OT...the 49r huddle

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought it was hilarious the way the QB would bark a fake signal and then the whole line would stand up and look at the sideline for directions. It did not help them much. Kind of reminded me of how Rodgers runs to the line only to wait for 15 or 20 seconds.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I recall seeing that quite often in college games.

The Hoosiers seemed to do it all day against the Buckeyes today. Didn't seem to help and a few times the offense ran out of time to get the ball snapped.

I get AR taking as much time as he can to read the defense and make his audibles, but keep an eye on that damn play clock!

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that when the QB comes to the line of scrimmage and everyone is ready; if he sees a blitz it is well to point that out, but otherwise hike the ball and run the play b4 the D has too mush time to see your alignment and adjust. Otherwise you will never catch them napping.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think that when the QB comes to the line of scrimmage and everyone is ready; if he sees a blitz it is well to point that out, but otherwise hike the ball and run the play b4 the D has too mush time to see your alignment and adjust. Otherwise you will never catch them napping.

While I will agree with some of that, what if he sees a defensive alignment that he feels he can exploit with an audible? AR and other QB's spend countless hours watching film of other teams defenses, if he and the coaches have determined certain alignments or defensive personnel favor running a specific play, AR should have the ability to switch to that play.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed with the caveat do it fast or not at all. And after you do it...run the play.

D

Deleted member 6794

While I will agree with some of that, what if he sees a defensive alignment that he feels he can exploit with an audible? AR and other QB's spend countless hours watching film of other teams defenses, if he and the coaches have determined certain alignments or defensive personnel favor running a specific play, AR should have the ability to switch to that play.

Unfortunately it seems that lately defenses have taken advantage of Rodgers audibling to a different play more often than the offense succeeding though. Therefore I would prefer the Packers to mostly run plays called in the huddle.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I understand the sentiment of "don't take too long at the LOS" when it comes to risking a delay of game or having to use a timeout, but I think taking your time up there really doesn't give the defense all that much more information. Especially when you factor in the way AR moves guys around as he is reading the defense. Guessing AR loves hearing the defense shouting at each other in confusion as to what they think is coming next.

But I also understand if you are saying, once AR has made the call and the players are set....snap the ball! LOL

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Unfortunately it seems that lately defenses have taken advantage of Rodgers audibling to a different play more often than the offense succeeding though. Therefore I would prefer the Packers to mostly run plays called in the huddle.

You could be correct on that, but I would also say that execution by the offense has been an issue as well. Common sense would lead me to believe that an offense has a much bigger advantage to surprise a defense when it has the ability to walk up to the LOS and run various plays from their initial formation VS walking up in one formation that the defense has seen in game film and recognizes the play typically run out of that formation. All about mixing things up to keep the defense guessing. But if you out think yourselves and can't execute the quick changes, you are right, the Packers need to go back to basics to some extent.

I remember the days when the Packers started the game with a certain # of predetermined scripted plays to run on offense, I don't even remember if it worked well.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The longer you are sitting on the ball at the line of scrimmage; the longer the defense has to talk to one another. So yes, hike the ball when you have your play.

D

Deleted member 6794

Common sense would lead me to believe that an offense has a much bigger advantage to surprise a defense when it has the ability to walk up to the LOS and run various plays from their initial formation VS walking up in one formation that the defense has seen in game film and recognizes the play typically run out of that formation. All about mixing things up to keep the defense guessing.

It seems to me that defenses currently are able to recognize plays Rodgers is audibling to as well. It might make more sense to have the offense snap the ball fast once set at the LOS.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We spend too much time at the LOS. Was glad to see us passing right from the get go. We really looked sharp in the first quarter.

Members online

Latest posts