Packers 2015 Opponents

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
QUOTE="Voltron, post: 601531, member: 10770"]Watch that title match again and tell me you dont see Some Cutler in Wilson? :) Something Tells me now that Wilson got that super Pay Day, he is going to become Seattles Cutler.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you that Wilson is not as good as many think, although I don't see any Cutler in him. He's too poised and resilient for that comparison.
A great article on Wilson- and why he's not all that- was written by Pete Prisco at www.cbssports.com last month. Check his archives for it, I think you'll enjoy it.

D

Deleted member 6794

Seattle is finished. I dont think they are great anymore, They did not beat us, we beat ourselves in that match. And for some reason, since that championship match everytime i look, wilson and cutler are starting to look alike.

Watch that title match again and tell me you dont see Some Cutler in Wilson? :) Something Tells me now that Wilson got that super Pay Day, he is going to become Seattles Cutler.

The Seahawks will be a Super Bowl contender next season once again. There were other posters around last offseason suggesting Seattle won't be any good in 2014 and we know how that turned out (I'm convined they would have beaten the Patriots without injuries to Sherman, Thomas and Lane).

Wilson (who doesn't qualify as of now) would rank 2nd in NFL history in TD/INT ratio and 3rd in interception percentage. It's ridiculous to compare him to Cutler because of one bad game in which he was able to pull out a win.

BTW so far Wilson hasn't signed a big deal.

D

Dan115

Watch that title match again and tell me you dont see Some Cutler in Wilson? :) Something Tells me now that Wilson got that super Pay Day, he is going to become Seattles Cutler.
Something talks to you???

Voltron

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before
The Seahawks will be a Super Bowl contender next season once again. There were other posters around last offseason suggesting Seattle won't be any good in 2014 and we know how that turned out (I'm convined they would have beaten the Patriots without injuries to Sherman, Thomas and Lane).

Wilson (who doesn't qualify as of now) would rank 2nd in NFL history in TD/INT ratio and 3rd in interception percentage. It's ridiculous to compare him to Cutler because of one bad game in which he was able to pull out a win.

BTW so far Wilson hasn't signed a big deal.

Before I left the USA for work in Canada, there was an announcement that Seattle was going to make Russell Wilson the highest paid player in the NFL. I don't know if its official yet.

http://fansided.com/2015/02/01/seahawks-prepared-make-russell-wilson-nfls-highest-paid-player/

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
While I think the Packers were the better team in the NFC Championship game (the better team doesn't always win) the posting here about how bad the Seahawks were from before the opening game to before the NFC title game was tiring and IMO embarrassing to the extent it affects the reputation of all Packers fans. IMO the Seahawks will be good enough to make the playoffs next season and as we all know, anything can happen in the playoffs.

Wilson doesn't remind me of Cutler at all. Wilson makes plays outside the pocket and on the run. He seems to embrace the role of leadership expected of QBs. He's careful with the ball. None of that can be said of Cutler. Regarding the Prisco article about Wilson vs. Brady the first thing worth noting is coming up short vs. a QB some/many consider one of the, if not the best QB in NFL history aint so bad. Hey, you’re no Shakespeare! He calls Brady great and Wilson just good. I’d put Wilson a bit higher than that but not on the same level as Brady and Rodgers. I thought this was the most salient point Prisco made:
The Seahawks win with a defense and a running game and Wilson's propensity to make big plays in big moments -- mostly outside the pocket or on one-read throws. Consider this: Playing with the lead the past two seasons, he has 20 touchdown passes and three interceptions. From behind, it's 17 touchdown passes and 13 interceptions. That's a telling stat about his defense.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...still-great-russell-wilson-is-still-just-good

Still, as Prisco notes the pass that won the NFC title was as perfect as a human can throw a football. I do hope the Seahawks make Wilson the highest paid QB – and the bigger the margin, the better.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last thing I read on a Wilson contract was about making the entire contract guaranteed, which has never been done before. Don't know how that makes a difference in cap number, but it's interesting.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last thing I read on a Wilson contract was about making the entire contract guaranteed, which has never been done before. Don't know how that makes a difference in cap number, but it's interesting.

The thinking behind it is that he will take less of a yearly salary if it's fully guaranteed. To just throw out a guess, they might be able to throw out a 5 year/$85M contract extension if they guarantee the entire thing.

