Opponents and Opening drive Touchdowns

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This crap has got to stop smh. You cannot afford to put Hundley and the offense out there to start the game in a 7-0 hole. It’s bad enough they do it to Rodgers smh. I just dont understand why they rely on playing zone so much when Capers scheme has never been able to stop Tightends which was in full display again Sunday.

I’d rather give up completions on the outside rather than leaving the middle of the field open for easy completions.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are we still deferring if we win the coin toss?
Maybe it's that to.

I dunno what this trend is in strategy to defer instead of wanting the ball from winning the coin toss.
Seems like it's 6 of one to me.
It wasn't that long ago when deferring was rare.
Now it's the other way around.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this undoubtedly should do it for capers...and if not then go higher with the vacancies....Capers scheme doesn't work most of the time. Played, stale and now obsolete.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They defer which isn’t a good ideal at all if your defense is as bad as theirs. The numbers show that Deferring hasn’t worked in their favor at all.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Would we be complaining this much about the defense if Rodgers was playing....

Vikings: Allowed 23 points against an offense that averages 24 points a game and is ranked #5-#11 offense in the league
Saints: Allowed 26 points against an offense that averages 29.4 points per game and is ranked the #2-#3 offense in the league
Lions: Allowed 30 points against a team that averages 26.2 points per game and is ranked #5-#15 offense in the league
Bears: Gave up 16 points against a team that averages 16 points per game and ranked #30-#32 worst offense in the league
Ravens: Gave up 23 points against a team that averages 23.3 points per game and ranked #13-#30 offense in the league
Steelers: Gave up 31 points against a team that averages 24 points per game and is ranked #3-#11 best offense in the league
Tampa: Gave up 20 points against a team that averages 20.2 points per game and is ranked #13-#22 offense in the league

Now all things considered let’s factor in that Brett Hundley has been responsible for 9 turnovers (at least half of which has given the opposing offense great field positioning).

The defense is really not as bad as they are getting heat for. They are in the middle of the pack across the board. They are 7th in the league in takeaways. But the Packers have a turnover differential of only 5, because of Hundleys turnovers. If Rodgers was around, this defense would not seem so bad and the Packers would likely be 11-1 or 10-2.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Are we still deferring if we win the coin toss?
Maybe it's that to.

I dunno what this trend is in strategy to defer instead of wanting the ball from winning the coin toss.
Seems like it's 6 of one to me.
It wasn't that long ago when deferring was rare.
Now it's the other
From 2015
When the league first gave NFL teams the option to defer their choice until the second half in 2008, only 7.8 percent of coin toss winners took the option. That number has grown every season, according to ESPN Stats and Information, and this year, teams that won the coin toss have deferred their decision in 91 of 119 games, or 76.4 percent of the time.
It's working, too; according to ESPN Stats and Information, teams who defer are winning 54.9 percent of their games this year, compared to teams that win 51.9 percent of the time who take the ball after winning the toss.
ETA: teams that win the coin toss have a better than 50% chance of winning?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From 2015

ETA: teams that win the coin toss have a better than 50% chance of winning?
If we go by those stats, this means that even the Pack without Rodgers has the odds in their favor to defer.
If we don't go by the stats but on recent games, then without Rodgers the Pack doesn't have a chance against better teams.

With the way the Pack has been, I think it's better if they don't defer at this point no matter what the stats show to give them the best odds.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we go by those stats, this means that even the Pack without Rodgers has the odds in their favor to defer.
If we don't go by the stats but on recent games, then without Rodgers the Pack doesn't have a chance against better teams.

With the way the Pack has been, I think it's better if they don't defer at this point no matter what the stats show to give them the best odds.
They don’t need to defer with Hundley as the QB and Capers calling the defense. That’s a disaster.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They don’t need to defer with Hundley as the QB and Capers calling the defense. That’s a disaster.
I'll want to pay attention during the Browns game and see if they defer if they win the coin toss and see how close they win or lose.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll want to pay attention during the Browns game and see if they defer if they win the coin toss and see how close they win or lose.

I was thinking the same thing. I know they deferred against TB. Since Hundley has been the starter I also did some research, and have noticed the teams we have played have deferred against us as well...something that’s not done if Rodgers is the QB in those games. Also, before Rodgers went out the Packers led the league in opening drive points and touchdowns.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. I know they deferred against TB. Since Hundley has been the starter I also did some research, and have noticed the teams we have played have deferred against us as well...something that’s not done if Rodgers is the QB in those games. Also, before Rodgers went out the Packers led the league in opening drive points and touchdowns.
That makes sense and so MM should give a little consideration to the team we are playing when deciding whether to defer or not.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That makes sense and so MM should give a little consideration to the team we are playing when deciding whether to defer or not.

