Our chronic problems with injuries...

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and I'm going to watch every one of them like always. Maybe we can win a few even.

If we had a defense we could lean on I'd be a little more optimistic...but that's not the case. If you can't run the ball or play defense Hundley doesn't stand a chance.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well, we weren't built on defense. We're built on offense. it's ok, every team has an identity. Without Harrison, Griffen, Rhodes or any combination of a couple defenders MN doesn't have an offense to lean on. It's the nature of the beast. put an injury on Julio and the Falcons can't beat the Bills or the Dolphins?? The Broncos have the leagues best and they just got beat by the Giants??? without their best WR? it's a strange league. The Packers aren't unique in being built better on one side of the ball. stuff happens.

I'm more concerned about putting an offensive line in front of our QB than our defense right now.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
From a medical stand point the types of injuries really come into play here. The muscle strains can be blamed on the training staff and strength and conditioning staff, the packers have an alarmingly high number of groin, hamstring and quadriceps strains. This is a direct result of a lack of an effective warm-up and strength and conditioning program.

As far as ligament sprains go, this can be a little of both. It's a collision sport with high risk. When two people tackle each other at a high velocity there is a risk the player coming in with less force will sustain a ligementous injury. However, there are strengthening programs these players should be on. The medical staff should be performing individual player evaluations to determine abnormal gait and foot patterns, then develop a specific program for that athlete to work to fix it. For example if someone is an overpronator (the foot turns inward during mid step of gait-very common), you are at risk to sustaining lateral ankle sprains, high ankle sprains and ACL/MCL sprains. To fix that, we would strengthen your peroneal muscles and work on agility training after.

As far as fractures go, it's due to the sport. Anytime you fall on an outstretched arm you are at a high risk of sustaining a fractured collar bone, wrist or arm. When 230 pound Danny Trevethan at 80% speed (estimation) hits 225 pound Aaron Rodgers at 25% speed (estimation) Rodgers is placing upwards of 2,000 pounds of force onto his arm.
Informative lesson. You think the Packers medical staff and trainers should be let in on this little secret of your'n?

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Informative lesson. You think the Packers medical staff and trainers should be let in on this little secret of your'n?
It's no secret, it's just about your medical model. Unfortunately, the field of sports medicine has trended in the direction of being 100% reactive. Responding to injuries after they occur (pure treatment based) opposed to a more preventive approach.

Personally for me as an athletic trainer myself I have taken a completely preventative approach and essentially "reprogrammed" my hard drive from everything I learned. I work with companies (manufacturing facilities, utility companies, warehouses) and focus 66% of my time solely on injury prevention and only treat 33% of the time. By doing so, I am able to cut workplace injuries in half every time. This same model can be applied to sports medicine by focusing more on movement patterns, gait, strength/conditioning, field management on an individual specific basis and position basis.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
It's no secret, it's just about your medical model. Unfortunately, the field of sports medicine has trended in the direction of being 100% reactive. Responding to injuries after they occur (pure treatment based) opposed to a more preventive approach.

Personally for me as an athletic trainer myself I have taken a completely preventative approach and essentially "reprogrammed" my hard drive from everything I learned. I work with companies (manufacturing facilities, utility companies, warehouses) and focus 66% of my time solely on injury prevention and only treat 33% of the time. By doing so, I am able to cut workplace injuries in half every time. This same model can be applied to sports medicine by focusing more on movement patterns, gait, strength/conditioning, field management on an individual specific basis and position basis.
So you and your ilk are the ones I get to thank for all the stretching posters hung up around my worksite. Thankfully we aren't forced into them like some of the outside contractors are. On the clock of course.

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only game we will really be favored in our remaining schedule is the Browns game. Let that sink in for a second.

Well, to start last season we were favored in every game and then started out 4-6.

Anything can happen.

Justin Luitjens

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You may think you have the injury bug but every team does. Out of the last 3 seasons how many game have the vikings hand their #1 QB, #2 QB, #1 RB, and #2 RB out due to injury.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't remember all my laws of physics, but one would have to think that as players have gotten, bigger, stronger and faster the collisions are producing a lot more "energy". This isn't the 60's and 70's when you have big out of shape slow fat guys blocking and tackling. Most of these guys are packing a lot of muscle and speed. Also, you have to wonder about the stress athletes are putting on their own bodies through all of the conditioning and lifting they do to build muscle and speed. By building these lean muscular bodies, the amount of impact they can withstand might be less as well as the long term durability of their muscles, tendons, joints, etc.

I'm also guessing concussions are up, not only because they are closely monitoring them, but because of that whole, "bigger, stronger, faster" thing producing more energy in collisions.

Just throwing something at the wall to see if any of it sticks. :coffee:

Last edited:

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with that mostly, but guys have been over pronating forever. But now they do it daily, year round at high levels from the time they are 8. at some point something is going to give. Hammering a bent nail will eventually break it.
I personally believe you have this all wrong, I think the injuries are because they don’t train themselves hard enough. I mean it is right in the current CBA. It is built entirely so the players can take it easy instead of working hard.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I personally believe you have this all wrong, I think the injuries are because they don’t train themselves hard enough. I mean it is right in the current CBA. It is built entirely so the players can take it easy instead of working hard.
I don't think that the CBA agreement prevents players from working on their own, with private trainers, even players from other teams. This isn't the football of old where the season ends, everyone goes their own way and meet back up in the spring to "get in shape". There is less contact and team practices due to the CBA, but not less working out.

D

Deleted member 6794

well, we weren't built on defense. We're built on offense.

The Packers have definitely tried to build an improved defense over the past few years though spending the team's first pick in each of the past six years as well as 13 of 18 selections during the first three rounds over that period on that side of the ball. They just haven't been successful doing it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so they're bigger, faster, stronger, by being more lazy? CBA's took out contact, and I don't believe that's done anything other than take injuries out of training camp and put them on the playing field. There is something to be said for practicing like you play, but with how much these guys train year round, I don't think going back to the days of old 2 a day training camps and nutcrackers and OK drills is going to help the current situation. Tackling would improve :) but we'd probably see a lot more guys go down in camp.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But, just for the sake of argument, wouldn't (a) there be more time to prepare a replacement instead of the injury happening during the regular season and (b) wouldn't there be less guys doing down after camp?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Packers have definitely tried to build an improved defense over the past few years though spending the team's first pick in each of the past six years as well as 13 of 18 selections during the first three rounds over that period on that side of the ball. They just haven't been successful doing it.

That is THE most frustrating part of the whole "defensive regression" for me. The last 6 drafts have been very disproportionate as to how much of the Packers draft stock has been spent on the defense and yet here we are. Meanwhile, the offense is seeing an aging Nelson, the possibility of losing Adams, a 5th round running back who may or may not be all that good and don't get me started on the depth of the OL.

Put it on Capers and/or Thompson, but the Packers have not fared well in improving their defense over the last 6 drafts and in the process have somewhat let the offense go.

D

Deleted member 6794

But, just for the sake of argument, wouldn't (a) there be more time to prepare a replacement instead of the injury happening during the regular season and (b) wouldn't there be less guys doing down after camp?

The total number of players being lost to injury wouldn't change though.

Meanwhile, the offense is seeing an aging Nelson, the possibility of losing Adams, a 5th round running back who may or may not be all that good and don't get me started on the depth of the OL.

I don't believe there's any chance the Packers don't re-sign Adams.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts