Packers claim DE Chris Odom off waivers

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm not sure he's ever played standing up. Many players have difficulty transitioning from down to up (or vise versa), Perry being an example. Down vs. up have different technique sets that are not learned in a week.

I thought the same thing when I starting researching a bit about Odom. How many guys have the Packers brought in over the years that just can't successfully make the transition from playing from "down to up"? Not sure why we keep trying or aren't there any other options out there (thinks about TJ Watt). Had we given up something for Odom, the head scratching would be more intense on my part, but besides making room for him by trading Elliot, who was probably about done in GB anyway, I guess throw another DE at the wall and see if he sticks?

H

HardRightEdge

I thought the same thing when I starting researching a bit about Odom. How many guys have the Packers brought in over the years that just can't successfully make the transition from playing from "down to up"? Not sure why we keep trying or aren't there any other options out there (thinks about TJ Watt). Had we given up something for Odom, the head scratching would be more intense on my part, but besides making room for him by trading Elliot, who was probably about done in GB anyway, I guess throw another DE at the wall and see if he sticks?
Well, the Packers had success converting Peppers from down to up, LOL. Of course he was a freak of nature, a first ballot HOFer, and a deeply experienced player. Perry struggled with it for a couple of years (3.5 by my count, actually) , Neal and Jones never really got the hang of it.

As for Elliott, I'm not sure why his loss is all that concerning. His primary utility was as a special teams player without which he would have been gone long ago. He's like a lot of players fans get some attachment to: they see a few flashes here and there and get excited, but don't notice the play-in-play-out inconsistencies and mistakes.

Besides, Elliott has not been playing because of "back spasms". The Packers are notoriously vague regarding injuries and routinely understate severity. For all we know he'll get to Dallas, get a thorough examination, nerve damage is discovered, and the conditional pick is voided.

Take Barclay going to IR with an "ankle injury". Well, that could have meant a lot of things when it was announced. It could have been a minor sprain; it could be a severe high ankle sprain with a 10 week time horizon. You never know with these guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Besides, Elliott has not been playing because of "back spasms". The Packers are notoriously vague regarding injuries and routinely understate severity. For all we know he'll get to Dallas, get a thorough examination, nerve damage is discovered, and the conditional pick is voided.

That wouldn't surprise me one bit (he fails his physical in Dallas). If that happens, I highly doubt the Packers pick him back up, but he be unemployed for awhile and end up being an option later down the line if desperation mode kicks in.

H

HardRightEdge

That wouldn't surprise me one bit (he fails his physical in Dallas). If that happens, I highly doubt the Packers pick him back up, but he be unemployed for awhile and end up being an option later down the line if desperation mode kicks in.
On second thought, I probably shouldn't have said "understate severity" which sounds like they lie about what they know. I think it's more a case of always presenting the most optimistic recovery scenario. Sometimes that works out; often times it does not as would be the case when you are "most optimistic".

From this perspective, one needs to be concerned about Bulaga attaining the most optimistic recovery time line.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

On second thought, I probably shouldn't have said "understate severity" which sounds like they lie about what they know. I think it's more a case of always presenting the most optimistic recovery scenario. Sometimes that works out; often times it does not as would be the case when you are "most optimistic".

From this perspective, one needs to be concerned about Bulaga attaining the most optimistic recovery time line.

I believe another factor in Packers players being out longer than expected is the team's medical staff being extremely conservative.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Injuries and recovery time are always a hard thing to gauge. Sometimes the severity of them, nor how fast a particul player will recover from them isn't fully known. Look at Sam Shields last year. I just hope the Packer FO has a much better idea of all the information and intangibles and how it affects the entire team, than what they are giving out to the public. Sometimes we have to draw our own conclusions based on what TT does or doesn 't do, not what he says or doesn't say. I think keeping 10 OL at the cut, was a good indicator that something was up with Barclay. Hopefully, it isn't an indicator of something bad with Bulaga. I think if that was the case, we would be seeing an OL signed really quick. Although, even if Bulaga is good to go, I don't think that would be a bad move at this time anyway.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shouldn't there be a thread specifically for claims? It just seems silly to have two pages worth of comments on a thread dedicated to a guy who may no longer even be around in a week or two.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Shouldn't there be a thread specifically for claims? It just seems silly to have two pages worth of comments on a thread dedicated to a guy who may no longer even be around in a week or two.

pick your poison.....I think at this point there are multiple threads on the same topics.......at least Fire Capers hasn't found its way in here.....yet. :coffee:

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pick your poison.....I think at this point there are multiple threads on the same topics.......at least Fire Capers hasn't found its way in here.....yet. :coffee:
I agree. Way too many threads. Which leads to more threads, since the original thread discussing the same issue falls off the front page

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This seems like an important discussion. Should we start a thread for thoughts on how there are too many threads?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree. Way too many threads. Which leads to more threads, since the original thread discussing the same issue falls off the front page
Eventually threads like this turn into threads talking about threads deteriorating into things they shouldn't be and then.........oh wait a minute! :rolleyes:

Sky King

Reaction score
Not sure why we keep trying or aren't there any other options out there (thinks about TJ Watt).
As an aside, do you think there's any fans out there from other teams who say the same thing about acquiring Clay Matthews for their respective teams - L.A. Rams and Chargers fans, for example? Neither Matthews or Watt has lived up to their contracts the past couple of years. ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As an aside, do you think there's any fans out there from other teams who say the same thing about acquiring Clay Matthews for their respective teams - L.A. Rams and Chargers fans, for example? Neither Matthews or Watt has lived up to their contracts the past couple of years. ;)
I was referring to continually drafting or obtaining DE's who most of their life have played on the line, with their hand on the ground and expecting to convert them to an upright OLB.
Every team has its successes and its failures, my concern is that TT keeps trying to find EDGE guys who can stand up as an OLB and while I haven't complied a list of all the successes and failures the Packers have had achieving this, I would say from "muscle memory", it has been more failures.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree Capers should be fired. He should be also forced to return his pay for the last three seasons.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Injuries and recovery time are always a hard thing to gauge. Sometimes the severity of them, nor how fast a particul player will recover from them isn't fully known.

While that's definitely true it seems to take a lot of Packers players way longer to return to the field as the most pessimistic prognosis at the time of their injuries though.

Members online

Latest posts