Packer's fan...Do you really wanna win or look good losing?

D

Deleted member 6794

There are a lot of fans who think nothing will change as long as the Packers keep making the playoffs so they are willing to give up making the playoffs if it means change will happen.

I'm not convinced Murphy would make any changes even if the Packers end up missing the playoffs.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
This isn't a SB contender.
So making it to the NFCCG 2 of the past 3 seasons means this team has no shot at winning it and getting to the super bowl. So no one but Atlanta can be considered a contender in the NFC? Dallas just had their secondary leave. They still a contender? Who else you got in the NFC, Chicago? Detroit? Tampa?

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So making it to the NFCCG 2 of the past 3 seasons means this team has no shot at winning it and getting to the super bowl. So no one but Atlanta can be considered a contender in the NFC? Dallas just had their secondary leave. They still a contender? Who else you got in the NFC, Chicago? Detroit? Tampa?

I'm a fan. I'll ***** and moan. I'll still watch. We see what this team's shortcomings have and will continue to be. We've seen that Rodgers has to be near perfect for them to win a majority of games. I just think they are a notch below SB threats such as Atlanta ( Ryan, Gabriel, JJ, Freeman, that DE), NE, Steelers ( BB, Brown is better than Nelson by a mile, Bell). I honestly think the Giants ( ODBJ, Sheppard, BM, that D) as a whole are better if they fix the OL.

That's my opinion. Draft could change things. However as of April 1st 2017, the Packers aren't on those teams level as a " whole".

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Making it to the NFCCG 2 of the last 3 years has nothing to do with the team's chances this coming year.
"We made the NFCCG 2 out of the last 3 years!!" seems to be the new mantra here. If so, it sucks.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm a fan. I'll ***** and moan. I'll still watch. We see what this team's shortcomings have and will continue to be. We've seen that Rodgers has to be near perfect for them to win a majority of games. I just think they are a notch below SB threats such as Atlanta ( Ryan, Gabriel, JJ, Freeman, that DE), NE, Steelers ( BB, Brown is better than Nelson by a mile, Bell). I honestly think the Giants ( ODBJ, Sheppard, BM, that D) as a whole are better if they fix the OL.

That's my opinion. Draft could change things. However as of April 1st 2017, the Packers aren't on those teams level as a " whole".
So you agree that Atlanta is the only SB contender in the NFC.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My understanding is that Ted's contract expires at the end of the 2018 NFL draft. There's at least a fair chance that Eliot Wolf takes over at that point.

I don't know if Mike McCarthy plans to continue beyond that point or not. I am fairly confident that if the Packers fire him at some point, his phone will be ringing immediately. Few coaches currently in the NFL has had as much sustained success as he has had, warts and all. I don't know who Green Bay would then replace him with, but he'll be under a lot of pressure to win quickly.

It's easy to fire someone, harder to find the right replacement. Ask San Francisco.

Why would his contract expire after the 2018 draft? That's stupid. If the Pack fall short of at least making the SB, then cut bait before the combine. Put the young Wolf in place and get a fresh perspective. To keep TT on after essentially another offseason is idiotic. Furthermore, where TT goes after his stint here is over is irrelevant. Who cares? That's like keeping tabs on your ex-woman after the union dissolves. Keep it moving. Whether retirement or another organization...Who gives a $#;+!!! #wedontchasethemwereplacethem

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know some have mentioned MM in this thread. I pose the following question to all: How many SB's does this team get to with BB from NE? Just curious is all.

Why is his team always on the short end ( OT losses, SF in GB, Almost Dallas) of close playoff losses? He is almost Marty Schoetenheimer ( Sp?) with one ring. I legitimately ask btw. Not trying to pile on him.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I live in SAN Diego, and saw how bad they were after firing Marty for going 14-2 and losing in the playoffs. They went titanic. Now they are in Los Angeles and have no fan base in the 619.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know some have mentioned MM in this thread. I pose the following question to all: How many SB's does this team get to with BB from NE? Just curious is all.

Why is his team always on the short end ( OT losses, SF in GB, Almost Dallas) of close playoff losses? He is almost Marty Schoetenheimer ( Sp?) with one ring. I legitimately ask btw. Not trying to pile on him.
Oh dear lord, how many SBs do we get with Belichick? More than NE's had, I bet. But not because he's so much better than McCarthy, but because he would be the GM also. And because there's no way our defense would stink and collapse so regularly like it has with Belichick at the helm.

I like McCarthy. He's not as good as Belichick (who is?), but when you talk about this team I don't think he's the problem (unless it's because he sticks with Capers maybe). I think the problem is TT keeps us just below top level. Rodgers pushes us to the playoffs, and TT gets the rest of the team on the cheap. So we don't get over the hump. First we couldn't get past the Giants. Then we couldn't get past the 49ers. Then we couldn't get passed the Seahawks. Then we couldn't get past the Cardinals. Then we couldn't get past the Falcons. Next year we probably get beat by the flavor of the season again. I don't expect anything else anymore, until they do something about this defense.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh dear lord, how many SBs do we get with Belichick? More than NE's had, I bet. But not because he's so much better than McCarthy, but because he would be the GM also. And because there's no way our defense would stink and collapse so regularly like it has with Belichick at the helm.