MM has chosen to receive almost 90% of the time since Rodgers has been QB...no matter who they’ve played. That’s more of having confidence in Rodgers and the offense putting points on the board rather than the defense stopping the opposition I can pretty much guarantee that haha.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM has chosen to receive almost 90% of the time since Rodgers has been QB...no matter who they’ve played. That’s more of having confidence in Rodgers and the offense putting points on the board rather than the defense stopping the opposition I can pretty much guarantee that haha.
You are taking stats from the start of ARs career. My guess would be if you look at only the last several; you would find that even with AR, we have elected to kick off more.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the graph I saw on the TV indicated we still did which I found surprising.
Anyway, doesn't matter.
Only stats that do are W's and L's.
(Did I use the apostrophes right? Yes, I am asking to be corrected if needed.)

Knowing the bone headed play calling we see from MM a lot, it won't surprise me if they defer and lose.
If he does defer then it shows that he has confidence in Hundley.
Obviously the majority on here have not seen enough or don't share in that confidence and instead share in the frustration of what we now got.

Last edited:

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Vikings: Allowed 23 points against an offense that averages 24 points a game and is ranked #5-#11 offense in the league
Saints: Allowed 26 points against an offense that averages 29.4 points per game and is ranked the #2-#3 offense in the league
Lions: Allowed 30 points against a team that averages 26.2 points per game and is ranked #5-#15 offense in the league
Bears: Gave up 16 points against a team that averages 16 points per game and ranked #30-#32 worst offense in the league
Ravens: Gave up 23 points against a team that averages 23.3 points per game and ranked #13-#30 offense in the league
Steelers: Gave up 31 points against a team that averages 24 points per game and is ranked #3-#11 best offense in the league
Tampa: Gave up 20 points against a team that averages 20.2 points per game and is ranked #13-#22 offense in the league

Now all things considered let’s factor in that Brett Hundley has been responsible for 9 turnovers (at least half of which has given the opposing offense great field positioning).

The defense is really not as bad as they are getting heat for. They are in the middle of the pack across the board. They are 7th in the league in takeaways. But the Packers have a turnover differential of only 5, because of Hundleys turnovers. If Rodgers was around, this defense would not seem so bad and the Packers would likely be 11-1 or 10-2.

The defense has looked average to me over Hundley's time. Nothing spectacular and your numbers support that.

They would likely be better with Rodgers moving the offense much more than Hundley too.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the graph I saw on the TV indicated we still did which I found surprising.
Anyway, doesn't matter.
Only stats that do are W's and L's.
(Did I use the apostrophes right? Yes, I am asking to be corrected if needed.)

Knowing the bone headed play calling we see from MM a lot, it won't surprise me if they defer and lose.
If he does defer then it shows that he has confidence in Hundley.
Obviously the majority on here have not seen enough or don't share in that confidence and instead share in the frustration of what we now got.

It appears that there is no definitive answer, much as with the Oxford comma. However, it's refreshing to see someone really want to know - it's tough taking folks seriously when their right to abuse the language in a way that would get my special needs grandson reprimanded in 3rd grade is defended. My choice for an answer (indicating that you're correct in your use) is:

Rule 6. There are various approaches to plurals for abbreviations, single letters, and numerals.

Many writers and editors prefer an apostrophe after single capitalized letters.

Example: I made straight A's.

(grammarbook.com)

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like Capers job is saved again. I bet getting a new DC won't even be on McCarthy's radar this offseason. Hope TT can pick some more defensive gems in the draft.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Totally agree and everyone would be saying, it’s not a great defense but it’s much improved over last year and good enough to win a super bowl. I feel that the arrow is definitely pointing up with this defense. Clark, Lowry, King, Randall, Jones and Martinez are improving imo. They plus other newcomers are likely to be the core of this defense in a few years.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like Capers job is saved again. I bet getting a new DC won't even be on McCarthy's radar this offseason. Hope TT can pick some more defensive gems in the draft.
Not sure I agree with that. I think Capers time may be coming to a close.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Totally agree and everyone would be saying, it’s not a great defense but it’s much improved over last year and good enough to win a super bowl. I feel that the arrow is definitely pointing up with this defense. Clark, Lowry, King, Randall, Jones and Martinez are improving imo. They plus other newcomers are likely to be the core of this defense in a few years.

This defense good enough to win a Super Bowl?!!! Bahahahahahahaha!! Against who?

Reaction score

Sounds all good regarding overall points per game, but how does that explain...
the GB Defense giving up the second worst pass % (69% of all passes are completed against us) of 32 teams? The only one worse? Oakland!!
Please allow me to say that’s a disgrace after what we’ve invested in our Defense.
We are 31st in passing completion %??!
We are 28th in opposing passer rating??
(I’ll give you a portion of this one on your argument)
We are 26th in Pass deflections?
We are 19th in INT?
We are 18th in FF?
We are 15th in sacks??
While I’m also a proponent of TO ratio. These are all categories that win games also. Our Defense is not very good right now.
We just gave up 31 points and 462 yards to the Steelers even when our Offense performed well and Hundley has zero INT.
Btw, Pitt had 3 Turnovers. What happened to all those takeaways?

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts