Packers hire Titans' OC Matt LaFleur as their HC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AND, all this angst and he hasn't even been officially hired, nor has he named his staff yet. I would not be surprised if Pettine was named as DC, as I think his chances were actually better than 50/50 he was retained by the new guy. There's some good young pieces that will be starting year 2 of a defensive install with a coach that has shown he can be handed a pretty raw deal and still play. That shouldn't go unnoticed.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So LaFleur was OC for the Rams in 2017 and left to become OC for the Titans? Why make a lateral move?

morango

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok so I’m hearing from my bro who’s close friends with Ben McDaniels Josh’s younger brother that Josh was the first choice NOT Lafleur!! The only reason they chose Laflaeur
Is because Josh wanted HIS OWN coaching staff including DC!! I told you guys the only way Josh wouldn’t get the job is if the Packers didn’t let him chose who he wanted to retain which is exactly what happened! Smh I hate Murphy even more now, Gute really is just a puppet on a string! I’m pissed! I hope they got this right, but it’s BS not to let the incoming HC chose he wants!! Everyone including the HC will be Murphy’s puppet! That’s why he kept McCarthy and TT so long! I hope this Lafleur Guy isn’t some tool and this works out.

I will never claim to have “inside” information, and will always concede to facts when proven wrong.

That being said, I could disagree with you more. I think this is an excellent hire. I don’t know that much about LaFleur, but I can guarantee that Murphy and Gute know WAY more about him and the other candidates than all of us fans put together. He’s a former college quarterback, has a pretty good nfl coaching resume, is young and well-respected around the league.

Could he be a complete F-up? Sure, I suppose. But I’ll go on record as being in favor of the hire.

PS - one of the posters around here has been talking up lafleur for over a week now. But I can’t think of who it is.

Last edited:

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So LaFleur was OC for the Rams in 2017 and left to become OC for the Titans? Why make a lateral move?
raise?

Also, one thing to keep in mind is McDaniels has burnt a lot of bridges throughout his NFL career. The Packers would take a risk in hiring him, for him to pull what he did with the Colts and then they could **** off any other candidates.

Lafleur and Monken were my choices. I would have been ok with McDaniels, but to me he was risky. I'd rather have one of the guys behind the dynamic current Rams offense than anybody behind the Patriots offense right now.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never heard of the guy until now, but after doing 10 minutes of research on the guy, I'm impressed. The last 10 years he's been in some good coaching trees and offenses. This has the opportunity to be a big home run.

NorwegianPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure what's wrong with retaining Pettine. Campen can stay too.

Boot the rest of the pack.

NorwegianPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, Murphy's *** might be on the line too if we suck again. As well as Gutekunst.

I doubt they're going to hire a guy they can control if they're not getting great results out of it.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I bet Zook, Whitt and the rest stay on board. Pack had no problems canning MM and Moss before the season ended, no reason to keep those other guys unless they want them to stay.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could be worse. According to a graphic I saw on channel 7 news here in Denver the Broncos are high on someone named Manchunk.

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gotta see who we draft and what he gets to play with. I hope we don't continue drafting D with little to no results. . Oline first, protect the franchise. We've drafted enough D, time to draft O. And, PLEASE run an offense with a FB!

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For everyone here who have been lobbying for McDaniels please tell me one coach form the NE coaching tree that has done anything as a HC? The closest would be Bill O'Brien and the Houston Texans who can't even get out of its own way. Why has everyone crowned McDaniels as the next coming? Isn't he the same one who pulled the trigger on Tebow with a 1st Round Pick and had a choice when doing so including coaching staff hires leading to his firing? Isn't he the same guy who shunned Indy last year - probably because he wasn't sure what Andrew Luck he would get so he accepts the job and then leaves the team hanging. Kudos to Frank ***** for taking the Colts to the next level and making them look better as a team in just one year. I don't want a prima donna as a coach because then you'll get a fool like a Gruden where everything circles around them. Let's give Lafleur the chance he deserves, Pettine the opportunity to work his magic (remember - he was the first to show the NFL just how to slow down the Rams offense) and Gute the opportunity to build this roster into a championship unit.

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting irony for Packer fans who may be hockey fans: Mike Sherman is coaching the Montreal Alouettes; Matt LaFleur the Green Bay Packers. I hope Matt the coach is a successful here as Guy the player was there!

Anyway, my first reaction is relief: No McDaniels and not a retread. We'll see.

TXPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This guy will be another tool mark
My words! I pray we start off saddles blazing! Because if we don’t this guy might not last the entire year and things will get ugly! You can tell in his interviews and how he was with the Titans he’s basically the same personality as Gute. I’m not excited about this at all
Bro McDaniels sucks. I'm happy we got a guy from the Rams' (Shanahan) tree.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honest question. Why all the hate for Murphy? Did I miss something?

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Ok so I’m hearing from my bro who’s close friends with Ben McDaniels Josh’s younger brother that Josh was the first choice NOT Lafleur!! The only reason they chose Laflaeur
Is because Josh wanted HIS OWN coaching staff including DC!! I told you guys the only way Josh wouldn’t get the job is if the Packers didn’t let him chose who he wanted to retain which is exactly what happened! Smh I hate Murphy even more now, Gute really is just a puppet on a string! I’m pissed! I hope they got this right, but it’s BS not to let the incoming HC chose he wants!! Everyone including the HC will be Murphy’s puppet! That’s why he kept McCarthy and TT so long! I hope this Lafleur Guy isn’t some tool and this works out.
Is it possible that maybe, just maybe, he didn’t impress all that much during his interview? Is it possible that maybe the Packers were skeptical about a guy who has had just about zero sustained success without the greatest head coach and quarterback the National Football League has ever seen? Is it possible that certain character flaws, such as bailing on an agreement to become the head coach of the Colts, or being implicated in a taping scandal with a team other than the New England Patriots, gave the Packers cause for concern?

Rapoport, Schefter, and other’s get paid to be in the know. I think I’ll defer to their knowledge of the situation, as opposed to a lopsided view from the McDaniels family lol.

How quickly the Packers jumped at making LaFleur the head coach leads me to believe that he blew the Packers away, that they found their guy, and didn’t want to flirt with the possibility of him taking another job.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Comment I saw on a Titans forum:

"Hope Aaron Rodgers likes WR screens on 3rd and 17."

NorwegianPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully he doesn't retain Zook, Philbin and the rest of the stale guys from the last regime. Gotta start with fresh with new guys. Keep Pettine, Campen(O-Line Coach) and get your own guys in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online