1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Owens questions Cowboys' cutting Vanderjagt

Discussion in 'All Other Team Discussions' started by PackerLegend, Nov 30, 2006.

1. PackerLegend

PackerLegend Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Owens questions Cowboys' cutting Vanderjagt

NFL.com wire reports

IRVING, Texas (Nov. 29, 2006) -- Terrell Owens isn't just sorry to see his pal Mike Vanderjagt go. He thinks the Dallas Cowboys made a mistake by releasing the wayward kicker.

T.O has a friend?????????????

"I don't see what he did wrong to warrant him being cut," Owens said. "I hope it doesn't come back to haunt us. Whoever made that decision, I'm pretty sure they're hoping the same thing."

Vanderjagt was released Nov. 27, only 11 games into a three-year, $5.4 million contract.

He was 13-of-18 on field goals, a 72.2 percent success rate that was the lowest of his nine-year career. However, he's still the most accurate kicker in league history (86.5 percent) and only one of his misses was completely botched; three hit the right upright and another was blocked.

The final straw was missing two kicks against his former team, Indianapolis, then barely making a 22-yarder against Tampa Bay. Coach Bill Parcells had lost confidence in Vanderjagt heading into the last month with the Cowboys (7-4) holding first place in the NFC East. Martin Gramatica was signed to take his place, despite his own struggles the last few years.

In their brief time as teammates, T.O. and the "idiot kicker," as Peyton Manning once called Vanderjagt, really hit it off. Owens said he's spoken with Vanderjagt since he was cut.

"Going into the Colts game, the guy was 12-of-15. That's still a high kicking percentage," Owens said. "He didn't lose any games for us. If I had to put myself in the mix, I feel like I lost some games and I'm still here, so it's just unfortunate."

Owens dropped a sure touchdown pass that would've broken open a game at Washington. Instead, Vanderjagt had a chance to win it with a last-second field goal, but a missed assignment by a linemen led to the kick being blocked and the Redskins wound up kicking the winning field goal. It was the only game Dallas lost when Vanderjagt missed a kick.

2. PackFanInSC

PackFanInSC Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe T.O. is worried that Parcells was willing to bite the bullet and cut Vanderjadt -- even though they have to pay out the contract. A few more drops and maybe TO will be next.

3. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,994
    T.O is starting to open his mouth..Why question a coaches move, and this isnt any coach its the freaking TUNA!!!!!!

4. gbpackers0065

gbpackers0065 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    i personally am a huge T.O. fan...............and i gotta agree with him on this id take vanderjagt over gramatica anyday

5. Yared-Yam

Yared-Yam Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    How can you be a T.O. fan... I bet you have a batch of new-born kittens that you kick in the face repeatedly too, don't you?

6. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    that image.....just blew my mind. kicking kittens in the face.

reminds me of my childhood.

7. Yared-Yam

Yared-Yam Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Me too, kinda. Except replace "kittens" with "my face" and "you" with "my dad."

8. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    I wouldnt put it past him. Parcells doesnt mess around.

9. Cdnfavrefan

Cdnfavrefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    :rotflmao: Punching Kittens. Maybe I'd make a good TO fan

10. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    TO is the new Dallas GM

11. PackFanInSC

PackFanInSC Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Gramatica kicked a 46 yarder with one second left to beat the Giants. Who thinks Vanderjadt would have hit it based on his past few weeks?

TO needs to keep his mind on his own job and leave the GM job to Parcells.