One play sort of sums up the season for me.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure if I've seen this sequence talked about but it jut sort of struck me as indicative of the Packers season so far. At the end of the 1st quarter in the Bears game. Its 4th and goal from the one. The packers line up as if they are going to go for the TD rather than kick a field goal (no problem with that aggressive stance so far) We try to draw them offsides (not sure what a half a yard will do but OK, I get it) they don't jump so we call a timeout. Then we come in and run a play that is stuffed. I'm perfectly OK with going for it but why bother trying to draw them offsides in the first place and why the hell would you waste the timeout only to come back with that play. They could have just as easily had the running play called and rather than have Rodgers call a timeout just snap the damn ball at 1 second and run the play. If anything you are going to be at an advantage to snap the ball because the defense has figured out that you are trying to draw them off and may be anticipating the TO. If you snap the ball you just might catch them with a split second of hesitation off the ball since they are really making an effort not to jump. That may not be the case but I can't see any advantage at all to call the timeout especially since it seemed pretty clear that they were not going to kick the FG. I suppose its possible that MM was planning on kicking and changed his mind but in that case, again, why try to draw them off. The penalty was not going to give you a fresh set of down. IMO it was a total waste of a timeout. It didn't matter in the grand scheme of things but it just seems to me to be indicative of the little things that have been going wrong. Rodgers seems to have very little regard for timeouts He either doesn't see them as important or doesn't realize that they are not unlimited.

Like I said, it wasn't a big deal but it was so unnecessary. I just thought it was really quite a stupid thing to do.

Last edited:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure if I've seen this sequence talked about but it jut sort of struck me as indicative of the Packers season so far. At the end of the 1st quarter in the Bears game. Its 4th and goal from the one. The packers line up as if they are going to go for the TD rather than kick a field goal (no problem with that aggressive stance so far) We try to draw them offsides (not sure what a half a yard will do but OK, I get it) they don't jump so we call a timeout. Then we come in and run a play that is stuffed. I'm perfectly OK with going for it but why bother trying to draw them offsides in the first place and why the hell would you waste the timeout only to come back with that play. They could have just as easily had the running play called and rather than have Rodgers call a timeout just snap the damn ball at 1 second and run the play. If anything you are going to be at an advantage to snap the ball because the defense has figured out that you are trying to draw them off and may be anticipating the TO. If you snap the ball you just might catch them with a split second of hesitation off the ball since they are really making an effort not to jump. That may not be the case but I can't see any advantage at all to call the timeout especially since it seemed pretty clear that they were not going to kick the FG. I suppose its possible that MM was planning on kicking and changed his mind but in that case, again, why try to draw them off. The penalty was not going to give you a fresh set of down. IMO it was a total waste of a timeout. It didn't matter in the grand scheme of things but it just seems to me to be indicative of the little things that have been going wrong. Rodgers seems to have very little regard for timeouts He either doesn't see them as important or doesn't realize that they are not unlimited.

Like I said, it wasn't a big deal but it was so unnecessary. I just thought it was really quite a stupid thing to do.
I pretty much agree with all of this. I would assume they were trying for the free play as mkonyn suggests, but I hate the wasting of the timeout.

D

Deleted member 6794

Rodgers tried to get the Bears to jump offside because a free play on fourth down would be huge as not converting it wouldn't result in turning the ball over. I agree he shouldn't use a timeout but run the play with the play clock running out though.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Timeout are meant to be used. They don't have to be saved until the end of a half.

For example, in the first quarter vs. Detroit, the Packers had 3rd and long from just outside the ten. The play clock ran low so Rodgers used a timeout. The next play was a touchdown.

Was that a wasted timeout also?

D

Deleted member 6794

Timeout are meant to be used. They don't have to be saved until the end of a half.

For example, in the first quarter vs. Detroit, the Packers had 3rd and long from just outside the ten. The play clock ran low so Rodgers used a timeout. The next play was a touchdown.

I don't have a problem with the Packers taking timeouts early in the first half but would appreciate not doing it in the second half.

The result of a play after a timeout doesn't mean it was the right decision to take it.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with the Packers taking timeouts early in the first half but would appreciate not doing it in the second half.

The result of a play after a timeout doesn't mean it was the right decision to take it.

It was certainly the right decision on that play.

Having a 3rd and even longer greatly reduces the odds of picking it up.

D

Deleted member 6794

It was certainly the right decision on that play.

Well, after taking a look back Rodgers actually threw an incompletion after the timeout targeting Cobb in the endzone. He found Nelson for a touchdown on the next play.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did they sub after the timeout? I don't know, but maybe they knew they were going for it, but didn't have the right personnel on the field for whatever they had practiced for the week that situation. Rather than burn the timeout and think about it, decide and then get the right package on the field, they tried to hurry up and catch them and get a free one? Maybe they weren't planning on not running a play, but after lining up, Rodgers decided their play call wasn't going to work and to just run it down and try and catch them? If it didn't work, their play call wasn't going to work anyway, so they called a time out? Maybe it was all just a big cluster, but the way they hurried to the line with time left, I have to think it was something they worked on or were planning for in some way.

