Our chronic problems with injuries...

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm curious as to what people think on 2 different things:

1) It certainly seems we have a chronic injury problem that has been going on for years now relative to the rest of the league. Is this actual reality, or is it simply that injuries are up across the board in the NFL these days because of the way the game is played and so it just naturally seems to us like our team is most affected? I know there are statistics kept on the affects of injuries, although sometimes measured in different ways.

2) If it is indeed true, why? What are we doing wrong, if anything? Is it attributable to our training staff? Medical staff? The way we practice? Stretches? Maybe some of this sounds a little out there, but I am just trying to rationalize what has happened these recent years. It seems like too much of an epidemic to continue to just chalk up to bad luck.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PEDs, year round training that starts in middle school now and these young athletes are now finding their way into the pros and their body's are worn out. Playing surfaces that are less forgiving and again, year round training. The other stuff plays a role too, but to me, those are the biggest ones.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PEDs, year round training that starts in middle school now and these young athletes are now finding their way into the pros and their body's are worn out. Playing surfaces that are less forgiving and again, year round training. The other stuff plays a role too, but to me, those are the biggest ones.

Can't argue with any of those, but none of them seem like anything that should be Packer-specific.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have an inept, overweight coach who has had TWO Hall of Fame quarterbacks in their "good years" and has only had 1 SB to show for it

Even though he was terrible on the 49ers before so....

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have an inept, overweight coach who has had TWO Hall of Fame quarterbacks in their "good years" and has only had 1 SB to show for it

Even though he was terrible on the 49ers before so....

What do any of these assertions have to do with the questions at hand in this thread?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have any good ideas that would be Packer specific, I don't know what they do different and I don't really follow all teams. But i see it even at the high school level already in the past 10 years, it's changed and not for the better. Health wise anyway

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kids are getting lazier and fatter... but bigger too

There's not as many kids out playing basketball, tag, freeze tag, super soaker, kickball, etc... basically "active" things

And why would they?

Video games and social media are at an all time high lol

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Kids are getting lazier and fatter... but bigger too

There's not as many kids out playing basketball, tag, freeze tag, super soaker, kickball, etc... basically "active" things

And why would they?

Video games and social media are at an all time high lol
These aren't the kids making it to the NFL though. The ones that do start tackle football in 2nd grade and most play it exclusively with "off season" camps and football specific weight and speed training. Those that aren't specific do the three sport year round training. Their bodies do not get a down time. The competition for openings at the next level does not allow it. Most youth sports teams are geared around getting the devoted kids as much playing time as possible to the detriment of the kid that wants to play for fun. My daughter loved playing soccer and was decent at it. When she hit high school and wasn't devoted to it year round, the rest of the team basically pressured her into dropping out. That was the only sport she did so she is now inactive except for swimming and skating occasionally with her friends.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a whole other topic, youth sports , I love sports, I loath what youth sports have become. And in the long run, it will be a detriment to society and sports in general. At least in the form we know it.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a whole other topic, youth sports , I love sports, I loath what youth sports have become. And in the long run, it will be a detriment to society and sports in general. At least in the form we know it.

Just imagine being the father of the fastest 9 yr old in the state of Texas..on top of that him being a standout on the football field and having track coaches and youth football organizations contacting you all day on a daily basis. That's where youth sports is now. They are offering scholarships to middle schoolers!!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If my kids get my speed, I have nothing to worry about LOL.

But it's out of control

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The other thing is the avenue at which sports provides...what you see on TV with star/famous athletes, what they stand for and embody

NFL wise: Brett Favre, John Elway, Aikman, Smith, Jerry Rice, Kurt Warner, etc were all good guys (for the most part) who seemed to enjoy the game and stood for something
MLB wise: Jeter, Johnny Damon, Paul O neil, Randy Johnson, Schilling, Clemens, etc pretty much the same

The NBA has definitely changed and I feel that people don't even care, UNLESS it's playoff basketball or college March Madness...
I don't think anyone wants to see the Warriors, whatever team Lebron is on, Rockets, Spurs, Celtics...and that's about it play LOL

I feel like kids/people today just play for the money rather than the game/love and are now taught to be machine like and can lead to injury
That's partially why many players don't last that long nowadays
Maybe they just don't really care?

https://deadspin.com/nfl-careers-are-shorter-than-ever-1762126083

Don't give me that BS about PEDs or not, when you play sports you have enough adrenaline that taking PEDs won't help "prevent you" from getting hurt or not
Bad luck happens... no ****... That's what happened to AR the other day

But with the advancements in medicine today I don't believe it has anything to do with not being able to heal guys
I feel like pro atheletes just don't care that much and either they aren't as "tough" as players back in the day, unless of course they BREAK a bone(which they should sit out obviously)
OR
they just see it as a job and play like robots which makes them more susceptible to injury

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally will NOT allow my kids to play sports unless it's

Hockey, Lacrosse, Golf, Rowing, Swimming, Track
or
Soccer, Volleyball, Swimming, Track for daughter

Last edited:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The season ending fracture to Rodgers was unfortunately just a matter of time given their porous offensive line. He had already taken 20 sacks. It was just a matter of time. Now that another season has been ruined by injuries perhaps the Packer organization will take more steps to minimize them.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every team has injuries. We all think it is just us because we follow the Pack. I also follow the Chargers to a degree and the 49'ers because of my wife and the Seahawks because of R.W. All those teams have fans lamenting their injuries every year. Every one of them. It is the lack of practice time with hitting drills and tackling drills in my opinion, but every one of these teams mentioned has complaints about injuries. It is not Packer specific.

Forderick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every team has injuries. We all think it is just us because we follow the Pack. I also follow the Chargers to a degree and the 49'ers because of my wife and the Seahawks because of R.W. All those teams have fans lamenting their injuries every year. Every one of them. It is the lack of practice time with hitting drills and tackling drills in my opinion, but every one of these teams mentioned has complaints about injuries. It is not Packer specific.

Practice time has been reduced in college as well. Line men are coming out a lot more raw than they ever did in the past. They simply don't practice enough anymore, so more and more people are getting injured during games, because their bodies simply aren't accustomed to it as much as they should be. just my opinion.

D

Deleted member 6794

It certainly seems we have a chronic injury problem that has been going on for years now relative to the rest of the league. Is this actual reality, or is it simply that injuries are up across the board in the NFL these days because of the way the game is played and so it just naturally seems to us like our team is most affected? I know there are statistics kept on the affects of injuries, although sometimes measured in different ways.

Overall the Packers have been actually pretty healthy over the past three seasons compared to other teams around the league.

The season ending fracture to Rodgers was unfortunately just a matter of time given their porous offensive line. He had already taken 20 sacks. It was just a matter of time.

Rodgers' injury actually happened with all of the five starting offensive lineman on the field.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
From a medical stand point the types of injuries really come into play here. The muscle strains can be blamed on the training staff and strength and conditioning staff, the packers have an alarmingly high number of groin, hamstring and quadriceps strains. This is a direct result of a lack of an effective warm-up and strength and conditioning program.

As far as ligament sprains go, this can be a little of both. It's a collision sport with high risk. When two people tackle each other at a high velocity there is a risk the player coming in with less force will sustain a ligementous injury. However, there are strengthening programs these players should be on. The medical staff should be performing individual player evaluations to determine abnormal gait and foot patterns, then develop a specific program for that athlete to work to fix it. For example if someone is an overpronator (the foot turns inward during mid step of gait-very common), you are at risk to sustaining lateral ankle sprains, high ankle sprains and ACL/MCL sprains. To fix that, we would strengthen your peroneal muscles and work on agility training after.

As far as fractures go, it's due to the sport. Anytime you fall on an outstretched arm you are at a high risk of sustaining a fractured collar bone, wrist or arm. When 230 pound Danny Trevethan at 80% speed (estimation) hits 225 pound Aaron Rodgers at 25% speed (estimation) Rodgers is placing upwards of 2,000 pounds of force onto his arm.

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From a medical stand point the types of injuries really come into play here. The muscle strains can be blamed on the training staff and strength and conditioning staff, the packers have an alarmingly high number of groin, hamstring and quadriceps strains. This is a direct result of a lack of an effective warm-up and strength and conditioning program.

As far as ligament sprains go, this can be a little of both. It's a collision sport with high risk. When two people tackle each other at a high velocity there is a risk the player coming in with less force will sustain a ligementous injury. However, there are strengthening programs these players should be on. The medical staff should be performing individual player evaluations to determine abnormal gait and foot patterns, then develop a specific program for that athlete to work to fix it. For example if someone is an overpronator (the foot turns inward during mid step of gait-very common), you are at risk to sustaining lateral ankle sprains, high ankle sprains and ACL/MCL sprains. To fix that, we would strengthen your peroneal muscles and work on agility training after.

As far as fractures go, it's due to the sport. Anytime you fall on an outstretched arm you are at a high risk of sustaining a fractured collar bone, wrist or arm. When 230 pound Danny Trevethan at 80% speed (estimation) hits 225 pound Aaron Rodgers at 25% speed (estimation) Rodgers is placing upwards of 2,000 pounds of force onto his arm.

Agreed. Not much, if anything, can be done to avoid a clavicle fracture.

When that much force falls on it, it's just too much load.

When the injury happened, I was hoping for an AC joint sprain and not a clavicle fracture.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with that mostly, but guys have been over pronating forever. But now they do it daily, year round at high levels from the time they are 8. at some point something is going to give. Hammering a bent nail will eventually break it.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only game we will really be favored in our remaining schedule is the Browns game. Let that sink in for a second.

Attachments

• IMG_2607.JPG
    IMG_2607.JPG
    241.7 KB · Views: 101

Members online

Latest posts