Packers bringing in WR

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Ify Umodu. At 6-foot-2, 215-pounds, the California native looks the part, but his excellent size is just the icing on the cake. He's a surprisingly good route runner with above average speed, superb open field vision and naturally soft hands. The biggest obstacle he'll have to immediately face is dealing with press man coverage. Because of the low level of competition, his defenders were instructed to mostly play well off the line of scrimmage when matched up with him. He has the size and tools to win these all important man to man battles, but the question that remains is does he have the work ethic and determination to earn a roster spot."

http://www.catscratchreader.com/2015/3/13/8205537/carolina-panthers-pro-day-round-up

4.54-4.75 40 yd dash speed from Nfldraftscout.com.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Good to see that TT was out shopping for deals with the rest of Americans this weekend. If Umodu is signed I hope TT hangs on to his receipt in order to write the expense off on taxes under the category of "entertainment". I'm guessing it would be a move for the perceived future, more then the present, but it would also probably include Abby going on IR again.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

This is a complete nonstory. The Packers bring in players for tryouts all the time but rarely sign one of them.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We could really use Montgomery - Quarless, too. The offense went south when we lost those guys.
I think the offensive issues run a bit deeper then Quarless (2 catches for 14 yards this year) and Montgomery (15-136 yards). But the common theme here is there isn't something right with the offense. I am not hitching my hopes to the thought that getting a player here or there back is the answer, unless you told me Jordy was back. Then again, at this point, not even sure if Jordy would provide the missing link.

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the offensive issues run a bit deeper then Quarless (2 catches for 14 yards this year) and Montgomery (15-136 yards). But the common theme here is there isn't something right with the offense. I am not hitching my hopes to the thought that getting a player here or there back is the answer, unless you told me Jordy was back. Then again, at this point, not even sure if Jordy would provide the missing link.
Here's the thing though. That's two more targets that have to be respected. And the biggest problem has been drops. Adams, Cobb and Jones have all had the drops at various points, but Adams has been atrocious. Sloppy routes, lazy execution and stone hands puts him in the Boykin bin at this point. Yet Rodgers continues to throw to him. All the talk about "trust" makes no sense right now. "Favoritism" might be the more befitting term.

D

Deleted member 6794

Here's the thing though. That's two more targets that have to be respected. And the biggest problem has been drops. Adams, Cobb and Jones have all had the drops at various points, but Adams has been atrocious. Sloppy routes, lazy execution and stone hands puts him in the Boykin bin at this point. Yet Rodgers continues to throw to him. All the talk about "trust" makes no sense right now. "Favoritism" might be the more befitting term.

Quarless was targeted a total of two times during the three games he played this season. Coming back for a pretty severe knee injury I don't expect him to be a difference maker for the offense. Montgomery has shown some potential but with him having been sidelined for several weeks now I expect it will take him some time to get up to speed as well.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This might have more to do with Adams than anyone else. A lot of people are disappointed in Adams. However, there is nobody else pushing Adams for that spot. Remember, we use 3 WR's a lot and sometimes even 4. I think MM wants to push Adams far down that list.

D

Deleted member 6794

This might have more to do with Adams than anyone else. A lot of people are disappointed in Adams. However, there is nobody else pushing Adams for that spot. Remember, we use 3 WR's a lot and sometimes even 4. I think MM wants to push Adams far down that list.

Well, with Montgomery and Abbrederis injured and the coaching staff hesitant to play Janis there´s no one pushing Adams as of now. If he continues to struggle mightily he could end up without a job next offseason though.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams was a second round pick when there were more talented players on the board. A second round receiver should be a star with Rodgers throwing the ball, but they got another average athlete who incidentally has terrible hands. I don't want to hear how high he can jump, as the majority of the receivers in the league have that ability. He's not big, can't outrun anyone, and certainly can't catch. I find it hard to forgive Thompson for such a terrible pick.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's easy to get PO'd over Adams failure this year, but who saw it coming? Management as well as many fans had anointed him the MVP of the off season, especially with his YouTube basketball dunking video. Losing Jordy did not help Adams or the Packers, this forced him into playing #1 wide out before he was ready. Nor did injuries help Adams. So yeah, Adams has sucked to date, but you have to look at the big picture before you completely throw him under the bus. I'm still hopeful that the guy has the physical tools to be a standout WR and may just need to sit out a few games to clear his head and motivate him. But that isn't happening until we get Monty and or Abby back.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It's easy to get PO'd over Adams failure this year, but who saw it coming? Management as well as many fans had anointed him the MVP of the off season...
Not only that, someone very close to the situation has been very high on Adams and anointed him a future star in the league. That someone of course is Aaron Rodgers. That tells me there was something in Adams Thompson and staff justifiably saw worthy of a second rounder.