It's not a bad idea on Seattle's part as they'd get a discount, in this example getting Wilson for $17M per season fully guaranteed whereas our extension for Rodgers is worth $22M (though he's well worth the extra anyway, to me).

There are 2 risks to this line of thinking, one is that he drops off a bit and loses some motivation after he lands a contract that's already fully guaranteed anyway. Seems unlikely for a guy like Wilson, but you never know. The other risk would be a career ending injury.

DOCTORAPK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm as devastated as anyone about the way the season ended, but we go 12-4 and make the conference championship and you go ahead and pencil in losses next year to a 5-11 team, a 9-7 team on the downslide, and a home loss to Seattle though we were 9-0 at home this year.

We have work to do but we don't have any "automatic" losses next year.
It's way too early ..... but one team that has surprised me lately is the Chargers. That could be a really good game. As for Denver...Rodgers vs what is left of Peyton, who is throwing more and more like Tebow.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Only team from that list that could give us problems is Seattle again.

The teams in the Division taken a step back Lions are without Suh,Chicago they still got Cutler and The Vikings still dont got a QB.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's way too early ..... but one team that has surprised me lately is the Chargers. That could be a really good game. As for Denver...Rodgers vs what is left of Peyton, who is throwing more and more like Tebow.

It's way too early to talk about matchups for the 2015 season but one thing I'm interested in is when we're going to play in Denver. I would prefer to play there later in the season as Peyton obviously has troubles throwing the ball in the cold.

Only team from that list that could give us problems is Seattle again.

The teams in the Division taken a step back Lions are without Suh,Chicago they still got Cutler and The Vikings still dont got a QB.

The Packers play seven games next season against teams with a winning record in 2014. In addition they play the 49ers on the road (Capers still has to figure out a way to defend Kaepernick) and the Rams at home (their DL looks really scary after adding Fairley).

I expect them to win the division again and compete for the #1 seed in the NFC but to think the Seahawks are the only team capable of giving us any problems is way too optimistic.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
It's way too early to talk about matchups for the 2015 season but one thing I'm interested in is when we're going to play in Denver. I would prefer to play there later in the season as Peyton obviously has troubles throwing the ball in the cold.

The Packers play seven games next season against teams with a winning record in 2014. In addition they play the 49ers on the road (Capers still has to figure out a way to defend Kaepernick) and the Rams at home (their DL looks really scary after adding Fairley).

I expect them to win the division again and compete for the #1 seed in the NFC but to think the Seahawks are the only team capable of giving us any problems is way too optimistic.

I really dont think the 49ers would give us problems. Playing teams that had a winning record the previous season doesnt mean much TBH.

D

Deleted member 6794

I really dont think the 49ers would give us problems. Playing teams that had a winning record the previous season doesnt mean much TBH.

Kaepernick has looked like an All-Pro in three games vs. the Packers so far in his career while looking mediocre against other teams. Capers will finally have to figure out a way to stop him.

The Packers will face some pretty good teams next season, expecting them to go 16-0 or 15-1 is unrealistic.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Kaepernick has looked like an All-Pro in three games vs. the Packers so far in his career while looking mediocre against other teams. Capers will finally have to figure out a way to stop him.

The Packers will face some pretty good teams next season, expecting them to go 16-0 or 15-1 is unrealistic.

Other than the Hawks what good team will the Packers be facing? The Broncos? Manning on his last legs.

D

Deleted member 6794

Other than the Hawks what good team will the Packers be facing? The Broncos? Manning on his last legs.

I think that nine out of the 14 teams the Packers will face in 2015 have a chance to finish with a winning record. I don't expect the team to win at least eight of these games.

H

HardRightEdge

I need to see what happens with the rest of free agency and the draft.

So far, the free agency work in the division is underwhelming. Peterson returning to Minnesota would trump all moves made to date, by far.

DOCTORAPK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I need to see what happens with the rest of free agency and the draft.

So far, the free agency work in the division is underwhelming. Peterson returning to Minnesota would trump all moves made to date, by far.
If AP DOESN'T come back, while there is nothing guaranteed in the NFL, with everybody else in the NFC NORTH, seemingly headed in the wrong direction.....things are looking up for GB.!

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Discussing the schedule and worrying about it before the season starts is overrated. We have no idea who will be good and not good. Its a year to year league now. Rams may win the NFC West for all we know. Injuries happen etc. You never know.

Its not who you play, but when you play them.

D

Deleted member 6794

If AP DOESN'T come back, while there is nothing guaranteed in the NFL, with everybody else in the NFC NORTH, seemingly headed in the wrong direction.....things are looking up for GB.!

No matter if Peterson plays for the Vikings next season or not they won't be even close to being able to challenge the Packers for the division title.

Megatron

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Vikings will be a improved team, if nothing else from the continuity of being in their 2nd year with a new regime. The same can be said for Detroit. The Lions lost Suh, and while he isn't quite as good, Ngata will go a long way in filling his shoes. One thing that doesn't get mentioned often, Suhs reputation made refs turn a blind eye, and OLs would hold him frequently diminishing his impact. That won't be the case with Ngata. I wouldn't call it a wash, but I don't think there will be much drop off at all from Suh to Ngata. Fairley wasn't much of a loss, he was always injured and routinely struggles with a lack of motivation, he is easily replaced. The best thing about the Lions off season, is that after 5 years they finally have their fiscal house in order, and aren't suffering under the weight of three top 2 draft choices from immediately before the new CBA. Once teams like Seattle pay Wilson, rookie wage scales and the cap will be, and pretty much have become, a level playing field again. Paying Suh like he is Aaron Rodgers after already paying a franchise QB of their own, plus Megatrons deal, well... that would of been a big mistake that would set the franchise back years. They may have a year of stagnation this year, but for 2016 they'll have 2 new drafts, and have a lot of money they can spend next off season for a key addition or two. Or, they may just continue drafting well and hold their money so they can keep their own, and sign a FA only once in awhile. The bears are terrible, I expect them to remain that way for quite some time- as the doormats of the division. If their hunt for a new QB doesn't go well, and/or their new GM doesn't have above-average ability, they may be down for a long time. I think the division will continue to be a fight between the Packers and Lions, and things could go differently if week 17 is at Ford Field instead of Lambeau.

Last edited:

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Vikings will be a improved team, if nothing else from the continuity of being in their 2nd year with a new regime. The same can be said for Detroit. The Lions lost Suh, and while he isn't quite as good, Ngata will go a long way in filling his shoes. One thing that doesn't get mentioned often, Suhs reputation made refs turn a blind eye, and OLs would hold him frequently diminishing his impact. That won't be the case with Ngata. I wouldn't call it a wash, but I don't think there will be much drop off at all from Suh to Ngata. Fairley wasn't much of a loss, he was always injured and routinely struggles with a lack of motivation, he is easily replaced. The best thing about the Lions off season, is that after 5 years they finally have their fiscal house in order, and aren't suffering under the weight of three top 2 draft choices from immediately before the new CBA. Once teams like Seattle pay Wilson, rookie wage scales and the cap will be, and pretty much have become, a level playing field again. Paying Suh like he is Aaron Rodgers after already paying a franchise QB of their own, plus Megatrons deal, well... that would of been a big mistake that would set the franchise back years. They may have a year of stagnation this year, but for 2016 they'll have 2 new drafts, and have a lot of money they can spend next off season for a key addition or two. Or, they may just continue drafting well and hold their money so they can keep their own, and sign a FA only once in awhile. The bears are terrible, I expect them to remain that way for quite some time- as the doormats of the division. If their hunt for a new QB doesn't go well, and/or their new GM doesn't have above-average ability, they may be down for a long time. I think the division will continue to be a fight between the Packers and Lions, and things could go differently if week 17 is at Ford Field instead of Lambeau.

I see the lions D line making the whole defense better, and while Ngata is good, he is past his prime and if that line is 50% of what it was last season it will be a surprise. I think the Vikings will challenge you guys for the #2 spot in the division. Will Stafford progress as a QB? Or is this as good as he gets?

D

Deleted member 6794

Being in the second season of a new regime doesn´t automatically result in a team improving. The Lions will take a step backward because of losing Suh and Fairley and the Vikings won´t increase their win total from last season. I expect the Packers to pretty easily win the division once again.

Members online

Latest posts