Packers GM Brian Gutekunst

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jonathan Taylor was just another over rated back from Wisconsin said a few posters here....after his first few games. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
I'm guessing Taylor was viewed through the "Ron Dayne Glasses" by averaging 310 touches/year (over 3 years), where Dayne averaged the same over 4 collegiate years. They saw Dayne hit the wall after a couple of NFL years and didn't want to fall into the same trap. I completely understand that line of thinking with a high-usage RB.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm guessing Taylor was viewed through the "Ron Dayne Glasses" by averaging 310 touches/year (over 3 years), where Dayne averaged the same over 4 collegiate years. They saw Dayne hit the wall after a couple of NFL years and didn't want to fall into the same trap. I completely understand that line of thinking with a high-usage RB.

I won't go back to posts, but there are people here that think Badger Running backs are always over-rated due to strong offensive lines. While a few high end UW running backs have failed (Monty Ball) or burned out (Dayne) there have been a lot of successful ones too. Ball failed due to his off the field stuff, Dayne just burned out. This particular poster was gloating because he predicted that Jonathan Taylor would fail due to Badger OL making him look good. Not sure when, but maybe 2-4 games into Taylor's rookie season, that had gotten off to a slow start, said Poster came back to "gloat" saying he knew all along that Taylor was over-rated.

Anyway, young running backs gravitate to Wisconsin and they have another one, a 17 year old named Braelon Allen that has already turned a lot of heads. If you saw this years OL, you wouldn't attest his year to them. If he stays healthy, look out.

In really what amounted to about 10 games:

186 rushes1,268 yards6.8 yds/carry12 TD's

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Badger RBs do make their marks in the NFL. Just getting there, and being there for a few years is a point of success. Since the average RB has a short NFL career, people might take a look at this stat.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Badger RBs do make their marks in the NFL. Just getting there, and being there for a few years is a point of success. Since the average RB has a short NFL career, people might take a look at this stat.

Yup. James White has silently had himself a great career in New England. Fullbacks out of Wisconsin have made their marks in the NFL too.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won't go back to posts, but there are people here that think Badger Running backs are always over-rated due to strong offensive lines. While a few high end UW running backs have failed (Monty Ball) or burned out (Dayne) there have been a lot of successful ones too. Ball failed due to his off the field stuff, Dayne just burned out. This particular poster was gloating because he predicted that Jonathan Taylor would fail due to Badger OL making him look good. Not sure when, but maybe 2-4 games into Taylor's rookie season, that had gotten off to a slow start, said Poster came back to "gloat" saying he knew all along that Taylor was over-rated.

Anyway, young running backs gravitate to Wisconsin and they have another one, a 17 year old named Braelon Allen that has already turned a lot of heads. If you saw this years OL, you wouldn't attest his year to them. If he stays healthy, look out.

In really what amounted to about 10 games:

186 rushes1,268 yards6.8 yds/carry12 TD's
You already said… but I want to emphasize 17 years old. He was playing Spring football in Fon du Lac in High School… and a few weeks later he was practicing with the Badgers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You already said… but I want to emphasize 17 years old. He was playing Spring football in Fon du Lac in High School… and a few weeks later he was practicing with the Badgers.
Yes and.....he came here as a solid defensive player at linebacker. The RB part was found out during a scrimmage. He also was going to redshirt this year but between what 2-3 guys leaving/kicked off and 2 or 3 more getting hurt...he was 7th on the depth chart...."you are up!"

I'm really excited about him.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Allen is worth being excited about. This kid may be the best RB the Badgers will ever have. That's saying something considering the run of guys we've had.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Weirdly theres guys on there i remember but nobody that still posts except longtimefan and maybe gopackgo

And one guy who sounds like a Rodgers burner account??? Haha
Trom tried hand at comedy?

And I recall cal.. Have to dog up his posts

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Allen is worth being excited about. This kid may be the best RB the Badgers will ever have. That's saying something considering the run of guys we've had.
I agree. Already drawing comparisons to Derek Henry due to his size and power.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

You all may find this humorous. This is the discussion at the time we picked Brohm. Almost universal praise in this forum. Folks thought he was better than Rodgers and that we could trade him for a 1st in a year or two if he didn't take the starting spot from Rodgers.
TT was really
considering to draft Russell Wilson in 2012...he spent a lot of time watching tape of calling people.

This debate about Rodgers and love is so old and beating a dead horse. Ill post this again...

What if before that draft, Matt, and Brain saw stuff in practices, games and maybe Aaron himself said things?

Maybe their info led them to believe Rodgers was really slipping or said stuff to them??

lets spend energy debating this issue again..

im pretty sure only 2 (and I am 10000% sure they have direct knowledge) how? Ip address and direct talking to them and people I know to cross reference their stories

Only 2 maybe 3 have a REAL idea of what the front office was doing with Love and why.

But go ahead and think YOU ARE RIGHT

Not you Amish just the others

His 2019 season in a nutt shell

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Im glad TT didn't draft Wilson. Had he, I doubt Wilson ever becomes the QB he has. Stuck behind Rodgers for 4 years and then try to catch on with a team. Seattle was the perfect landing spot for him. Kind of funny that the Seahawks had just signed FA Matt Flynn to a decent sized contract and Wilson just blew right by him.

As far as the drafting of Love. There is more to the story than BPA. I don't know if it was quite the Favre situation, but the front office wasn't sure just how long Rodgers would be around or if they really needed him around. A quote from the article:

"In his first year in Green Bay, LaFleur has figured something out: Aaron Rodgers does not need to be responsible for the lion’s share of the Packers offense for the team to be successful."

Perhaps MLF and Gute saw an aging QB, that had a couple of seasons of injuries, followed by a season with a new coach, that statistically was one of his worst. If a decent QB was available in the draft, they get him for insurance from the above.

