PackersNews top 100 Packers of all time

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Packers news dot com rankings:
Here is the PackersNews.com ranking of the Top 100 Packers, as judged by Pete Dougherty of the Green Bay Press-Gazette and Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, with input from former general manager Ron Wolf and team historian Cliff Christl.

It's behind a paywall so I'll give the top 10. I'm sure the entire list will eventually get posted elsewhere.

1. Brett Favre: Quarterback, 1992-2007.
2. Aaron Rodgers: Quarterback, 2006-present.
3. Don Hutson: End, 1935-45.
4. Clarke Hinkle: Back, 1932-41.
5. Verne Lewellen: Back, punter 1924-32.
6. Paul Hornung: Halfback, 1957-62, 1964-66.
7. Herb Adderley: Cornerback, 1961-69.
8. Willie Wood: Safety, 1960-71.
9. Reggie White: Defensive end, 1993-98.
10. Forrest Gregg: Tackle, 1956, 1958-70.

I'm surprised no Starr. He came in at #11. I still think Hornung was over rated and Taylor (at #12) deserves most of his accolades.

H

HardRightEdge

The Pro Football Hall of Fame has announced they will be inducting 20 guys in 2020, including 10 senior players, to clear what they describe as "a backlog". Verne Lewellen is the only eligible name in that list not in the Hall. Maybe the only name in the top 20.

Might his placement in the list be a promotion for the Hall?

Is he deserving? Beats me. All Pro 4 times, few stats, no film.

As an aside, if they put Terrell Davis in the Hall somebody should be promoting Sterling Sharpe's candidacy. Davis was shot after 4 seasons; the "didn't play long enough" argument goes out the window. Anyway, I would think Sharpe should be in the top 30 in this Packer list.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

The Pro Football Hall of Fame has announced they will be inducting 20 guys in 2020, including 10 senior players, to clear what they describe as "a backlog". Verne Lewellen is the only eligible name in that list not in the Hall. Maybe the only name in the top 20.

As an aside, if they put Terrell Davis in the Hall somebody should be promoting Sterling Sharpe's candidacy. Davis was shot after 4 seasons; the "didn't play long enough" argument goes out the window. Anyway, I would think Sharpe should be in the top 30 in this Packer list.

I have to admit to never have heard of Lewellen, therefore I definitely believe he's too high on the list. FYI Sharpe is ranked 25th on it.

H

HardRightEdge

I have to admit to never have heard of Lewellen, therefore I definitely believe he's too high on the list.
How much can we know about a guy who played 90 years ago before stats and film? Even the guys who could give first hand subjective assessments are all dead. I guess you'd need to read 90 year old back issues of the Press Gazette.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers news dot com rankings:

It's behind a paywall so I'll give the top 10. I'm sure the entire list will eventually get posted elsewhere.

1. Brett Favre: Quarterback, 1992-2007.
2. Aaron Rodgers: Quarterback, 2006-present.
3. Don Hutson: End, 1935-45.
4. Clarke Hinkle: Back, 1932-41.
5. Verne Lewellen: Back, punter 1924-32.
6. Paul Hornung: Halfback, 1957-62, 1964-66.
7. Herb Adderley: Cornerback, 1961-69.
8. Willie Wood: Safety, 1960-71.
9. Reggie White: Defensive end, 1993-98.
10. Forrest Gregg: Tackle, 1956, 1958-70.

I'm surprised no Starr. He came in at #11. I still think Hornung was over rated and Taylor (at #12) deserves most of his accolades.
thank god he didn't live to see this ridiculousness. shame on Packers Nation!

H

HardRightEdge

thank god he didn't live to see this ridiculousness. shame on Packers Nation!
Rankings like this are generally pretty silly. How do choose among Adderly, Wood, Davis and Nitschke for your top 10? You can't. On what basis is Hutson not the greatest Packer other than recent memory bias?

Reaction score
It’d be neat to see a poll of that by age.
1-19 ur olds
20-39 yr olds
40-59 yr olds
60-79 yr olds
80+ yr olds

I bet the polls would vary wildly generation to generation

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm glad Kramer made it before this because you just know that some people will try to lessen the accomplishment by some of these players saying they only made it because they increased the numbers.

Good point about Sharpe and Davis but I don't think it will happen.

Members online

Latest posts