Packers GM Brian Gutekunst

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
You all may find this humorous. This is the discussion at the time we picked Brohm. Almost universal praise in this forum. Folks thought he was better than Rodgers and that we could trade him for a 1st in a year or two if he didn't take the starting spot from Rodgers.
Glad I wasn't a forum member at that time.....I would have had to set you all straight that Rodgers was a FHOF QB! ;)

All this negative talk about drafting QB's with a late first or a second round pick is kind of comical for Packer fans. After all, we did the same for Rodgers and gave up a first rounder (17th pick) for Favre. I have no problem seeing a high draft pick used on a QB when you don't know what your QB situation might be in the upcoming 2-5 years. These teams that spend top 15 picks on QB's year after year and still don't have one, now as a fan of those teams, I would be frustrated.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That Brohm pick in my mind was worse than the Love pick and absolutely shows they werent spld on rodgers which is puzzling as then why get rid of Favre...they also took Flynn in the 7th.
I might be remembering this wrong, but didn't Favre "retire" in March of 2008 and Brohm was picked in the draft right after that? At that time, I don't think they were completely sold that Rodgers was the definite answer and with Favre retired, they so Brohm as talented insurance if Rodgers was a flop.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I highly doubt Love would bring that much in a trade at this point in his career.
Gotta agree with Poppa there. Trading a 32 and Love for a 16 overall is about the same as losing a top 50 selection (roughly middle of round 2).

If there is a shortage of QB’s in this years draft (I’m not arguing that there is or isn’t) the supply-demand value for a day 1-2 type QB goes up. In that case Poppa might be a little too conservative. He’s worth more like a Day 1 swap + another early day 3 selection, give or take.

That said. If I’m Gute I wouldn’t risk losing my #2 QB that I’ve spent resources developing for several years in my system for that minimal take. No thanks I’ll take my chances. Id tell interested teams “good luck in your day 3 and UDFA search pool, let me know if you change your mind, all more reasonable offers will be considered”.

Last edited:

Phil Young

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Noone knows how good someone will be when drafted. You can measure height weight look at 40 times arm span, heck even interview them & look at their accademic scores BUT you can't measure desire or heart & you can't measure potential.

Some peak in secondary school some at university some when much older. Maturity doesn't come at the same age for everyone. heck some never reach their potential. Look around your workplace or your friends 7 see how many are good at what they do & how many are just coasting. & how many want to learn even if been doing a role for years.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Noone knows how good someone will be when drafted. You can measure height weight look at 40 times arm span, heck even interview them & look at their accademic scores BUT you can't measure desire or heart & you can't measure potential.

Some peak in secondary school some at university some when much older. Maturity doesn't come at the same age for everyone. heck some never reach their potential. Look around your workplace or your friends 7 see how many are good at what they do & how many are just coasting. & how many want to learn even if been doing a role for years.
Yeah, I am still immature for my maturity! :coffee:

Reaction score
We have clearly got it too easy this week.
Now get back to work!! (In my best 1970’s Show, RED voice!)

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

You all may find this humorous. This is the discussion at the time we picked Brohm. Almost universal praise in this forum. Folks thought he was better than Rodgers and that we could trade him for a 1st in a year or two if he didn't take the starting spot from Rodgers.
Too funny. Looks like posters way back then didn't believe in player development either. Slow to learn that things don't stay the same for many players early in their career.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone remember Craig Nall?

Everyone remembers Craig Nall...Are you Craig Nall

Unless that player is TJ Watt that one was easy to measure heart and potential

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I literally screamed when they picked King...Watt was there...I was beside myself.
I honestly thought Watt was ours and it was the easiest Pick that TT ever had to make. When he traded out and Pittsburgh grabbed him, that was when I screamed. We had already spent way too much on high draft picks for the secondary and TT blew the first 2 picks on King and Jones! :x3:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
To be fair Ted got more right than he got wrong but yes that was one he got wrong
TT was awesome, up until his last few drafts. I also want to say that despite drafting Kenny Clark, Clay Matthew's and a few other decent defensive players, he seemed to fair much better with guys he drafted on the offensive side of the ball.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah Rodgers was getting first shot but by drafting a guy in 2nd round they were showing a lack of confidence that he would either succeed or stay healthy

You dont draft a qb 1st or 2nd round hoping hes a good backup i definitely agree with Wimm on that...
After more thought...you are right. I think they drafted him because they were not completely sure Rodgers would turn out great. I don't remember the pick bothering me much at the time.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Imagine how the Jaguars feel. Drafting Trevor. He’s not even worth a 6th rounder with some people’s logic.:whistling:
What was his draft value again?
Jonathan Taylor was just another over rated back from Wisconsin said a few posters here....after his first few games. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And Dillon was worthless oaf that had cinder block hands to those same folks
It took Dillon a little time to learn how to wait on his blockers, but when he got it, he was rolling. He's a big guy, and runs over would be tacklers. When a runner is quicker, and as big as linebackers, you've neutralized their size factor. Dillon is all of that.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Imagine how the Jaguars feel. Drafting Trevor. He’s not even worth a 6th rounder with some people’s logic.:whistling:
What was his draft value again?
Imagine how the Bears feel. Drafting Fields to be the face of the franchise when you still have a SB Champion QB in Nick Foles.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Imagine how the Bears feel. Drafting Fields to be the face of the franchise when you still have a SB Champion QB in Nick Foles.
Even worse....drafting of turd Biscuit with the #2 pick in the draft that they had felt that they had to give the 49'ers the 3rd pick + two third-round picks and a fourth-round pick in order to get him.

I think the turd hits the fan in Chicago this year and both Nagy and Pace are gone.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even worse....drafting of turd Biscuit with the #2 pick in the draft that they had felt that they had to give the 49'ers the 3rd pick + two third-round picks and a fourth-round pick in order to get him.

I think the turd hits the fan in Chicago this year and both Nagy and Pace are gone.
I guess we can feel bad for them.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Was surprised to see that "turd" is on the censor list!
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Latest posts