Packers claim DE Chris Odom off waivers

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

Odom went undrafted this year after playing his college career at Arkansas State. He spent training camp with the Falcons.

In my opinion kind of an odd move as the team has to release a player to make room for him on the 53.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Here's some information from PFF shedding a positive light on Odom though:

• The Atlanta Falcons signed Arkansas State defensive end Chris Odom as an undrafted free agent following the 2017 NFL Draft.
  • Odom posted an outstanding 2016 season for the Red Wolves, grading ninth in the nation among edge defenders, just one spot behind Atlanta’s first-round pick, Takkarist McKinley.
  • Odom registered 63 total QB pressures in 2016 for a pass-rushing productivity mark of 13.6 (sixth in the nation among 4-3 defensive ends).
  • He also excelled as a run defender, ranking fourth out of 96 qualifying 4-3 defensive ends with a run-stop percentage of 8.4.
  • Odom saw his production skyrocket as an edge defender in 2016; the previous two years, he saw the majority of his snaps on the interior, earning grades of 45.9 and 52.8.

Reaction score
I'm also somewhat surprised that we missed him as a late draft pick if we value him enough to be on our 53. I'd love to know what facilitated trading a more experienced player like Elliott for a future conditional 7th rounder and then going after Chris Odom who is pretty raw overall

Last edited:

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rather saw Pipkins being cut then Elliott being traded to make room for Odom. Don't know anything about the guy, we'll see how it pans out

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like we're not standing pat... thats encouraging
I'll 2nd that, I will applaud TT for getting outside his personal comfort zone and making a couple moves (Ahmad Brooks, Chris Odom) in attempt to right the ship on defense instead of sticking with his guys as usual. Hope it pans out,personally from what I read up on Odom today I'm feeling pretty confident about it, can't wait to see how it plays on the field.

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Signing Dial along with getting Brooks & Odom would really solidify our defensive front seven. I would believe that the Packers knew what they had in Elliott and that he's most likely peaked and wouldn't get any better, where Odom may present more upside.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice moves TT color me surprised at the moves. Also I am shocked Odom dident make the 53 in Atlanta. Know what they say "One mans trash is another mans treasure".

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It seems they were looking for some power at the position after losing Jones/Peppers.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm also somewhat surprised that we missed him as a late draft pick if we value him enough to be on our 53. I'd love to know what facilitated trading a more experienced player like Elliott for a future conditional 7th rounder and then going after Chris Odom who is pretty raw overall

Maybe because Elliott has done little in 3 years and they like Odom better.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
We need the Depth!

I'm actually liking how this 53 and PS is stacking up for depth and experience. The true test will be performance. I do think we are dangerously thin on the OL and unless TT makes a move there to help shore it up, injuries and lack of talent might be what finally stops our offense or gets Rodgers frustrated/hurt. The RB position is deep, but very inexperienced, that is a slight concern. I know many of us are thinking the OLB group is a question mark, but it could become a real strength as long as guys stay healthy and play up to the level they are capable of. School is still out on the CB's, but they should be better than the crap show we saw last year. I'm looking for TT to make 2 more roster moves for depth.....Dial on the DL and a solid backup on the OL.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Hope it pans out,personally from what I read up on Odom today I'm feeling pretty confident about it, can't wait to see how it plays on the field.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Odom as starting OLB by next year... I'm pretty pumped about this signing.

There's a reason Odom went undrafted out of Arkansas State despite recording 12.5 sacks last season though. It will be extremely tough for him to have an impact this season while having to learn a completely new system.

I'm actually CaptainWIMM's dad. I came on here to try and loosen him up... help him become less robotic. I'm hoping it will help him talk to women.

Is there any other purpose of you currently being around the forum than to pick a fight with me??? While you probably feel pretty smart about yourself posting BS like this it might be better to actually try to make some useful contribution about the Packers from time to time.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There's a reason Odom went undrafted out of Arkansas State despite recording 12.5 sacks last season though. It will be extremely tough for him to have an impact this season while having to learn a completely new system.

Is there any other purpose of you currently being around the forum than to pick a fight with me??? While you probably feel pretty smart about yourself posting BS like this it might be better to actually try to make some useful contribution about the Packers from time to time.

I'm sorry Captain. I thought it would come across light hearted.

H

HardRightEdge

A reason he went undrafted, a reason the Falcons cut him, a reason at least 28 other teams did not file a waiver claim on him.

Anybody know if Odom has ever played LB? His college stat sheet at pro-football-reference.com lists him as a DE throughout. The Falcons play a 4-3 under base package which resembles a 3-4, so there might have been opportunity there. Otherwise, their nickel package is typically a 4 man front.

Note the highlights linked below. Odom is a down lineman over the LT in the first; down in the LT/LG gap in the second.

http://thefalconswire.usatoday.com/...ted-rookie-chris-odom-balling-out-vs-jaguars/

I'm not sure he's ever played standing up. Many players have difficulty transitioning from down to up (or vise versa), Perry being an example. Down vs. up have different technique sets that are not learned in a week.

If he makes the game day roster and is not just a developmental project, we may see him taking snaps down in nickel/dime. That's assuming the Packers keep him at all as the weeks unfold. His Pro Day ht/wt is listed as 6'4", 262 lbs. He has the length the Packers like in elephants, but not the bulk.

We'll see.

Members online

Latest posts