Over-Commercialization (anyone else getting sick of it)

packers020802

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm getting sick of 5 hours of pre-game hype and what seems like MORE commercials than football during games.
This is getting ridiculous. They used to incld: Intros, anthems and the coin toss. Now they get every last ad in and get the game on the TV just as teams are kicking off.

I thought I would bring this up and see if anyone else is annoyed by this.

The Winter Classic got it right this year though. They had an awesome game intro, fireworks, player intros and anthems.

It would be great to see this in reg. season NFL games... kinda like they used to do before mass-marketing.

Here is a link that says it better than I can:

Killing The Casual Fan: The Over-Commercialization Of American Sports | Bleacher Report

In the meantime... thank u to whoever came up with DVR and GO PACK!

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Definitely, one thing you notice after being out of the country is how commercialized the U.S. is. You sort of get numb to the constant bombardment, but if your away from it for awhile it's a real eye opener. Also how obese we are compared to other places.

I can't stand to watch sports without a DVR generally. It's just such a waste of time to watch a game for 3 hours when if you cut out all the commercials it's 2hrs. You can use that other time for something else.

And if you config the DVR for 20-30s jumps you can skip through all the dead time between plays if you want to watch a game fast. That REALLY speeds it up.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Definitely, one thing you notice after being out of the country is how commercialized the U.S. is. You sort of get numb to the constant bombardment, but if your away from it for awhile it's a real eye opener. Also how obese we are compared to other places.

I can't stand to watch sports without a DVR generally. It's just such a waste of time to watch a game for 3 hours when if you cut out all the commercials it's 2hrs. You can use that other time for something else.

And if you config the DVR for 20-30s jumps you can skip through all the dead time between plays if you want to watch a game fast. That REALLY speeds it up.

Everything is getting to be overcommercialized. Ever try to watch a movie on tv anymore? It's impossible! They even have commercials before the movies in theaters, as if there's not enough product placement within the movies themselves.

It's so disgusting how everything is about advertising. Such is the way of our economy I guess.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
yeah its real dumb. now on youtube there are ads and people who get paid by youtube are now having companys pay them to push their products

JCpackers04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah this semester in college ive written several papers/assignments that had hard facts on the number of advertisements that Americans are exposed to. the number is really jaw-dropping. (if i wasnt tired and lazy right now id open some of my assignments and find the exact number lol)

but back to the topic on hand this is one of my main complaints about watching football and why i enjoy watching hockey so much more. there are a ridiculous amount of commercial breaks throughout the course of a football game. there literally can be 30 seconds of play and then a commercial break, only for another minute of play followed by another commercial break.

The OP mentioned watching the winter classic, but like all hockey games, there are really only 3 or 4 commercial breaks per period, which is awesome. The NHL actually added a rule that does not allow a commercial break after an icing call which reduces the number even more. its fantastic.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
yeah this semester in college ive written several papers/assignments that had hard facts on the number of advertisements that Americans are exposed to. the number is really jaw-dropping. (if i wasnt tired and lazy right now id open some of my assignments and find the exact number lol)

but back to the topic on hand this is one of my main complaints about watching football and why i enjoy watching hockey so much more. there are a ridiculous amount of commercial breaks throughout the course of a football game. there literally can be 30 seconds of play and then a commercial break, only for another minute of play followed by another commercial break.

The OP mentioned watching the winter classic, but like all hockey games, there are really only 3 or 4 commercial breaks per period, which is awesome. The NHL actually added a rule that does not allow a commercial break after an icing call which reduces the number even more. its fantastic.
I think what you have with the NHL is they are still trying to attract fans. Whatever you gotta do, I'm okay with the commercialization of the NFL, I think it's at its upper limit, but I'm still able to enjoy the game.
I truly believe a work stoppage to sort out who will get more of the pie will be really damaging to the NFL though. I hope both sides recognize this.
Commercials on all shows are out of hand, if you record and fast forward through commercials it's amazing how much content each show has, but for me, at least personally, it's okay, I don't mind the game taking 3 hours.
Most regular shows I DVR before I watch them so I can FF through the commercials.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
i cant watch a game unless its live so i usually sit on my laptop while watching so i can ignore commercials

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
It's dumb, but it isn't going away. It's free money for the networks and the league.

You'll notice college football games have less in-game commercials (they don't do the NFL's patented "TD/PAT - Commercial - Kickoff - Commercial"), but a longer halftime that's seemingly all commercials. I'd like to go to that system.

Edgecheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing that frustrates me is when it is 3rd down....you are on the edge of your seat.....then, the QB calls timeout and you know the dreaded commercial break is coming.

But in a way...I kind of like the commercials. There have been many Sundays I have used those breaks to catch my breath and tell myself it's going to be ok.

Members online

Latest posts