I don't know know, all I know is you make it, it's good, if you don't everything is questioned.

D

Deleted member 6794

Did they sub after the timeout? I don't know, but maybe they knew they were going for it, but didn't have the right personnel on the field for whatever they had practiced for the week that situation. Rather than burn the timeout and think about it, decide and then get the right package on the field, they tried to hurry up and catch them and get a free one? Maybe they weren't planning on not running a play, but after lining up, Rodgers decided their play call wasn't going to work and to just run it down and try and catch them? If it didn't work, their play call wasn't going to work anyway, so they called a time out? Maybe it was all just a big cluster, but the way they hurried to the line with time left, I have to think it was something they worked on or were planning for in some way.

I don't know know, all I know is you make it, it's good, if you don't everything is questioned.

Actually taking a look at the play the offense was lined up for more than 10 seconds before Rodgers took the timeout. He didn't try to get the Lions jump offside either. It seems the quarterback didn't like the formation against Detroit's defense.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just watched replay of that play, and it was a completely ridiculous play call.
5 wide receivers on the field and it's a run up the middle? Jordy & Cobb lined up on the left, Adams on the right, Janis as lead blocker & Monty carried the ball. In what Madden game is this a good play call????
https://twitter.com/NFL/status/789270191645478912

I agree at this point in the game being aggressive and going for it was a good choice, but 5 WR's and run the ball?? Why not put in a 300+ lb OL as lead blocker? We have 2 TE packages, don't we?

D

Deleted member 6794

5 wide receivers on the field and it's a run up the middle? Jordy & Cobb lined up on the left, Adams on the right, Janis as lead blocker & Monty carried the ball. In what Madden game is this a good play call????

I agree at this point in the game being aggressive and going for it was a good choice, but 5 WR's?? Why not put in a 300+ lb OL as lead blocker? We have 2 TE packages, don't we?

True, the Packers shouldn't have run the ball out of that formation. Especially as Rodgers fumbled on a similar play one week earlier against the Cowboys.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You lost me.
How is this play being a reflection of the Packers 2016 season?

Reaction score

I agree at this point in the game being aggressive and going for it was a good choice, but 5 WR's and run the ball?? Why not put in a 300+ lb OL as lead blocker? We have 2 TE packages, don't we?
Where is RAji when you need him?!
Seriously though. I've seen several 4th and 1 scenarios where if we had a guy like Mike Daniels eligible? He wouldve steam rolled the 240lb LB and 195lb safety for a yard.

OP
OP
S

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not the same at all. In your example the clock was about to run out and Rodgers had to call timeout to avoid a delay of game penalty. In my example he could have tried to draw them offsides and still snap the ball with one or two seconds left to avoid using the timeout. I don't have a problem with calling a timeout to avoid a DOG penalty but that wasn't the case here.

That's possible. I'm guessing, or at least I am hoping there was some change of personnel or something after the timeout or it makes it even a worse decision.

Actually taking a look at the play the offense was lined up for more than 10 seconds before Rodgers took the timeout. He didn't try to get the Lions jump offside either. It seems the quarterback didn't like the formation against Detroit's defense.

Another possibility.

True, the Packers shouldn't have run the ball out of that formation. Especially as Rodgers fumbled on a similar play one week earlier against the Cowboys.

And that brilliant call was made after they had a timeout to discuss it.

You lost me.
How is this play being a reflection of the Packers 2016 season?

Just an example of a little thing that doesn't seem to be such a bright move. I don't think you can point to one big thing and say this is what is wrong with the Packers this year and this is just one little thing that to me sums it up. It just doesn't seem to me to be the sort of thing a team with it all together does and to me the Packers don't have it all together.

Sky King

Reaction score
Rodgers shouldn't allow to play clock to run down in the first place though.
Not only has this predictable ploy gotten old and weary but it gives the defense the opportunity to tee-off when the clock is just about to run out. It's not a novelty play anymore and the defenses clearly are anticipating it. Why not? The Packers stubbornly cling to it despite diminishing returns.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Not only has this predictable ploy gotten old and weary but it gives the defense the opportunity to tee-off when the clock is just about to run out. It's not a novelty play anymore and the defenses clearly are anticipating it. Why not? The Packers stubbornly cling to it despite diminishing returns.
Since it worked in the past otherwise the returns would not be diminishing ..
If you do what you've always done you'll get what you've always got.
Answered your own observation. :rolleyes: