Packers Hire New Defensive Coordinator: Jeff Hafley, formerly Head Coach, Boston College

OUpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Takeaways from intro presser:

Says coaches have to coach with energy if they expect the players to play with energy.

His job is to make it really easy to understand so they can just go out there and play and have fun

Team should enjoy playing with each other.

Said learning is a two way street that he learns from great players and changed techniques based on player input.

Sounds like a very focused individual. I came away with a lot of faith in his ability. I can see where he will inspire and develop more team chemistry.
I agree, he was well spoken and will
I think we're going to see more of this. If you're going to deal with pro players, why deal with minor leaguers when you can go to the big leagues.
and if you are at a school who doesn’t have the donor base to compete in the NIL game, you will never get the top recruits, along with losing all the players you developed.
The college coaches are now having to recruit high school players, transfer portal players while having to recruit their own players on a yearly basis. Players leave for money as there are no contracts and can now transfer unlimited times with no repercussions.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, he was well spoken and will

and if you are at a school who doesn’t have the donor base to compete in the NIL game, you will never get the top recruits, along with losing all the players you developed.
The college coaches are now having to recruit high school players, transfer portal players while having to recruit their own players on a yearly basis. Players leave for money as there are no contracts and can now transfer unlimited times with no repercussions.
Question on how players get paid for NIL. I thought it was the sponsors who paid - so Nike, Adidas, Under armor and on. Why would donor money be used to pay college athletes for NIL? Thanks!

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Question on how players get paid for NIL. I thought it was the sponsors who paid - so Nike, Adidas, Under armor and on. Why would donor money be used to pay college athletes for NIL? Thanks!
Wealthy and influential boosters are alowed to form a "donor collective" to gather funds from donors and businesses, like the "Yea Alabama Collective", or the "Gator Collective", or Wisconsin's "Varsity Collective". Some schools even have more than one. They can be either 501(C)3 non-profits or LLC, and they are technically independent of the schools.

It's basically a massive money-laundering scheme, existing for the sole purpose of raising money from as many sources as possible and funneling it to the athletes. They're the party that makes the deals with the athletes, paying them to endorse specific products, etc. Some college coaches don't even hide behind the "wink-wink", and just come right out and beg wealthy donors to pour more of their money into these collectives so they can "recruit" better players.

It's just rotten to the core, and I don't blame Hafley for seeing the writing on the wall and getting the hell out.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wealthy and influential boosters are alowed to form a "donor collective" to gather funds from donors and businesses, like the "Yea Alabama Collective", or the "Gator Collective", or Wisconsin's "Varsity Collective". Some schools even have more than one. They can be either 501(C)3 non-profits or LLC, and they are technically independent of the schools.

It's basically a massive money-laundering scheme, existing for the sole purpose of raising money from as many sources as possible and funneling it to the athletes. They're the party that makes the deals with the athletes, paying them to endorse specific products, etc. Some college coaches don't even hide behind the "wink-wink", and just come right out and beg wealthy donors to pour more of their money into these collectives so they can "recruit" better players.

It's just rotten to the core, and I don't blame Hafley for seeing the writing on the wall and getting the hell out.

Thanks 13. Had no idea how these operated. And if they are set up as 501(C)3s, there are no taxes paid by the collective, if I remember my tax law, as long as they distribute all their funds in one fiscal or calendar year, or at least show no profit after cash in, cash out, and expenses.

Hopefully the players have to pay taxes on their NIL money. Damn, what a racket. I suppose it had to be set up this way so schools could compete for players. Even so, in small markets and D2 teams, there won't be any interest in paying a player NIL money because their won't be any real sponsors.

Sounds like a good way to ruin college football, which was pretty ****** up to begin with. Thanks for the info and article.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm reading Larry Csonka's book and he tells of when he got his first job at Syracuse, first non college related job anyway. A wealthy car dealer who was a big backer of Syracuse hired him as a night watchman. As Larry put it " I was pretty sure he was paying me about $1.50 more an hour than the job was worth and was giving me more hours than normally would have been associated with it but I made sure to punch in as soon as I got there and leave as soon as I punched out because I didn't want to get the coach or the university in trouble with the NCAA."

There have always been ways but this whole NIL thing seems to be a way to "legalize" it within the rules.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm reading Larry Csonka's book and he tells of when he got his first job at Syracuse, first non college related job anyway. A wealthy car dealer who was a big backer of Syracuse hired him as a night watchman. As Larry put it " I was pretty sure he was paying me about $1.50 more an hour than the job was worth and was giving me more hours than normally would have been associated with it but I made sure to punch in as soon as I got there and leave as soon as I punched out because I didn't want to get the coach or the university in trouble with the NCAA."

