Packers have released Kingsley Keke

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
While there are currently players released around the league to make room for some others most of them don't have anywhere near as much NFL experience as Keke has.
Again, Keke may have been cut for various reasons and with the Texans saying it was due to cap purposes, that is all we know. Everything else is pure speculation.

Players with a lot of experience get cut all the time in the offseason, especially between the draft and the roster cutdowns to 53. So saying Keke had too much experience to have just been cut, isn't necessarily a correct assumption either.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Texans have just under $12Mil salary cap left, and Keke earned a salary bump to $2.468Mil in '22. That would've made him the 21st highest cap# on the Texans. IF he wasn't projected to be a starter or big contributor they may have decided to cut him & have a low-priced vet as backup, instead.

Once again, the Texans would have saved the same amount of cap space by releasing Keke at the final roster cutdowns before week 1. They don't need the cap space at this point.

Might be preferable to hang on to Lowry as injury insurance until October and see if any other teams get torn up from injuries to their d-line. His trade value may be greater in October.

You have to consider that once Lowry makes the roster in week 1 his salary becomes fully guaranteed though, meaning the Packers would be on the hook for it if they can't rade him during the season.

Again, Keke may have been cut for various reasons and with the Texans saying it was due to cap purposes, that is all we know. Everything else is pure speculation.

In my opinion it's a pretty good guess that he was released because of something else than talent.

Players with a lot of experience get cut all the time in the offseason, especially between the draft and the roster cutdowns to 53. So saying Keke had too much experience to have just been cut, isn't necessarily a correct assumption either.

Just name one experienced player that was cut since the draft aside of Keke.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, the Texans would have saved the same amount of cap space by releasing Keke at the final roster cutdowns before week 1. They don't need the cap space at this point.

People get cut this time of year because of legal stuff, personal stuff, they're way too expensive and before roster bonuses or being on the roster in March bonuses or whatever stuff they have. Or they are old and out of the new plan. It would be an exceedingly rare event for a young productive guy on a rookie contract to be cut in April/May. He's not 35 years old and on the decline. 2 million bucks in the NFL isn't much for a productive young player and like you said, he could be cut at Roster cut downs and save the same money.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s weird how people seem to want to find a rational reason for his release that does not involve saying he is a problem. It’s true that we really don’t know…nor do we have to care since he’s not a Packer, but i’d say the evidence points to him having issues.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It’s weird how people seem to want to find a rational reason for his release that does not involve saying he is a problem. It’s true that we really don’t know…nor do we have to care since he’s not a Packer, but i’d say the evidence points to him having issues.
I haven't seen anyone say that the definitive reason for his release was not due to him being a problem. Some of us are just pointing to the very little that we actually know and saying people need to slow their roll on drawing conclusions prematurely. Whereas, despite no direct proof and even the Texans saying it was a money move, some seem to be insisting it was due to him being a problem.

If you get pulled over and ticketed for running a red light, would we be correct to assume that the ticket you got 4 months later was for running another light?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whatever he's got going on, I hope he learns to contain it some. he has a lot of potential and he always reminded me a bit of Cullen Jenkins

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
- James Bradberry, CB, Giants cut 5/9, (6 years exp.)
- Braxton Hoyett DT, Saints cut on 5/11 ( 2 year vet)
- Garrett Gilbert, QB with Raiders, Cut 5/12 (6 year vet)
- Jalen Elliott, S, Lions, Cut 5/12 (1 year vet)
- Ty'Son Williams, RB, Ravens, Cut 5/10, (2 year vet)
- Malik Jefferson, OLB, Colts, Cut 5/10, (4 year vet)

This is kind of a pointless "exercise" since as I said, over the years, vet players are released all the time due to salaries and performance on and off the field, it is the nature of the game. I barely went through 2 days of transactions to find the 6 above and I don't even know the backups from other teams, but the waiver wires show a lot of guys being released. If I was a Ravens fan, I would probably have no clue who Keke was either.

Oh...and as Pkrjones just pointed out, The Cardinals just signed Keke yesterday. Maybe we will get more information about him if the Cardinals release him quickly too.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

- James Bradberry, CB, Giants cut 5/9, (6 years exp.)
- Braxton Hoyett DT, Saints cut on 5/11 ( 2 year vet)
- Garrett Gilbert, QB with Raiders, Cut 5/12 (6 year vet)
- Jalen Elliott, S, Lions, Cut 5/12 (1 year vet)
- Ty'Son Williams, RB, Ravens, Cut 5/10, (2 year vet)
- Malik Jefferson, OLB, Colts, Cut 5/10, (4 year vet)

This is kind of a pointless "exercise" since as I said, over the years, vet players are released all the time due to salaries and performance on and off the field, it is the nature of the game. I barely went through 2 days of transactions to find the 6 above and I don't even know the backups from other teams, but the waiver wires show a lot of guys being released. If I was a Ravens fan, I would probably have no clue who Keke was either.

Aside of James Bradberry no other player you mentioned has even close to the experience Keke has. Actually those five have combined to start a total of only six games in the NFL.

The Giants found themselves in a completely different situation with Bradberry than the Texans as they desperately needed cap space to be able to sign their rookie class.

Oh...and as Pkrjones just pointed out, The Cardinals just signed Keke yesterday. Maybe we will get more information about him if the Cardinals release him quickly too.

There's always one team in the league believing they can fix a troubled player. I predict the Cardinals will release Keke before the start of the season.

Reaction score
If you get pulled over and ticketed for running a red light, would we be correct to assume that the ticket you got 4 months later was for running another light?
You want to hear something funny. I got caught once for “failure to obey a Highway sign” My wife and I were directly behind a Semi Trailer going through an intersection and we were all moving at like 10mph (not the usual trying to run a yellow etc..) You couldn’t really see the light until we were far into the intersection. It didn’t come close to any realistic issue, but they said we hadn’t cleared the White paint before the light flipped. Obviously they were watching that intersection intently.
It was really a trivial ticket by a young green pea with an attitude. Ot was really a technicality without any danger to anyone whatsoever.

I did online an driving course and it was dismissed off my record with just a fine.

About a month later I drove through that exact same light and got caught again! It was the only 2 moving violations I had in about 7-8 years or so (normally they don’t catch me;))

So yes. My answer is yes! Possibly even the exact same one.
Now watch. Keke was probably late to practice because he was dropping off a handicapped Nun at Sisters of the Poor.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You want to hear something funny. I got caught once for “failure to obey a Highway sign” My wife and I were directly behind a Semi Trailer going through an intersection and we were all moving at like 10mph (not the usual trying to run a yellow etc..) You couldn’t really see the light until we were far into the intersection. It didn’t come close to any realistic issue, but they said we hadn’t cleared the White paint before the light flipped. Obviously they were watching that intersection intently.
It was really a trivial ticket by a young green pea with an attitude. Ot was really a technicality without any danger to anyone whatsoever.

I did online an driving course and it was dismissed off my record with just a fine.

About a month later I drove through that exact same light and got caught again! It was the only 2 moving violations I had in about 7-8 years or so (normally they don’t catch me;))

So yes. My answer is yes! Possibly even the exact same one.
Now watch. Keke was probably late to practice because he was dropping off a handicapped Nun at Sisters of the Poor.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Latest posts