D

Deleted member 6794

Id agree he certainly wasnt a decent backup last season but this season I think he is...the team still had a chance to win against a Chiefs defense that at the time was considered bad but has been shown to be one of the best in the league

While Love might end up being a decent starter he hasn't shown anything justifying to consider him a decent backup up to this point.

The Packers defense playing exceptionally well against the Chiefs was the only reason the team had a chance to win that game at the end. The offense struggled mightily though.

Gotta agree with Poppa there. Trading a 32 and Love for a 16 overall is about the same as losing a top 50 selection (roughly middle of round 2).

If there is a shortage of QB’s in this years draft (I’m not arguing that there is or isn’t) the supply-demand value for a day 1-2 type QB goes up. In that case Poppa might be a little too conservative. He’s worth more like a Day 1 swap + another early day 3 selection, give or take.

Why would another team be interesting in giving up that much to acquire Love, who hasn't proven to be capable of being a decent starter, while they could call the Ravens and ask about Tyler Huntley???

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Love might end up being a decent starter he hasn't shown anything justifying to consider him a decent backup up to this point.

The Packers defense playing exceptionally well against the Chiefs was the only reason the team had a chance to win that game at the end. The offense struggled mightily though.

Why would another team be interesting in giving up that much to acquire Love, who hasn't proven to be capable of being a decent starter, while they could call the Ravens and ask about Tyler Huntley???

I have no idea what Love would be worth in a trade, but if I was another team, I doubt I'd go above a 3rd round pick. He hasn't shown anything that would excite a team enough to spend on him. I have no opinion on Huntley. I'd need to see a bigger body of his work.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which scenario would look worse for Gute?
1. Love never does anything of value for the Pack.
2. He trades Love for a 3rd rounder and he turns out to be a quality NFL QB.
Asking for a friend whose computer is in the shop.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What did we offer to get Favre?

Only asking as at the time we traded for Favre he wasn't the best nowhere near it.
I only remember that we traded our 1st round pick for a QB from Atlanta that I had never heard of and was a high 2nd round pick I think the year before. I did not know what to think. Just hope the guy was good. Turned out OK.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Only asking as at the time we traded for Favre he wasn't the best nowhere near it.
Ron Wolf, the Packers GM at the time loved Brett Favre and saw his extreme talent. The Packers had 2 first round picks in the 1992 Draft (#5 and #17). They had gotten the #17 pick from the Eagles in another trade the previous year. So Wolf was willing to pony up the #17 pick for Favre, who was never liked by Falcons coach Jerry Glanville. As a matter of fact, I think Glanville was dead set against picking Favre in the draft and had a fit when they selected him in the early second round, a fact he later disputed (after Favre's success). Glanville even said something like "It'd take a plane crash for me to play Favre."

Phil Young

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So on that basis Love may be worth more in trade value?

I hope #12 stays healthy for a few more years & pays at a high level for us so we don't have to worry about the back-up QB.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ok while that is true, you can say the same thing for the Chiefs, their defense playing exceptionally well is the only reason they won. And they had Patrick Mahomes at qb...

Lets see what he does in a couple hours

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So on that basis Love may be worth more in trade value?
There are so many bad talent evaluators and coaches in the NFL it only takes 1 to say "a Packer 1st round pick who has been coached up for the last 2 years has got to be better than us trading 2 1st rounders to move into the top 10 to take the 4th best QB in this draft". So many teams go into draft-hock to get a college phenom only to be back in the draft 3 years later to get another one...I think Love (or AR?) Will fetch draft value if Gute wants to trade one in March.

D

Deleted member 6794

I have no opinion on Huntley. I'd need to see a bigger body of his work.

I agree the sample size is too small on Huntley as well but there's no denying he has performed far better than Love in limited action.

Wolf had Favre as the #1 ranked quarterback during the 1991 draft when he was with the Jets but the Falcons took him with the last pick before the Jets' first selection that year.

Once he came to Green Bay he made sure to trade for him in a heartbeat.

Ok while that is true, you can say the same thing for the Chiefs, their defense playing exceptionally well is the only reason they won. And they had Patrick Mahomes at qb...

True, that doesn't change anything about Love struggling mightily against the Chiefs though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree the sample size is too small on Huntley as well but there's no denying he has performed far better than Love in limited action.
Are you looking at Loves stats in KC VS Hundley's last game with the Packers against the Lions?

Hundley: 14/24 172 yds 4 sacks 2 int's and 1 TD 59.7 rating

Love: 19/34 190 yds. 1 Sack, 1 int. 1 TD 69.5 rating

I wouldn't call that Hundley performing "far better" than Love. I would call it worse, especially considering how much experience that Hundley had at the time. Not to mention the defenses that each QB was facing.

Comparing Love to Hundley or Kizer at this point is kind of nuts, considering Love has only started one game.

Before you say it, of course I only am looking at one game for Hundley, but it was his last as a Packer and all we have is 1 game of stats for Love.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL....oops....my bad.....I was wondering how the heck the Captain could spell his name wrong AND say that he was far better than Love. My apologies Captain....

In the limited amount of work I saw, Huntley did look better than Love. Quicker release, better accuracy, zip on ball. Also, good instincts in reading the field. I just don't know if he can continue to improve, and be a viable QB over the long haul.

The question I do ask myself is this. Would I trade Love for Huntley? My answer is no. I just feel there has to be something in Love that the Packers saw, or they wouldn't have grabbed him. If it's there, and it's as good as they seemed to think, we could be looking at the third top level QB we've had in succession. If not, we're doomed to being a rebuilding team looking for a QB to bring them back to the top.

I know this answer sounds contrary to my view of the two QBs, but I'm a bit of a gambler.

Latest posts