This PFT piece was posted in June. It starts by referencing Cobb saying he probably won’t be able to match his 2014 production because players like Adams will reduce his opportunities. Then it quotes Rodgers:
Adams’s ability has been a popular topic for people around the team this year and quarterback Aaron Rodgers added his voice to the crowd this week. Rodgers said that he hoped to see Adams do a better job in practice early last year and that he’s seen the growth he wanted to see from a player he believes is destined for big things. “I never called out Davante by name last year. I was hoping that he would pick it up with his practice habits. But Davante is a very polished player, and he has an excellent demeanor for a guy who’s going to be a star,” Rodgers said, via ESPN Wisconsin. “I mean, he carries himself like a star – which is a very high compliment. There’s only been a few guys around here who’ve had that charisma: Charles [Woodson], Julius [Peppers], Greg [Jennings] always had it as a young player. But there’s very few guys that really ‘get it.” And he has supreme confidence, and it’s contagious. And I’m really proud of his approach and his attitude. It makes you want to get him the ball more. It makes you watch the film and have regrets about not giving him more opportunities. And that’s again, another compliment for him.”
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/16/aaron-rodgers-davante-adams-is-going-to-be-a-star/

So Rodgers didn’t like Adams’ practice habits early in his rookie season but as of the middle of June of this year he was proud of his “approach and his attitude”. We’ve obviously seen a huge regression from Adams on the field. I kind of wonder how Rodgers would evaluate Adams’ practice habits now, but it really doesn’t matter – his approach and attitude when it counts is crap. The best thing I can write about Adams is he's young and can still it together.

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats good. Best news coming from this team all week.

Hope he can play Thursday. Before he took that big hit he was playing well.

Until he proves he can take a big hit and get up, he's fool's gold. And he will get plenty more big hits. I just don't think he has the required durability.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well, it's faster than Anquan Boldin and his 4.7+ speed. But he was just a bum

OP
OP
P

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speed is always great to have.
Great hands and route running are better.
Lately, we've had none of the above.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I tend to agree with a pretty successful NFL coach when it comes to "speed" and relying too much on 40 times (no pads, no defender, straight track, young fresh legs) Not saying the stat has no meaning, but some people put way too much emphasis on it.

Bill Walsh, architect of the 49's dynasty, was famous for differentiating between "track speed" and "functional speed". In his mind, this slowpoke prospect had probably the best functional speed in the history of the NFL.....that prospect was Jerry Rice.

Last edited:

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well, it's faster than Anquan Boldin and his 4.7+ speed. But he was just a bum

And for every good 4.7 receiver (Boldin not great, above average yes but he will never be hall of fame bound not to mention he play with Torry Smith 4.35 and Bryant Johnson who ran a 4.35 to stretch the field for him) ... I can name 20 better ones that are faster. The one exception is Jerry Rice. That was also a different time in the league. When running and play action were huge, defenses were slower, and DB could actually touch a wide receiver. The league has changed.

You name 1... How about these names since 2000

Calvin Johnson 4.35
Andre Johnson 4.41 (now he's older and slower much less effective)
Antonio Brown 4.47
Randy Moss 4.25
Julio Jones 4.39
ODB 4.43
TO 4.45
Marvin Harrison 4.38
Reggie Wayne 4.45

Find me a list of dominate Hall of Fame style wide receivers like this of 4.7+ receivers in the last 15 years.

Speed is not everything, you have to be able to catch the ball... 40 time isnt everything as Jordy's was only 4.51 but i have seen him go deep many times. BUT you need someone to stretch the field, unless you are Tom Brady. In which case, game planning, quick release and other attributes make up for that. But no one can argue he was better with Randy Moss in his prime.

Latest posts