Packer's fan...Do you really wanna win or look good losing?

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This isn't a SB team imo. D is awful and Rodgers is only getting older. Nothing has been done to improve the D etc...

I wouldn't be against missing the playoffs to wake Murphy up. Honestly I think that winning streak might of been the worse thing to happen.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe I misunderstand you here, but it seems you are making me into a Ted Thompson apologist/lemming which I'm not at all. Ted has been under performing since he got here, and we've let him live on 1 Superbowl ring while he's been chasing the rosters problems since he broke up the O-Line in '06. Let's also be honest, he pulled the trigger on Rodgers too quickly as evidenced by Favre being a better QB and having a better record the first two years that Rodgers was a starter when we were 6-10 and 10-6 respectively. In my eyes Ted has done just enough for Mark Murphy to NOT notice that he's terrible at his job, and for the fans to not care. We are TITLE TOWN USA, not "Make it to the playoffs and get embarassed ville". If Mark ever finds that sign in Green Bay, Ted's fired!

Respect. I think we are both tired of TT and his shtick.

"Make it to the playoffs and get embarassed ville"

That quote right there, sir, is the genesis of starting this thread. I want a Super Bowl win. If ugly...then so be it!!! I don't rep teams/squads that do not strive for sustained excellence.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I've about had it with these guys and all there "expectations" and going "all in" ********. I usually go to two games a year. One home game and one away. This year I won't be doing that.

This year I am just gonna go to family night to see in-laws and take my fiancee's daughters to see Lambeau field. I can almost take the fam to Hawaii for what it cost's for travel, tickets, accommodations etc to regular season games. Why should I go "all in" for a team with a front office that doesnt? Until Thompson is out of there I'm done paying big money to see this "smoke and mirror" show.

Aaron Rodgers is really the only thing that even makes the team enjoyable to watch.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't be against missing the playoffs to wake Murphy up. Honestly I think that winning streak might of been the worse thing to happen.
I think what that winning streak showed is just how far Rodgers can take this team when he is inspired to do so. But I don't think this team gets to the Super Bowl this year, no matter what TT does. IMO he's put us in a hole that will take two seasons AT LEAST to get out of. Too many holes.

I can't root for the Packers to lose or miss the playoffs though. Murphy isn't going to do anything anyway. He's clinging to Ted just as tightly as McCarthy is clinging to Capers.

D

Deleted member 6794

Let's also be honest, he pulled the trigger on Rodgers too quickly as evidenced by Favre being a better QB and having a better record the first two years that Rodgers was a starter when we were 6-10 and 10-6 respectively.

Every poster that has spent some time on this forum knows that I have been critical of Thompson in the past and will be moving forward once I believe it's justified. It's absolutely mind-boggling that there are still some Packers fans out there despising him for sticking with Rodgers in 2008 after the way it has worked out nine years later though.

BTW the Packers finished that season at 6-10 mostly because their defense struggled as the offense scored the fifth most points in the league.

There's no reason to root for the Packers to miss the playoffs.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is an important season.

1) Rodgers is entering the part of his career, where his weapons around him are just as important as his talents and ability to elevate the team.
2) McCarthy has been around for a decade, with brutal postseason losses, and questionable game-time decisions.
3) Many players are finishing or entering into contract years following the 2017 season.
4) Since 2011, it has been Super Bowl or bust...for the last six seasons...glory has been denied.
5) Over his career, TT places an ill-conceived emphasis on UDFAs and not actual FAs

If the Packers don't make it to Super Bowl 52, wholesale changes may need to come into play.

Packer's fan...Do you really wanna win or look good losing?

What say you?

My understanding is that Ted's contract expires at the end of the 2018 NFL draft. There's at least a fair chance that Eliot Wolf takes over at that point.

I don't know if Mike McCarthy plans to continue beyond that point or not. I am fairly confident that if the Packers fire him at some point, his phone will be ringing immediately. Few coaches currently in the NFL has had as much sustained success as he has had, warts and all. I don't know who Green Bay would then replace him with, but he'll be under a lot of pressure to win quickly.

It's easy to fire someone, harder to find the right replacement. Ask San Francisco.

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM had 2 of the best QB's in history, put him at Cleveland and see how good he is. Remember the 2nd half of the NFCC game 2014? He lost that game, as bad as he coached the first half he doubled down and did worse the second half.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM had 2 of the best QB's in history, put him at Cleveland and see how good he is. Remember the 2nd half of the NFCC game 2014? He lost that game, as bad as he coached the first half he doubled down and did worse the second half.
LMAO!

Did Mike McCarthy tell Bostic to completely ignore his responsibilities on the onside kick off?

Didn't Mike McCarthy tell ha ha to watch the most ridiculous rainbow pass for a two point conversion in the history of football fall into the arms of a Seattle receiver?

Did Mike McCarthy tell Aaron Rodgers to throw an interception to Richard Sherman in the end zone?

Did Mike McCarthy tell Some receiver ( I can't remember which one) to run a horrible route causing Rodgers to throw another interception?

Did Mike McCarthy tell the special teams to allow a touchdown on a fake field goal that everyone on the planet knew was coming?

Did Mike McCarthy tell Julius Peppers to tell Burnett to slide on an interception when he could have easily gained another 20 yards and possibly have scored?

Did Mike McCarthy tell the entire offense to be a bunch of girls and fail at scoring a touchdown from 1st and goal twice?

Did Mike McCarthy tell Clay Matthews to sit on the sideline for the most important moment of the game?

Did Mike McCarthy tell the defense to completely fall apart for the last 5 minutes of that game?

The answer is a resounding NO. Look McCarthy was not perfect in that game but if you think the onus for the loss that game falls on anyone but the players, you should just stop watching football because you know nothing about football.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bring in AP.....

I just like to throw that in randomly.....but Yea, bring in AP.

When you bring it up in every single one of your posts it is not random:D:D

Agreed.

Win. Nothing else matters.

Nothing else matters suggests how we look while winning is not important. That's not what he said. He said he said winning the 19 with all shutouts. To me that says he wants to win and look good doing it.

Unless you are of the opinion that we will never win a SB without a change at the top and as long as the Packers keep making the playoffs that change will not be made.

I for one couldn't do it but I do understand why some fans might fell that way.

LMAO!

Did Mike McCarthy tell Bostic to completely ignore his responsibilities on the onside kick off?

Didn't Mike McCarthy tell ha ha to watch the most ridiculous rainbow pass for a two point conversion in the history of football fall into the arms of a Seattle receiver?

Did Mike McCarthy tell Aaron Rodgers to throw an interception to Richard Sherman in the end zone?

Did Mike McCarthy tell Some receiver ( I can't remember which one) to run a horrible route causing Rodgers to throw another interception?

Did Mike McCarthy tell the special teams to allow a touchdown on a fake field goal that everyone on the planet knew was coming?

Did Mike McCarthy tell Julius Peppers to tell Burnett to slide on an interception when he could have easily gained another 20 yards and possibly have scored?

Did Mike McCarthy tell the entire offense to be a bunch of girls and fail at scoring a touchdown from 1st and goal twice?

Did Mike McCarthy tell Clay Matthews to sit on the sideline for the most important moment of the game?

Did Mike McCarthy tell the defense to completely fall apart for the last 5 minutes of that game?

The answer is a resounding NO. Look McCarthy was not perfect in that game but if you think the onus for the loss that game falls on anyone but the players, you should just stop watching football because you know nothing about football.

I know your post is about MM and I agree with all of it. The only thing I would add, in light of all your correct observations, is that anyone who blames any 1 player for the loss also needs to learn a few things about football. Any one, or even several, of those things you brought up would have been insignificant and irrelevant if any one of the other players had done what they were supposed to do. It was an awful team loss.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes, and Belichek had Brady, but that doesn't mean he's not a great coach. Ray Rhodes had Brett Favre and could only manage 8-8. Coaching matters just as quarterback play does.

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LMAO!

When the Titanic sank, who's fault was it? The Captain or the guy shoveling coal?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think McCarthy is really any better than average as a game day coach but I do believe he is a very, very good QB coach. Imo, Rodgers wouldn't be near the player he is without McCarthy.

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You might want to read up on ARod as a college player, MM didn't have much to do with him being a great player.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You might want to read up on ARod as a college player, MM didn't have much to do with him being a great player.
That is a silly argument. There are tons of QBs that are great in college. Very few of them are successful in the NFL.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You mean outside of breaking down his throwing mechanics and building them back up?

H

HardRightEdge

You mean outside of breaking down his throwing mechanics and building them back up?
That's not the way Rodgers tells it. Cal coached (still coaches?) QB's to hold the ball high and throw from the ear, why I could not say.

According to Rodgers, that was never his natural motion, and what we see today is how he was throwing all the way through JC. In fact, he said switching back was pretty easy.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's not the way Rodgers tells it. Cal coached (still coaches?) QB's to hold the ball high and throw from the ear, why I could not say.

According to Rodgers, that was never his natural motion, and what we see today is how he was throwing all the way through JC. In fact, he said switching back was pretty easy.

Well there were mechanics that needed work besides where he was holding the ball. They reworked his entire throwing motion

As for how "easy" it was for him I'm chalking that up to bravado considering every time he saw action up untill the Dallas game he kinda looked like crap. (Hyperbole yes but he didn't look good or even really all that average up till that point)

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look McCarthy was not perfect in that game but if you think the onus for the loss that game falls on anyone but the players, you should just stop watching football because you know nothing about football.
I think McCarthy is one of the better coaches in the league, at least from an offensive standpoint. I think he should get a lot of credit for helping to develop Rodgers into what he is today, as someone said he's very good with quarterbacks. He hasn't been perfect, and sometimes is a little too slow to react, but overall he has learned from his mistakes and been willing to change when it was called for. I think he is definitely an asset to the team.

That said, if so many of our players made that many boneheaded mistakes in the biggest game of the season like that, one has to wonder if they were adequately coached or prepared for that game. I'm not so sure that you can totally separate the coaching and the execution. Well coached teams tend to execute, and poorly coached teams tend to make mistakes.

D

Deleted member 6794

Unless you are of the opinion that we will never win a SB without a change at the top and as long as the Packers keep making the playoffs that change will not be made.

I for one couldn't do it but I do understand why some fans might fell that way.

While I agree that Murphy or Thompson won't make necessary changes with the team reaching the playoffs falling short of the ultimate goal shouldn't result in retaining the current status quo anymore though.

There's absolutely no doubt McCarthy deserves a ton of credit for developing Rodgers into an elite quarterback.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think he's slow to react, he's like everyone else in this building, they believe in their work. That's it. If it isn't working, it's because they aren't doing it correctly, and they believe in their way and in their work. So when something isn't working, they stick to it because they believe in all the hardwork they've done since OTA's thru TC and then in the week scouting and making a gameplan and implementing it for an opponent. They aren't prone to just tossing caution to the wind and saying **** it, let's try something else. Not in a game situation anyway, and that's fine. Why would you want him to change? just in those moments when hindsight says he should have? because that would make him perefct?

Just keep in mind that trying to just try things leads to guys like Carroll and company calling a pass from the 1 yard line on a power running team to lose the Super Bowl. and just like Greg Guard could have called a timeout in the last badger loss, he only thing that mattered was the outcome. If he would have called a TO and drew up some plan and FL ended up hitting a runner for 3 to win, he still would be getting second guessed for giving them time to draw up a plan on offense. At some point, the players just need to make it work.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every poster that has spent some time on this forum knows that I have been critical of Thompson in the past and will be moving forward once I believe it's justified. It's absolutely mind-boggling that there are still some Packers fans out there despising him for sticking with Rodgers in 2008 after the way it has worked out nine years later though.

BTW the Packers finished that season at 6-10 mostly because their defense struggled as the offense scored the fifth most points in the league.

Not " rooting" per say. I just think it would be a wakeup call to Murphy. This isn't a SB contender.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree that Murphy or Thompson won't make necessary changes with the team reaching the playoffs falling short of the ultimate goal shouldn't result in retaining the current status quo anymore though.

There are a lot of fans who think nothing will change as long as the Packers keep making the playoffs so they are willing to give up making the playoffs if it means change will happen.