I like McCarthy. He's not as good as Belichick (who is?), but when you talk about this team I don't think he's the problem (unless it's because he sticks with Capers maybe). I think the problem is TT keeps us just below top level. Rodgers pushes us to the playoffs, and TT gets the rest of the team on the cheap. So we don't get over the hump. First we couldn't get past the Giants. Then we couldn't get past the 49ers. Then we couldn't get passed the Seahawks. Then we couldn't get past the Cardinals. Then we couldn't get past the Falcons. Next year we probably get beat by the flavor of the season again. I don't expect anything else anymore, until they do something about this defense.

Agreed with everything but the bolded part; he is so much better.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed with everything but the bolded part; he is so much better.
I agree Belichick is better, by what degree is difficult to compare. McCarthy mainly runs the offense, and has to do with whatever TT decides to give him. Belichick is a great defensive mind, obviously, and acts as GM also, so if he wants a certain player, he can go out and get one.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not convinced Murphy would make any changes even if the Packers end up missing the playoffs.

So they miss it for several years straight. Some fans, maybe not you, would be willing to take that for a change to happen. The thing is Ted would step down long before that would happen.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would his contract expire after the 2018 draft? That's stupid. If the Pack fall short of at least making the SB, then cut bait before the combine. Put the young Wolf in place and get a fresh perspective. To keep TT on after essentially another offseason is idiotic. Furthermore, where TT goes after his stint here is over is irrelevant. Who cares? That's like keeping tabs on your ex-woman after the union dissolves. Keep it moving. Whether retirement or another organization...Who gives a $#;+!!! #wedontchasethemwereplacethem

I'm not sure of the timing of the contract either but I agree that it doesn't make sense to keep him on for the draft and then cut him loose, or more likely have him retire, to let some other GM take over the team he has essentially set up. The thing is I think the only we we get a new GM is if Ted decides to retire. If he wants to stay on I say he gets extended again. I also think that if he does decide that he will retire after his contract is up after the 2018 draft he will essentially step aside before the draft and let the new guy take over.

My thoughts on how it will go down is that sometime between now and next February Thompson will inform Mark Murphy that he will retire. Murphy will decide on his replacement, probably Elliot Wolf, and prior to the draft Thompson will step aside and allow Wolf to take over. He may not actually retire until his contract expires but he will act as a consultant to Wolf who will make the decisions. I also think Wolf will agree to keep Mike McCarthy on as HC as long as MM wants to stay.

D

Deleted member 6794

So they miss it for several years straight. Some fans, maybe not you, would be willing to take that for a change to happen.

I guess it's not the way you're thinking about it but that would be absolutely crazy.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure of the timing of the contract either but I agree that it doesn't make sense to keep him on for the draft and then cut him loose, or more likely have him retire, to let some other GM take over the team he has essentially set up. The thing is I think the only we we get a new GM is if Ted decides to retire. If he wants to stay on I say he gets extended again. I also think that if he does decide that he will retire after his contract is up after the 2018 draft he will essentially step aside before the draft and let the new guy take over.

My thoughts on how it will go down is that sometime between now and next February Thompson will inform Mark Murphy that he will retire. Murphy will decide on his replacement, probably Elliot Wolf, and prior to the draft Thompson will step aside and allow Wolf to take over. He may not actually retire until his contract expires but he will act as a consultant to Wolf who will make the decisions. I also think Wolf will agree to keep Mike McCarthy on as HC as long as MM wants to stay.

That is a plausible scenario. Let MM and Aa Rod stay together like Belichick/Brady. Would like to see the young Wolf take over. Maybe having to live up to his father's legacy will provide a healthy dose of motivation.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So they miss it for several years straight. Some fans, maybe not you, would be willing to take that for a change to happen. The thing is Ted would step down long before that would happen.

I think Ted is gonna do whatever Ted wants, and F everybody else.
Who's gonna tell him otherwise- Murphy?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it doesn't make sense to keep him on for the draft and then cut him loose, or more likely have him retire, to let some other GM take over the team he has essentially set up.

And theirin lies the insanity. What decent, self respecting candidate will be willing to come in after someone else has built his team with FA and the draft. So he can take the heat for it?

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And theirin lies the insanity. What decent, self respecting candidate will be willing to come in after someone else has built his team with FA and the draft. So he can take the heat for it?
That is odd. And on the flip side, if the team is successful, there will be people who point to Ted and give him the credit.

Members online

Latest posts