Packers get their compensatory picks

packersfan152

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So the Packers are awarded a 3rd round and 5th round. Now that is 3 picks in the top 100, at 21, 53, 85 and now 98.

Now, let's say that a top team falls in love with a QB but thinks they can wait and get them in the late first round. Potentially the Vikings, Titans, Bucs... OR even a team behind us falls in love with how the draft is falling and want to get their guy at 21, possibly Panthers or Patriots.

If we can trade back, let a tea trade 1's and give us a 2 and a 3 that would be 5 pics in the first 3 rounds. Where do you think they would go? Safety, ILB, WR, DL, OLB?

I know a lot of people are in love with the potential safeties in round one, but if someone if begging to toss us some extra pics to get a player, why not do it and bring in the reinforcements to the team.

Thoughts?

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both Picks this year are Huge!
Also, as it stands right now GB would qualify for 4 Compensatory Picks next year with the losses of Deitrick-Smith, MD Jennings, James Jones, & Marshall Newhouse. The signing of both Peppers & Guion don't count against GB since neither were UFA's. They were both cut as Cap Casualties. Also, if Finley signs elsewhere then it would be a 5th Compensatory (that is if all of them make their teams). Ted Thompson is working his magic and is on a roll!

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So the Packers are awarded a 3rd round and 5th round. Now that is 3 picks in the top 100, at 21, 53, 85 and now 98.

Might want to double check that math.

Now, let's say that a top team falls in love with a QB but thinks they can wait and get them in the late first round. Potentially the Vikings, Titans, Bucs... OR even a team behind us falls in love with how the draft is falling and want to get their guy at 21, possibly Panthers or Patriots.

If we can trade back, let a tea trade 1's and give us a 2 and a 3 that would be 5 pics in the first 3 rounds. Where do you think they would go? Safety, ILB, WR, DL, OLB?

I know a lot of people are in love with the potential safeties in round one, but if someone if begging to toss us some extra pics to get a player, why not do it and bring in the reinforcements to the team.

Thoughts?

If the NFL rumor mill is correct, a lot of teams would like to move back in this draft, so everyone's thinking that way.

Let's keep our options open. If the right opportunity presents itself, picking up extra picks in such a deep draft sounds great. But the number of teams looking to move back could mean the value just isn't there. In fact, this might be the year to move up for a special prospect since it sounds like a buyer's market.

We'll probably end up just sitting on our pick since there are several players in the first round that can give our defense a boost and I imagine at least one of them slips to 21.

Last edited:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thoughts?

I don't think TT looks at the draft and says for sure we need to make sure to get a guy at all these positions.

I do think if players are even in ability though, he'll go with the need pick. Or if they want to target a position, they'll make need fit the value like picking up Lacy after trading down, meaning other guys were higher on their board at the time. Some picks like Perry and Jones do seem like need picks, but I bet they were also at the top of their board.

But if they pick up say Pryor in the first round and there's a safety who is by far the number one guy on their board the next round, they'll pick the safety if they can't move down and get more value.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
everyone wants to trade down so I am not sure what the market will be, but I hope we pick up a couple extra picks.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This is very good news. I was prepared to be disappointed that they only got a 4th for Jennings and they got the second 3rd rounder awarded. I wasn't sure about Walden so I'm happy they got the last 5th rounder awarded instead of a pick at the end of the 6th round. If this draft is as deep as some "experts" say, the Packers won't need to trade down to score big with 4 picks in the first 100. We'll see on draft day if the teams access this draft as the experts do - if teams have to pay a premium to trade down, they do. Even if that's the case, they only need one team to fall in love with a player at the Packers' spot if Thompson wants to trade down.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That extra 3rd Rounder is HUGE!

They're both huge and both insane value. Jennings is just fantastic. I just can't get over 2nd round pick, used him up for 7 years, let Minny overpay for him, and flipped him for a 3rd. I love it.

Anything for Walden is considered a win IMO.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Thoughts?
Both Picks this year are Huge!
Also, as it stands right now GB would qualify for 4 Compensatory Picks next year with the losses of Deitrick-Smith, MD Jennings, James Jones, & Marshall Newhouse. The signing of both Peppers & Guion don't count against GB since neither were UFA's. They were both cut as Cap Casualties. Also, if Finley signs elsewhere then it would be a 5th Compensatory (that is if all of them make their teams). Ted Thompson is working his magic and is on a roll!

They won't get anything for MD Jennings because he was an untendered RFA and they won't get anything for Newhouse because the contract he signed was too small. They'll probably get a pair of 6 round compensatory picks. One each for EDS and Jones.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This just proves the TT philosophy works. Like ACE said above we draft, develop and use a player for X amount of time and if things don't work out and they want a bigger payday they leave and we get a great pick in return. Thompson can do some serious damage in those middle rounds and with the '14 Draft being more balanced then top heavy (IMO) I think he will add some nice talent with these additional picks. If I recall right we grabbed Hyde in the 5th last year so that shows what sort of talent is available come those later rounds. Hopping in the way back machine we also got one Aaron Allan Kampman in the 5th...fingers crossed!

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They're both huge and both insane value. Jennings is just fantastic. I just can't get over 2nd round pick, used him up for 7 years, let Minny overpay for him, and flipped him for a 3rd. I love it.

What makes it sweeter, TT traded down from the "better" receiver prospects and then reached on a guy who was supposed to go in the third. Even better Bill Bellicheck drafted Chad Jackson with that pick, a bust.

Last edited:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a great deal for us, as there is no way Walden would have fetched a 5th on the trade market, and I doubt Jennings would have landed a 3rd either.

Teddy is great at manipulating the system and setting us up for comp picks almost every year. Consider Peppers will not count against us for next year's comps and we should again be coming out ahead with comps next year.

The best thing about the comp picks is the flexibility it gives you. You can't trade the comp picks, but it gives you options with your regular picks. If you want to move up 5 spots in the 1st and use a 3rd to do it, the comp in the 3rd gives you that option while still giving you a pick in the 3rd.

Personally if our guy isn't there at #21 I love the idea of trading down for an extra pick given the depth of the draft and ending up with 5 picks in the first 3 rounds.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree, both picks are a win. The extra 3rd Rounder is gigantic. It gives the Packers another shot at a top 100 player. The Walden pick is almost unthinkable since I never had a high opinion of him.

Maybe this Ted Thompson guy knows a thing or two.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree, both picks are a win. The extra 3rd Rounder is gigantic. It gives the Packers another shot at a top 100 player. The Walden pick is almost unthinkable since I never had a high opinion of him.

Maybe this Ted Thompson guy knows a thing or two.

Actually we have to thank Ryan Grigson for the compensatory pick for Walden. I´m still baffled about the contract he signed Walden to.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you see other teams sign guys like Walden for such money it should make you appreciate TT even more. For the life of me I can't understand why you would give a guy like Walden that kind of chili. You could very easily take a guy in the 4th-7th round and get as much production if not more while spending a fraction of the money. Good for EW for getting paid but I am sure glad as hell it's not us dishing out the cash. Head scratcher...

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Found this gem...ouch

According to Pro Football Focus, Walden was the NFL's worst 3-4 outside linebacker during 2011 and 2012. He wasn't one of the worst; he was the worst.

In 2012, Walden's PFF season grade of minus-25.5 as a pass rusher ranked dead-last in the league, and in 2011, his minus-17.6 grade in run defense ranked 28th among 28 players at the position.

Members online

Latest posts