1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Packer fans: best travelers or widest fan base?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by GreenBlood, Dec 27, 2012.

1. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    You hear it on TV all the time. When the Packers go to San Diego or Tampa or Seattle... etc. the announcers always say something like, "There are about 25,000 Packer fans here today. Packer fans travel better than anyone else."

But my question is this: I've lived in a few different places. I've lived in Green Bay, Indianapolis and near Dallas for a short time. I know when I lived near Dallas and in Indy, there were Packer fans galore and they always talked about "can't wait until the Packers come to town."

So what do you think? Do 20,000+ Packer fans from Wisconsin really make long journeys to San Diego and Miami, or is it a much smaller contingent of travelers and mostly local Packer fans? I've heard it said that you can stand outside any Walmart in the country and within the hour, someone will walk in wearing Packers gear. I think what you're seeing at these games is proof that the Packers have a truly national fan base.

2. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,948
    Pitts fans are the same..

I think it is a mix of fans traveling and fans near those cities....

Tampa always has ton of fans and I have heard that there are more fans living there..

3. burt packerack

burt packerack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +99
    Same with the cowboys, unfortunately. They are everywhere...everywhere

4. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,014
    Lots of people who aren't from wi follow the packers. Great travelers but I would say its a testament to the size of the fan base. Oh the people who do call Wisco home, alot of them spend time in areas where the packers play in the NFC frequently like Arizona and Florida. It doesn't hurt that the packers have one of the highest winning %s over the past 2 decades.

5. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    Out in the wild I see more Packer stuff than Cowboy stuff on a day-to-day basis. I'd say I see more Steeler stuff too. But fan-wise, the Steelers are kind of the AFC answer to the Packers.

6. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    It kinda makes me wonder why the announcers ALWAYS talk about Packer fans traveling in huge numbers to these distant venues, but they never talk about the number of local fans we know are there. Is it something that simply doesn't occur to them, or is it what the NFL wants them to say to pass on the idea that each NFL city is uniquely loyal to the local team? LTF mentioned Tampa. I remember seeing those games and seeing a lot of Packer fans with dark tans well into November and December.

7. CheeseHusker

CheeseHusker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    Packers are a national brand. Wisconsin just happens to be one of many places I've lived, but the loyalty goes with me.

8. Mr. StyleZ

Mr. StyleZ Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +376
    It's more widespread transplants than actual traveling.

9. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Steelers and Cowboy fans are like cockroaches.

10. North44

North44 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +33
    There were lots and lots of Packers fans at the game in Houston when we went in October. I'm from Wisconsin but live in Texas now. I don't know how many of those fans live in Texas too, but probably a good portion of them.

11. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,395
    Never lived in Wisconsin but I am diehard Pack.

12. Raptorman

Raptorman Vikings fan since 1966.

Ratings:
    +827
    Mostly it's Packer fans that live in other states. I think it has to do with the run in the 60's, they brought many fans aboard back then. And then it becomes a family thing. Dads a Packer fan so the kids are Packer fans. And now the grand-kids are Packer fans. That I think is also why you see so many Dallas and Steelers fans around the country. The 60's and early 70's. Those three teams pretty much dominated the first 15 Super Bowl wins.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Not even transplants. Lots of people jumped on with a player who played for the Packers and just never left with him, or some that hold to a statement game and have followed ever since. NJ has a decent fanbase, you'll see 1 or 2 just about anywhere you go. Go to Washington Township and that number jumps (Raji)

14. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +964
    I am wearing packers gear of one sort or another every day. And nearly everyday I get one or two people saying to me go pack. At the San Diego game last year the Chargers had to go to a silent snap count. We had people at the tailgate from all over, Alaska, New Foundland, Mexico City and about half the states. San Diego is a very desirable travel location. But the Majority were from So Cal. The Packers are truly Americas team. I also think alot of people are drawn to the Pack because of the type of people that are Packer Fans.

15. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,678
    I was delighted at the Super Bowl here when for the many hours of tailgating and wondering around the Taj Mahol stadium that there were as many Packer fans as Steeler fans.
    Their fans were amazed we had them matched.

But inside the stadium for the game, they had us about 65-35%.
    That pissed me off.

16. RowdyPacker

RowdyPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Houston has a lot of Packer fans! It's a good mix of people from Wisconsin and then fans from Texas who love the Pack like myself.

17. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    Great insight.

18. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    I think another factor is Green Bay being the smallest city in professional sports. A lot of small town folks around the country can't stand city life and they identify with Green Bay in ways that they don't identify with other cities, and as such, many are drawn to the Packers. People like to see the little guy rough up the big bully. Anyone watch "A Christmas Story" this year? (No, I'm not saying the Packers are Ralphie ;)

19. Raptorman

Raptorman Vikings fan since 1966.

Ratings:
    +827
    Peter Billingsly. My double. Also my avatar. Looks just like me. Good looking guy.......so I've been told. My son looks a lot like him from the movie.

20. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Yes I am one of those 60's guys. But my son is a Broncos fan. :(

21. UCSB616

UCSB616 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +13
    I fly to at least 4 road games per year and have met a lot of people on the road that do the same. A lot of times I go for the day. Since you see a lot of the same people I'm going to assume our fan base truly travels very well.

22. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Where did you go wrong....

• Funny Funny x 1
  23. Dan115

Dan115 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +480
    Packers are a universal team--- Lambeau South East Asia--- Thailand!

24. okcpackerfan

okcpackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +175
    This is definitely not true of seattle nowadays

25. Crazy Packers Fan

Crazy Packers Fan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +115
    Steelers fans come in 2 mixes - bandwagoners (a lot jumping off this season) and people who have moved away from Pittsburgh because the city's jobs market is so poor (decline population for 50 years running). So I don't think they travel as well as everyone says.