Packers fire Slocum

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

....I'm bumping this thread back to discuss the broader special teams, versus the Tim Masthay-focused punting thread I started.

I think that Zook did a decent job pulling this group up. I didn't expect a worst-to-first turn around, but am still expecting things to improve. They need to get somebody quick returning punts, but admittedly I'd rather have sure handedness over a few extra yards. The biggest concern that I see is having the kickoff coverage unit. It's still swimming in the garbage pile and must improve.

I agree the special teams significantly improved last season with Zook being the coordinator but there´s still room to do better. Punt return and kickoff coverage are the units in need of an upgrade.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree the special teams significantly improved last season with Zook being the coordinator but there´s still room to do better. Punt return and kickoff coverage are the units in need of an upgrade.

Is Monty capable of punt returning? I would just like to find a guy who can break one at any given moment. That's always bothered me.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that Montgomery will need to prove his health at WR first. He seems a little big for PR vs KR though.

Stick Cobb back their for punts again until he re-proves his worth at WR. (sort of kidding)

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Is Monty capable of punt returning? I would just like to find a guy who can break one at any given moment. That's always bothered me.

I don´t think Montgomery is a great fit returning punts. Hyde has been spectacular in that position during the first two years in the league but for some reason regressed last season.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Abby was thrown back there after Cobb and Hyde went down during the playoffs. He also was set to try out at KR until he couldn't stay healthy in camp last season.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Abby was thrown back there after Cobb and Hyde went down during the playoffs. He also was set to try out at KR until he couldn't stay healthy in camp last season.

True, but I would prefer to have a returner not as injury-prone as Abbrederis.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

IMO Montgomery is the front runner to return kickoffs next season. The punt returner job might be up for grabs in camp but I prefer ball to have a guy back there not struggling with ball security.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've always looked at kick returners as guys like Janis who have straight speed with a move here or there. Punt returners would ideally be a Barry Sanders type, guys that can make a lot of quick twitch moves in a short amount of space. Cobb did well at it.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I've always looked at kick returners as guys like Janis who have straight speed with a move here or there. Punt returners would ideally be a Barry Sanders type, guys that can make a lot of quick twitch moves in a short amount of space. Cobb did well at it.

Montgomery did pretty well returning kickoffs in limited opportunities last season. The same is true for Hyde on punts over the first two years of his career.