Packers find new wr coach, Jim hostler

OP
OP
J

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe he can put in a good word for moncrief. Would love to add moncrief to the wr core opposite Adams with jordy in the slot

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Maybe he can put in a good word for moncrief. Would love to add moncrief to the wr core opposite Adams with jordy in the slot
The time has come for Jordy to move inside. I think he can be really effective there.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The time has come for Jordy to move inside. I think he can be really effective there.

I agree about nelson I think him in the slot gives the packers 2 of the best slot relievers in the NFL in Cobb and Nelson. As far as moncrief I liked him coming out of college seems like he hasn't put it together yet. I'd prefer a guy like Allen Robinson if the Packers were in the market for a somewhat risky somewhat expensive free agent wr. But with the draft so deep with what seem like potential future number 1 relievers I'd prefer the new gm draft one of them

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very much so. I envision him as being a Wes Welker-type slot receiver. I'm still baffled that Nelson hasn't been utilized like that during the past few seasons because I believe that's the position where he would most excel. The occasional 60-yard deep ball (or 30-yard sideline catch) is nice but that's only successful a handful of times per year. The 10-yard crossing route can be successful a handful of times per GAME for a receiver and it opens up a plethora of other opportunities in the passing & running game when long offensive drives can be sustained.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree about nelson I think him in the slot gives the packers 2 of the best slot relievers in the NFL in Cobb and Nelson. As far as moncrief I liked him coming out of college seems like he hasn't put it together yet. I'd prefer a guy like Allen Robinson if the Packers were in the market for a somewhat risky somewhat expensive free agent wr. But with the draft so deep with what seem like potential future number 1 relievers I'd prefer the new gm draft one of them
I am in the midst of a mock, and I am doing both. Moncrief has suffered from unstable QB play, injuries, and an offense low on skill talent. He is tall and fast and has played very well through stretches. I would prefer him over Robinson, whom you could make a nearly identical argument. Both could be great if teamed with AR.

I also have the Pack drafting St. Brown in the 2nd. Tall and fast but limited college production due to the offense. Suspect he will shoot up the boards and go in the 1st with a good combine a senior week.

We will have turnover in the next 2 years at WR. Jordy and Cobb are nearing the end and we need to have depth behind Adams in case this whole concussion thing isn' a fluke.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy has 1 season left on his contract and he said he wanted to retire after that IIRC. I can't imagine he wants to be Wes Welker and get his brains bashed in during his final season.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am in the midst of a mock, and I am doing both. Moncrief has suffered from unstable QB play, injuries, and an offense low on skill talent. He is tall and fast and has played very well through stretches. I would prefer him over Robinson, whom you could make a nearly identical argument. Both could be great if teamed with AR.

I also have the Pack drafting St. Brown in the 2nd. Tall and fast but limited college production due to the offense. Suspect he will shoot up the boards and go in the 1st with a good combine a senior week.

We will have turnover in the next 2 years at WR. Jordy and Cobb are nearing the end and we need to have depth behind Adams in case this whole concussion thing isn' a fluke.
Moncrief will be cheaper. But Robinson is much better.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was great early in his career, but the last time I saw him play, he didn't look like much. I haven't watched many jaguar games to know really.
Besides a game against GB last year, their playoff game will be the only other game of theirs i've seen in probably the past 5 years. I know nothing of them.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see Bennet is moving on. Said no to another position on the coaching staff. Can’t much blame him. A lot of shake up going on.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very much so. I envision him as being a Wes Welker-type slot receiver. I'm still baffled that Nelson hasn't been utilized like that during the past few seasons because I believe that's the position where he would most excel. The occasional 60-yard deep ball (or 30-yard sideline catch) is nice but that's only successful a handful of times per year. The 10-yard crossing route can be successful a handful of times per GAME for a receiver and it opens up a plethora of other opportunities in the passing & running game when long offensive drives can be sustained.

He's lined up a lot in the slot especially in 2016 and been very productive, I'm not sure about 2017

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah I agree who knows about nelson and Cobb especially if new gm comes from outside. Adams is great but yeah he's getting close to bad news. But it's the NFL so that goes for everyone every play. But on top of that I'm not a fan of Allison, Davis or Janis they are all canidates for upgrades. I like Clark but he could probably use another year on ps or as a 7 that's inactive. I'd like to see Adams nelson Cobb back for at least one last run with Rodgers. After that I'd say sign one draft 2 or even draft 3 but get some serious competition in there for those last 3/4 spots. St brown is one I like for sure he's got size speed and seems to be able to jump like an NBA player or maybe more of an Olympic long jumper/ high jumper. But I don't know if I'd do that in the NFL if I was him. I do think moncrief could be good with Rodgers but he did play his first 2 years with luck on the field while Robinson has never played with a real NFL qb and he still put up a lot better more consistent numbers. I think he's the better player despite the speed so if they went that route I think I'd take him although he's coming off an acl so idk.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see Bennet is moving on. Said no to another position on the coaching staff. Can’t much blame him. A lot of shake up going on.

Yeah this is concerning he's moving on and he's upset about it. Seems like the empire is crumbling. Alonzo highsmith left for the browns and made some very telling comments. Reggie McKenzie declined to interview could be nothing more than he's a friend of gruden and had everything to do with him going to the raiders or he just prefers sun. Could also be he's glad to be gone and ain't going back. The receivers coach who by all accounts was really good left for a college job. Bennett declined receivers coach job angerily and he's played or worked for the team for 22 of the last 25 years of his life. McCarthy is saying he's quitting if Russ ball gets the job and eloit wolf is also gone if ball is hired. Idk I probably missed something but that's a lot of turmoil for the normally boring Packers. The only thing I can think of like this anytime recently was how Kevin Greene left that did not seem right and I believe now he's back in the league and he gave no thought to returning to Packers. Also I get martellus Bennett is crazy that's why he's played for so many teams only 1 or 2 years everyone knew that well before the Packers signed him but with all this maybe that whole situation was just another indication of a seriously damaged front office coaching situation

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like that there seems to be (for lack of a better word) nepotism. Especially in McCarthy's case. He is fine with allowing everyone to rise to their level of incompetence as long as he is comfortable with having known them before. I hope we hire outside. Why would I want a Def Coordinator that was coaching DBs and Corners last year? If McCarthy doesn't like it...let him walk. His success has more to do with QBs than anything else and I honestly do not believe he is some fantastic maker of quarterbacks. I am just kind of angry that this big shakeup seems to be turning into same old.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Besides a game against GB last year, their playoff game will be the only other game of theirs i've seen in probably the past 5 years. I know nothing of them.
I stopped watching games other than Packers. Only non Packer games I have seen are if at someones house or at a bar. That won't change anytime soon.

Members online

Latest posts