On being Great

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I sit here at the computer I find myself thinking about what can be said about Brett Favre. He started out in obscurity and has risen to greatness. His career has been spattered with adversity sublime achievement and everthing in between.

Honestly though what has made BF great. To me it is not the records. Not the Superbowl. It has been his desire to play a game and have the ability to maintain that in his career. I often think that if I had the same passion for my job I would achieve great things as well.

This year has been tough for us Packer fans but imagine how tough it has been for Favre playing in a league that I think would love for him to go away. He still has the tools in the shed to be a competitive qb.

I may be selfish in wanting to see Favre come back next year but even if he doesnt he takes my respect with him.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, as long as #4 is playing, Peyton Manning, Donovan McNabb, Ron Mexico and all the others will have a truly iconic player, that they and the league KNOW (even with a SB win), will NEVER measure up to the walking, talking legend that is Brett Favre.

He is a daily reminder to the NFL "star-makers", and the wannabe stars themselves, that he is truly the last of a dying breed...the gunslinging, do-or-die, sandlot balling QB...the likes of which we may never see again. His love of the game, and the enthusiasm with which he plays, are but once in a lifetime for most fans. We have been very lucky in GB to have him as our own.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
His 'im a kid playing a game' attitude for me makes him great and the level of play he continues to play at.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did anyone see him run for 4 yards, and get hit, then he got up and made a 'muscle' pose over the guy? I coulda died

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Did anyone see him run for 4 yards, and get hit, then he got up and made a 'muscle' pose over the guy? I coulda died

yeah that was pretty funny...did you seem him jawing at one of the Falcons? he was fired up big time...

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Consistently superior performance. There are many one year wonders but Brett continues to be one of the best year after year. This year he is:

1st in completions
4th in yards.
4th in TD passes
4th in sack %
5th in completion percentage.

His experience and calm in the pocket during very critical game times emboldens the rest of the offense and inspires the defense. His leadership has been essential to keeping the team together this year.

As tough as he is, he can easily play another 5 years. He ties the consecutive start record on the last game of the 2009 season. He breaks it opening day 2010 when he is only 40.

Who the ______ has any evidence that Brett Favre is "not in his prime" of his career right now??

cdnpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read a funny quote somebody said on a hockey message board. It's realated to Favre/Manning and other QB's.

It was something like "He's (Favre) had the likes of Robert Brooks, Bill Schroeder,Antonio Freeman, Donald Driver. All good recievers, but none of whom have stayed around long enough to form a formidible combo. Manning/Harrison probably know when the other is in the bathroom, they're so tight....."

I love Favre, he's awesome to watch. He may not be in his prime anymore, but he's still amazing and one of the better QB's in the NFL. Right now, bias aside, I think Manning is the best at the moment, with Brady up there too....but what Packer fan doesn't like/appreciate Brett Favre? The only football fans who bash him constantly are just jealous they never had a quarterback like him on their team.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have seen all the Packer Quarterbacks since 1950 and Brett Favre is the best all around Packer Quarterback I have seen. I think his career statistics bear my statement out. He has done this with out 10 Hall of Famers and many All pros that Bart Starr had during the Glory years Packers coached by Vince Lombardi . During those days there was no salary cap or free agency> Packers basically has the same players for many years on Glory years teams. There has been many changes in personel during Brett's 15 years playing with the Packers. As things stand right now, I think Brett will be back for his 16th year. Brett, in my opinion, is most important franchise player since Don Hutson , who is considered by many the savior of Packer franchise. Don Hutson worked his pass catching magic during 1935 to 1946 era. he was call "End" in those days , but today would be called a wide receiver. ------ PWT36 Packer Forum -Packer Historian

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz.....when he was interviewed after the game about showing his bicep he said he "should have shown something else because his bicep isn't that big". I thought it was the perfect opportunity for the reporter to come back with a great line (no...you perverts....not what you're thinking). He should have said "It would have been too hard to show your heart".

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember when we were little kids running around the back yard or sand lot playing football and when it was time to throw the ball, you would picture yourself in the Big League and give yourself a play by play with the clock ticking down and you scramble around....4........3....2....."little Jiimmy Throws the ball in the air and it's caught by little Timmy and they win The Superbowl!!!!HHHOOORRRAAAHHH.

And then you do the the play again?

Thats what we and fans across the League see in Favre,...themselves when they were kids.

He brings that boyish enthusiasim to the Table. We know he started out that way and will end that way. That is why his appeal is so wide.

PURE, HONEST, HEART :chest:

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

The guy cracked me up also :lol: I wonder if that was a "tounge-in-cheek" gesture for the likes of T.O. who do all there "posing".

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember when we were little kids running around the back yard or sand lot playing football and when it was time to throw the ball, you would picture yourself in the Big League and give yourself a play by play with the clock ticking down and you scramble around....4........3....2....."little Jiimmy Throws the ball in the air and it's caught by little Timmy and they win The Superbowl!!!!HHHOOORRRAAAHHH.

And then you do the the play again?
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Thats what we and fans across the League see in Favre,...themselves when they were kids.

He brings that boyish enthusiasim to the Table. We know he started out that way and will end that way. That is why his appeal is so wide.

PURE, HONEST, HEART :chest:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts