Packers can bounce back, Harlan says

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey...I wasn't talking about you. A couple of the others that jumped on net were notorious Sherman bashers. Just wanted these guys to keep it real. TT is not above criticism. It's all good!

Schmitty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Schmitty said:
I think that Sheman should defenatly been stripped of his GM duties after all the boneheaded moves he made. And seeing as he was replaced by TT makes TT his boss, and he wanted his own guy as HC. Its TT's string to pull and I think he did the right thing. If Sherman was such a good HC he would have scored a HC job somewhere elese, and he didnt. TT will pull this team together now that he has fixed most of Shemans mess.

That's fine....it's your opinion......I hope it happens.......it hasn't happened yet, so if others have a different opinion, don't drill them. Starting out 4-12 as a GM when the team won the division under a "bonehead GM" the previous year, for whatever reason, does not qualify you for blind faith from all the fans.
I didnt think I was drilling anyone, except maybe Sheman. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion. If we all just agreed on everything this would be a pretty boring forum.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack: Just for the record, I was a strong Sherman supporter for years, but I changed my stance after the playoff loss to the Vikings. It's not that I thought Sherman suddenly went from being a good coach to a bad coach. He was the same coach he always was. But sometimes there comes a point where a coach needs to take his team to the next level. Sherman had pretty good talent to work with in 2003 and 2004, for which he deserves some credit as GM, but the team just didn't take that next step. And when he fired Donatell, who was a decent DC, and replaced him with Slowik, who turned out to be awful, I felt it was time for the Packers to move on.

The Cowher comparison doesn't quite work for me because Cowher took his team deeper into the playoffs than Sherman ever did, and he did it consistently. He also did it in spite of a high rate of roster turnover, due to frugal ownership, and a frequently unsettled QB situation. Cowher has also shown quite a bit of creativity with his schemes on offense and defense, while Sherman was more set in his ways. I really don't think Mike Sherman is a bad coach. But I don't think he is an elite coach (neither does anybody in the NFL, as far as I know), while Cowher has always been highly regarded around the league.

Okay: Now you can go ahead and tell me that I'm "kicking a man when he's down." But I do give you credit for not dumping on Thompson too much until he gets more of a chance to prove himself.

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harlans good he will get us back to where we need to be lets not go crazy after 1 bad season in how many years

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack...go back a couple of years and do your homework. 66 and I (and you) butted heads mucho because I defended Sherman's successes...I was also critical of his mistakes....some would call that balanced analysis. It was only in the last year that I had seen enough to be pushed to the point I could no longer trust MS to do the right thing...and could no longer defend his actions..or inactions.

How many times did you and I have running commentary with the same position against heated MS bashers? Quite a few.....up until last year. The point is, as I had stated, there WAS and is a body of work to judge MS on, whichever position you take.... there is none to judge MM on.....and when put in the scale, TT has done fairly well in his first year with a solid draft filling many big holes and bringing in some nice prospects.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, I remember you turncoat SOB :moon: Just kidding.

Like I said, I'm willing to give TT and MM time and I think everybody should. I just didn't think he deserves all the accolades........YET!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is ready to call these two the NFL's next great GM/HC combo, but for me, I like what TT has done so far, and like what I see/hear from MM.

Having lived in Wisconsin most of my life, where the folks are fun and outgoing, and in Minnesota where they walk around with their ***** puckered so tight that they can't crack a smile, I would make the analogy that MS was a little Minnesota...and that self-created tension took the fun (which is necessary to winning, IMHO) away and permeated the locker room. I look forward to a fresh face with a fresh, demanding attitude that also remembers this is still a game. MM sems to have that balance, to me.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can't pat them on the back, OR stab them in the back yet! It's way to soon to judge either of them. After this coming season there will be a bit more 'evidence" to judge with. I HOPE both turn out to be the best in the league!