WHAT!?!? Get into a contraption with wings, and FLY like a BIRD!?!? LOLOLOL!!! It CAN'T be DONE i'm telling you!!! Why??? Well.......it hasn't been done YET, has it? COME ON Wilber! Name me ONE TIME that it's been done! Can't even come up with ONE time, can ya!!!Orville......how about you! Bet you can't come up with ONE time, even in the last 40 years! You guys are crazy!" :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Got to give you credit cheesey. You got a simple mind. :thumbsup:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
sorry to interupt the pissing match, ladies, but i don't see how it could be unclear to anybody that our team made great strides this year. So no GM has turned a mediocre start into a great team, ok. Has Thompson made a lot of improvements with the mess of a team that he started here with? yes. and is anybody surprised that our team being mediocre and underachieving caused the hiring of a new GM? it seems to me that a great team doesn't make a whole lot of changes, if they can help it. Thompson inherited a ****** team, and that team is getting better. where's the problem?
Awww.....Bozz! You went and RUINED it!!! How DARE you come in here and mess things up with such a great honest true statement!!! :thumbsup:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Cliff said:

You asked Cory, not me.

I'm not in disagreement with you on that. I'd put money down that it hasn't happened. With that said, how many times had a 3 - 13 year came back the next year an played in the NFC/AFC championship game? Hasn't happened til this year, right?

I'm not even saying Ted is perfect. He made mistakes. Keeping Sherman, getting Manuel, letting Wahle go, etc... He's not perfect, no GM is. See I'm intelligent enough to understand that and accept it.

The New Orleans Saints were a better team than 3-13 last season. The circumstance surrounding the flooding in New orleans and the fact that they had no home field to play was obviously the reason for their poor record in 2005.

During Ron Wolfs first 32 games as Packers GM, the Packers went 16 - 16.

What moves could have been made by Ted to make us a better team the last two years with a better record?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Cliff said:
Zero2Cool said:
Cliff said:
Zero2Cool said:
Cliff said:

lol

Got to give you credit cheesey. You got a simple mind. :thumbsup:
Why....THANK YOU! Yes, i DO! Thats what makes it so EASY to reply in threads like this!
I just noticed i passed the 4000 post total, and now am "GM!"
Does that mean you are gonna go after ME now too???LOLOLOL!!! :thumbsup:

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cliff said:
cheesey said:
That article belongs under the "Well......DUH!" column.
It's kind of like saying........"If you want to win, you have to score more points then the other team!"
I think whoever wrote that needed to fill some space on a page, and couldn't come up with anything better.

Really, I'm sorry cheesey that the post is a little above your mentality.

Maybe a genius like you can answer a very simple question. Name another NFL team who'se new GM went 12-20 in his first 2 seasons and then made a comback to be successful?

I didn't think so...
What you are saying doesn't matter. Whether someone else ever did it before or not doesn't matter. Does that mean it CAN'T be done because no one did it before? (Maybe someone already did, i don't really care enough to put the time into it to check)
Before Dan Marino, no one ever threw for over 400 touchdowns. That means it CAN'T BE DONE! Right? By your own qualifiers, it was IMPOSSIBLE! (Marino did it)
Now.....NO ONE will ever catch Marino! Cause IT HAS NEVER BEEN DONE! (Uh....if Favre comes back for one year, that will probably change too).
TT has had TWO years now, and the players when he CAME here were NOT HIS PICKS! So how can you blame HIM??? He's only had a couple drafts to get players.
The Packers might as well just quit. Fold up their tents and never play again. After all, the GREAT and powerful CLIFF says it CAN'T BE DONE!!!

Bill Walsh was 8-24 in his 1st two seasons as the 49ers Head Coach. I can't remember if their was a GM or not but it's still a pretty telling statistic.

Bill Walsh

None the less the 49ers were not that good until he got there.

Chuck Noll was 6-21. Steelers weren’t that “special” before he got there.

Chuck Noll

Jimmy Johnson was 8-23 though Jerry Jones was in control of the team. 3-13 the year before with Tom Landry as well. Dallas was clearly on decline.

Jimmy Johnson

Speaking of Tom Landry..

Tom Landry

He didn’t win a game his 1st year in Dallas.

3 of them are Dynasty's by the way.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here are the records of the Teams in the NFC with winning records against teams with overall winning records in 2006.

Chicago....2-1
N.O..........2-1
Philly........2-2
Dallas.......1-3
Seattle.....1-3

The Packers went 1-5 against teams with winning records in 2006, which means yes they need to start beating teams with winning records, but it also means that The Packers played a tougher schedule than any of the teams that had a winning record.

The Pack had a good chance to beat N.O and Seattle, if either or both would have happened The Packers would have had just as many or more wins over teams with winning records than anyone else in the NFC.

The point here is that beating a team with an overall winning record is not an accurate stat, a lot come down to when you play a particular team in the year.

Good examples are Minnesota and Carolina, with 4 weeks left in the season, both teams were being touted by the "so-called experts" as the teams most likely to win out and get to the play-offs, well we all know what happened.

As I look at it, The Packers ended up being the 7th best team in The NFC, they were the last team eliminated for the play-offs,compared to 2005 a vast improvement.

In fact and reality, most of the improvement came in the last 4 games of the season where a young team finally realized and learned how to win close games, not having to rely on Brett to carry them on his back.

Whether anyone likes it or not, TT is putting together a team HIS WAY. If you ever read any of my posts from early last year you know that I did not agree with The firing of MS, or a lot of the early moves TT made, but unlike some of you I don't dwell on the past.

TT was given a job to do, and is doing it his way, whether or not these moves take us to another Superbowl while Brett is still around, only time will tell, but to say The Packers have shown no improvement in 2006 is a bogus statement.

I see this as being the critical year in TT's tenure, he has put together a good young team with enough veteran leaders left to take this team into the play-offs in 2007, with a couple of good FA pickups and another solid draft, I can see this happening.

BRETT FAVRE WILL BE BACK IN 2007!!!!!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Here are the records of the Teams in the NFC with winning records against teams with overall winning records in 2006.

Chicago....2-1
N.O..........2-1
Philly........2-2
Dallas.......1-3
Seattle.....1-3

The Packers went 1-5 against teams with winning records in 2006, which means yes they need to start beating teams with winning records, but it also means that The Packers played a tougher schedule than any of the teams that had a winning record.

BRETT FAVRE WILL BE BACK IN 2007!!!!!

I didn't realize that the Bears played less teams with winning records than the Packers, thats interesting, thanks!

And yes, Brett is playing in 2007 (I'm sticking to my guns on this!!)

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cliff do you not watch television.

Sportscenter is filled every year with stories of teams who were mediocre-to-terrible the season before, but are now in championship races. Whats the point of comin in here, and spouting off crap you cant prove, and that doesnt even make logical sense. just to be pissy? i could see your point if we didnt improve last year but we did, and against a tough schedule... including 3 of the 4 teams that played in conference championships this year.

its just rubbish.

OP
OP
C

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Packers went 9-7 for the 1st two seasons under Ron Wolf.

18-14...

OP
OP
C

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cliff do you not watch television.

Sportscenter is filled every year with stories of teams who were mediocre-to-terrible the season before, but are now in championship races. Whats the point of comin in here, and spouting off crap you cant prove, and that doesnt even make logical sense. just to be pissy? i could see your point if we didnt improve last year but we did, and against a tough schedule... including 3 of the 4 teams that played in conference championships this year.

its just rubbish.

The Packers were 1-6 vs playoff teams in 2006.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

18-14...

I said first 32 games. Those were not the first 32 games that Ron Wolf was GM of the Packers.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Um....New Orleans has ALWAYS had talent...I mean, they have been picking very high with regularity for years....but they lacked a consistent presence at QB and a coach with some stones. Now they have both.

Really poor analogy there as the Pack has, until only very recently, been picking quite late....and wasting many of those picks along the way. Do we REALLY need the players listed whom MS pissed away picks on, or simply made poor choices? It is a long one! That anyone would dispute that MS left the cupboards bare, and much of his team's core players were aging and succumbing to injuries, is beyond me.

I like what TT has done so far...but he has not done enought to be fully judged. Oh...by the way....it was Favre's comments that drove Walker beyond the point of no return...and I stand behind what he said as Walker was/is a punk *** turd. A talented one yes, but the stink is still there.

Very revisionist history.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Cliff said:
Zero2Cool said:
Cliff said:

You asked Cory, not me.

I'm not in disagreement with you on that. I'd put money down that it hasn't happened. With that said, how many times had a 3 - 13 year came back the next year an played in the NFC/AFC championship game? Hasn't happened til this year, right?

I'm not even saying Ted is perfect. He made mistakes. Keeping Sherman, getting Manuel, letting Wahle go, etc... He's not perfect, no GM is. See I'm intelligent enough to understand that and accept it.

The New Orleans Saints were a better team than 3-13 last season. The circumstance surrounding the flooding in New orleans and the fact that they had no home field to play was obviously the reason for their poor record in 2005.

What moves could have been made by Ted to make us a better team the last two years with a better record?

There were several things that could have been done in '05 to make the Packers a better team (that have been gone over here ad nauseum), Zero...

Personally, I think TT messed with the O-line in '05 so Sherman would tank, and he would have a good reason to get rid of him....things could have been done in '05 to make the team better that weren't...

I think people are getting a little ahead of themselves with the team on the rise stuff...

I say wait til' the end of this year to see whether this team can beat any teams with winning records, or can win at all if Favre retires....

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Cliff said:
Zero2Cool said:

18-14...

I said first 32 games. Those were not the first 32 games that Ron Wolf was GM of the Packers.

Ron joined the Pack in Green Bay Nov. 27, 1991 he didnt start in 92..

1991 after Ron
1-3

9-7 20 total games 10-10

1993 12 more games
6-6

for a total of 16-16 as Zero stated..

But Zero come on now...LOL

Ron took over a team with 4 games left in 91, how could he REALLY do anything in those 4 games to make a noticeable impact?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Cliff said:
Zero2Cool said:

18-14...

Ron joined the Pack in Green Bay Nov. 27, 1991 he didnt start in 92..

1991 after Ron
1-3

9-7 20 total games 10-10

1993 12 more games
6-6

for a total of 16-16 as Zero stated..

But Zero come on now...LOL

Ron took over a team with 4 games left in 91, how could he REALLY do anything in those 4 games to make a noticeable impact?
hah ... hey i thought it was clever :p

I kind feel the same way about Ted trying to build a team for Sherman to coach. I commend him for trying, but I jus don't see how you can come in, take a roll from a guy an expect it to work as his boss. I think Ted screwed up by not firing Sherman right away. But with that said, I think Harlan wanted Sherman to have a chance under Ted an urged Ted to see how it went for a year. Seems off the wall an stupid, I know, but there were somet hings Harlan said that put that theory in to my noggin.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Cliff said:
Zero2Cool said:
Cliff said:

You asked Cory, not me.

There were several things that could have been done in '05 to make the Packers a better team (that have been gone over here ad nauseum), Zero...

Personally, I think TT messed with the O-line in '05 so Sherman would tank, and he would have a good reason to get rid of him....things could have been done in '05 to make the team better that weren't...

I think people are getting a little ahead of themselves with the team on the rise stuff...

I say wait til' the end of this year to see whether this team can beat any teams with winning records, or can win at all if Favre retires....

You're kidding right? These conspiracies to undermine the organizations success would have resulted in swift repurcussions from Harlan and the board.

Thompson didn't need any reason to get rid of Sherman other than the two didn't see eye to eye. Sabatoging team results for personal goals is ludicrous.

So far, while every move hasn't been perfect, his changes with the personell of the line have been to the betterment of the team as witnessed by the improvement of the line throughout this last season.

Pack, you want to put the "0" line situation on TT when it was Sherman that left the house dirty. He had way more time to do something about the "0" line situation BEFORE Thompson ever got there and what did Sherman do? Virtually nothing.
He didn't get the money right or address the contracts ahead of time or draft some guys to at least step in. NOTHING.

"Here Ted, we got two great offensive guards whose contracts have to be worked out and two million bucks. I had a plan for this but for some reason forgot what it was."

Gee thanks. That and a cup of coffee will get you a cup of coffee.

I don't feel sorry for Sherman here. He made his own bed. If he had a clue how to handle the cap it would not have come down that way.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

You're kidding right? These conspiracies to undermine the organizations success would have resulted in swift repurcussions from Harlan and the board.

Thompson didn't need any reason to get rid of Sherman other than the two didn't see eye to eye. Sabatoging team results for personal goals is ludicrous.

So far, while every move hasn't been perfect, his changes with the personell of the line have been to the betterment of the team as witnessed by the improvement of the line throughout this last season.

What the hell are you talking about? I would never say a GM would tank a position to fire a coach without making a joke. People are kidding themselves thinking the team is improving? :nono: I've been saying the Packers are going in the right direction, 4 - 12 to 8 - 8 is IMPROVEMENT!

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cliff said:
Over the past 2 seasons under Ted Thompson's watch as GM, the Packers have only beaten two teams with winning records for the season. Both wins came on the last game of the season vs teams who had wrapped up HFA and had absolutely nothing to play for. Both teams wound up in the Super Bowl to obviously expose both fluke wins.

Before TT and MM can expect the Packers to become a playoff team they will have to learn how to beat teams with winning records. It goes with the turf.

This years Super Bowl teams, Indianapolis and Chicago were 15-3 combined at home. Last years Super Bowl teams, Pittsburgh and Seatlle were 13-3 combined at home. Going back 6 years, the Super Bowl teams are 81-15 combined at home. Does this ring a bell?

This is the classic example of taking numbers and using them any way you like to try and prove a point.

You can say TT's record is this or that but the TRUTH is he came in before the '05 season with a snow balls chance in hell to do much of anything with the team that first year.

Two million reasons for that being the case. That's what was in the kitty which amounts to NOTHING for bargaining chips with players in todays world.

Another number. 90%. That's the number starters that were from the Sherman regime in '05. Another example of how no money equals no impact.

Two last things. The losing at home started before TT ever got there first of all.

Lastly, not beating teams with winning records started before TT got here too. In '04 we did not beat a team with a winning record. That's right. Ten wins against teams with a losing record.

Those numbers are overrated anyways. Twenty of thirty two teams had losing records this year. The best teams are about 50/50 against the winning teams.

Throw TT's numbers around all you want. After all he's the Captain of the ship. The only thing your missing is the REALITY of it all is that the bow of the boat was the only thing above water when he got here.

So how much of the 4-12 in '05 can you really put on the guy?

Members online

Latest posts