There have always been ways but this whole NIL thing seems to be a way to "legalize" it within the rules.
It has essentially legalized the entire SEC and numerous other football factories around the country.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It has essentially legalized the entire SEC and numerous other football factories around the country.
I don't have an issue with athletes getting money that would otherwise go to the university. But there has to be a better way to do this than these partisan collectives. Basically, the schools with the biggest donors will attract the most marketable athletes.

It makes sense as being fair, but the execution of paying athletes is horrible and an invitation to corruption. Oh wait, that has always described college sports.

Reaction score
I’m a pretty optimistic guy. But when they mentioned Hafley was going to bring energy and excitement I kinda nervously laughed. That’s what they said about Joe Barry! I don’t want energy and excitement this isn’t a cheerleading competition.
I want to see blood spatter ! :whistling:

Ok. Just had to get that part out of my system thank you for listening. I’m fine now :laugh:

OUpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so they have enough money to compete, not enough big business sponsors for all schools. Each school has created a collective ran by a private entity that raises money and negotiates with players. At Oklahoma ithe main collective is Crimson and Cream. I get emails on a weekly basis to donate, sign up for monthly donations.
College football is pay for play without contracts

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have an issue with athletes getting money that would otherwise go to the university. But there has to be a better way to do this than these partisan collectives. Basically, the schools with the biggest donors will attract the most marketable athletes.

It makes sense as being fair, but the execution of paying athletes is horrible and an invitation to corruption. Oh wait, that has always described college sports.
I'm thinking Oregon isn't going to have a hard time getting good players.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are a lot of schools that will just continue to do well, all in big markets, or schools not on one of the coasts but with national reputations, like Oregon.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I don't understand is why the Badgers seem to be doing so well with the transfer portal. Does anyone have any ideas? What makes Madison so attractive all of a sudden to these top transfers; does the Varsity Collective really have that much clout? Do we have wealthier backers and donors than most other schools, or what?

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I don't understand is why the Badgers seem to be doing so well with the transfer portal. Does anyone have any ideas? What makes Madison so attractive all of a sudden to these top transfers; does the Varsity Collective really have that much clout? Do we have wealthier backers and donors than most other schools, or what?
UW has some very wealthy alums, especially in medicine and business. Not too surprising.

Yet why pay NIL money in such a small market? This is just me not understanding how a player drives his/her NIL value. Shoe sponsorship, other athletic gear sponsorship I get and that plays in any market. Even so, the larger the market reach, the larger the incentives, I think.......

OUpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ohio State spent around 11 million in the portal in December. I don’t see this being sustainable in college football. What happens when the big donors say, I have given enough.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
UW has some very wealthy alums, especially in medicine and business. Not too surprising.

Yet why pay NIL money in such a small market? This is just me not understanding how a player drives his/her NIL value. Shoe sponsorship, other athletic gear sponsorship I get and that plays in any market. Even so, the larger the market reach, the larger the incentives, I think.......
Yeah, exactly.... there must be a lot i don't understand about how this whole thing works. How many shoes are you going to sell in Madison? What are all the otyer pieces? I'm sure some people here must understand this a lot better than I do; I'm just bewildered while I watch all these people "poofing" through the transfer portal and rematerializing in Madison.

I mean; OK, guys, welcome to Wisconsin, and I'm glad to have you... but what do you want here? It's not like we're a Top 5 or even Top 10 team who's in the BCS every year..... what's in it for you?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, exactly.... there must be a lot i don't understand about how this whole thing works. How many shoes are you going to sell in Madison? What are all the otyer pieces? I'm sure some people here must understand this a lot better than I do; I'm just bewildered while I watch all these people "poofing" through the transfer portal and rematerializing in Madison.

I mean; OK, guys, welcome to Wisconsin, and I'm glad to have you... but what do you want here? It's not like we're a Top 5 or even Top 10 team who's in the BCS every year..... what's in it for you?
Glad I'm not alone. And how many big name players are there in college sports? One more thing that is beyond my reach.....

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
UW is successful in the portal, particularly on the offensive side with QB's and WR's, because of Longo. He developed some excellent QB's at UNC and is well known for running an offense that QB's, WR's, RB's, and TE's all like to play in. Not that *rap that Chryst ran the last 3 or so years.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
UW is successful in the portal, particularly on the offensive side with QB's and WR's, because of Longo. He developed some excellent QB's at UNC and is well known for running an offense that QB's, WR's, RB's, and TE's all like to play in. Not that *rap that Chryst ran the last 3 or so years.
I wondered if that was it, but wasn't sure if that alone could account for it. But that answer fits the pattern of the transfers we're seeing.

Thanks, appreciate the info.

Maybe not even simply that Chryst's scheme is finally out of here, but also maybe just that we finally seem to be shaking that stereotype that Wisconsin is purely a running team. I think that reputation and continued commitment to a grinding, ground-pounding offense has hurt us a lot in quarterback recruitment over the years. The top high school QBs, the ones who want to play in the NFL, want to throw the ball - not hand it off.

OUpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Money and the knowledge that if it doesn’t work they can portal out for more money and another opportunity

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Money and the knowledge that if it doesn’t work they can portal out for more money and another opportunity
But the exact same thing can be said about any one of 100 other schools - but there's a reason so many of them pick Wisconsin instead of a lot of others. Of the 18 Big Ten teams, College Football Network rates the Badgers 6th in terms of how well they did in the transfer portal, ahead of Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa, UCLA, and Nebraska. Just seems odd that we're beating out schools like that.

But then again I suppose it's also a balance between wanting to land with a team that's as good as possible yet not so loaded that you'll have a hard time getting on the field every Saturday. So maybe Wisconsin just happens to be right in that sweet spot.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But the exact same thing can be said about any one of 100 other schools - but there's a reason so many of them pick Wisconsin instead of a lot of others. Of the 18 Big Ten teams, College Football Network rates the Badgers 6th in terms of how well they did in the transfer portal, ahead of Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa, UCLA, and Nebraska. Just seems odd that we're beating out schools like that.

But then again I suppose it's also a balance between wanting to land with a team that's as good as possible yet not so loaded that you'll have a hard time getting on the field every Saturday. So maybe Wisconsin just happens to be right in that sweet spot.
Good point. Not every HS recruit is 4 or 5 stars. The guys lower than that want to go somewhere where they can play and be seen. I'm still a little mystified at UW's popularity in the portal. I still see it as a place where RBs and OLinemen are emphasized over passing. Seems like the NFL has a lot of OLs who came from UW.

A lot will probably change over the next ten years though. And it's only Fickell's second year and I think he still has enough reputation to attract solid recruits and transfers.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Good point. Not every HS recruit is 4 or 5 stars. The guys lower than that want to go somewhere where they can play and be seen. I'm still a little mystified at UW's popularity in the portal. I still see it as a place where RBs and OLinemen are emphasized over passing. Seems like the NFL has a lot of OLs who came from UW.

A lot will probably change over the next ten years though. And it's only Fickell's second year and I think he still has enough reputation to attract solid recruits and transfers.
Some coaches churn their roster. Some don't. Fickell will because he likes to. I think the days of great offensive linemen, linebackers and prolific RB's are over at Wisconsin. I suspect we'll see much fewer Wisconsin kids committed to the flagship football team and school. Fickell wants his Air Raid offense and will go wherever he can to get "his" players. Interesting to see how UW admissions will hinder Fickell. Gary Anderson couldn't handle it and apparently refused to heed Alvarez's warnings. I'm curious to see just how far Fickell has his head up his ******, and whether self extraction is possible.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some coaches churn their roster. Some don't. Fickell will because he likes to. I think the days of great offensive linemen, linebackers and prolific RB's are over at Wisconsin. I suspect we'll see much fewer Wisconsin kids committed to the flagship football team and school. Fickell wants his Air Raid offense and will go wherever he can to get "his" players. Interesting to see how UW admissions will hinder Fickell. Gary Anderson couldn't handle it and apparently refused to heed Alvarez's warnings. I'm curious to see just how far Fickell has his head up his ******, and whether self extraction is possible.
I've heard other coaches, college and pro, use the term "Air Raid" or some other reference to a lot of yardage through the air. That's all fine, but a QB still needs time to throw and the running game still has to be established. Balanced teams win a lot of games. If he wants to emphasize more passing than what we've seen at UW, fine. Just win games. Until then, "Air Raid" is just a meaningless bit of a phrase, and really, not very creative.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've heard other coaches, college and pro, use the term "Air Raid" or some other reference to a lot of yardage through the air. That's all fine, but a QB still needs time to throw and the running game still has to be established. Balanced teams win a lot of games. If he wants to emphasize more passing than what we've seen at UW, fine. Just win games. Until then, "Air Raid" is just a meaningless bit of a phrase, and really, not very creative.
Not exactly new:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_r...raid play concepts,cover in his assigned area.

Blocking is different for passing vs rushing. We will continue to recruit O linemen, just in a different form factor. Offensive weapons will want to come here. Just not the same kind of weapons.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not exactly new:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_raid_offense#:~:text=Fundamental air raid play concepts,cover in his assigned area.

Blocking is different for passing vs rushing. We will continue to recruit O linemen, just in a different form factor. Offensive weapons will want to come here. Just not the same kind of weapons.
I don't mind change at UW. They've been a very predictable run-first team for many years now. They produce some terrific O linemen and RBs, and the rare elite QB (Wilson) and LBs (Watts). So if Fickell can get the right players to support an improved passing game, fine w me. I just want to see them as a top 10 school nation-wide.

Members online

Latest posts