Offensive Weapons

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I like the looks of all the potential formation variations we may see this year with all the different tools we now have. Dual TE's, combo of Cobb and Montgomery, with some long speed types like Janis, Davis & Dupre. Should keep McCarthy and Rodgers from getting bored and the offense fresh and diverse. Excited to see all the different personnel groupings, formations and pre-snap movements and how defenses react to it all.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure if some have seen this but PFF had Ty Montgomery as their most elusive RB last season (minimum 100 offensive touches). Ty lead the league in average yards after contact (admittedly helped by the Bears game in which I believe he had roughly 876 yards after contact). He averaged 4.6 yards after contact, a full yard ahead of the second place guy. Montgomery also tied for third in broken tackle rate while running the ball, averaging a broken tackle every 4.6 carries.

Put that guy in the backfield, with Bennett at TE and Nelson/Adams/Cobb at WR and you have a scary offensive formation. Bennett is a good blocker and, with Ty's ability to motion out of the backfield, you are fielding an offense that can happily run the ball all day or, if the defense plays nickel, just go five-wide and throw the ball all day. That's a complete nightmare for the defense.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not our best weapon but I agree that running the ball effectively will be our most important ingredient. And that means the run blocking must improve. Stats do lie because the only ones that are important are the ones against good teams.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
excited to see the o. i think it's gonna be pretty good. expecting anything from janis, and davis (to a lessor extent), is a long shot. if they do make the team and actually contribute it'll be because there's been a BAD injury situation.

D

Deleted member 6794

excited to see the o. i think it's gonna be pretty good. expecting anything from janis, and davis (to a lessor extent), is a long shot. if they do make the team and actually contribute it'll be because there's been a BAD injury situation.

I agree about Janis not contributing as a receiver going forward but haven't given up on Davis yet.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I agree about Janis not contributing as a receiver going forward but haven't given up on Davis yet.

Davis could surprise some people this year. He was doing pretty well last year, made a few rookie mistakes mid season and sort of wound up in MM's Doghouse. It has been reported that he hasn't had a problem learning the playbook, he has great speed and could be an asset returning punts/kicks. Out of all the returning WR's I am looking at Davis as possibly the guy we see the most improvement out of from 2016. If he does that, he could earn himself the #5 WR spot.

Has anyone seen any recent pictures of Davis? The one thing he needed to do was add some muscle to his thin frame and I am wondering if he has accomplished that?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he doesn't strike me as a guy that can or will add much weight. I think he's just going to have to learn to play at a light weight relative to the NFL. Other guys have done it, I think he can too. I'm not sure where he stands on the team, but your assessment probably isn't far off. He showed some stuff, committed some mistakes, was put away for awhile and then never really brought back. I didn't think it bode well for him, but then the coach comes out and says he earned more playing time than he got and he should have seen the field more. I'm guessing he's going to get a great shot to earn his spot on the team this year, he'll just have to show he belongs.

I think we have enough guys there competing, someone needs to separate themselves from the rest and make selections easy :)

D

Deleted member 6794

Davis was not even a starter on his college team. But hope springs eternal. Nothing wrong with wishing him the best.

Davis wasn't California's #1 receiver during his time with the Bears but he started nine of 13 games in his senior season.

OP
OP
PikeBadger

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Not our best weapon but I agree that running the ball effectively will be our most important ingredient. And that means the run blocking must improve. Stats do lie because the only ones that are important are the ones against good teams.
Well, 31 other teams stats are lying then too. I think the offensive line's performance in recent years has been plenty good enough for us to have a diversified and successful offense. Even good teams have difficulty containing us.

Edit: i think the big question mark is how long it takes Evans to mesh with the returning starters and how they perform as a cohesive unit in September.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, 31 other teams stats are lying then too. I think the offensive line's performance in recent years has been plenty good enough for us to have a diversified and successful offense. Even good teams have difficulty containing us.

Edit: i think the big question mark is how long it takes Evans to mesh with the returning starters and how they perform as a cohesive unit in September.

According to PFF the Packers had the best pass blocking unit in the league last season but struggled mightily to allow running backs to gain yards before contact.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
  • From Week 7 through the postseason, when he was exclusively playing running back, Montgomery was PFF’s most elusive back producing an elusive rating of 97.6. He forced 30 total missed tackles on 141 touches while churning out 4.59 yards after contact per attempt.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

H

HardRightEdge

...with some long speed types like Janis, Davis & Dupre.
I would hardly be shocked if the WR group was Nelson, Adams, Cobb, Allison and Yancey, with 2 of the 3 you noted not making the roster.

In fact, I would not be surprised if none of those 3 make the roster, given the 3 TEs are likely to get a fair number of snaps and Montgomery has position flexibility in moving to the slot in a pinch.

I wouldn't pen in Allison and Yancey at this stage since the #4 and #5 spots should be competitive, but Allison did move ahead Janis and Davis last year and Yancey's draft status gives him an edge over Dupre.

Yancey's size and strength (21 lifts), along with what looks to me like long speed in his 4.53 time, might qualify him for a gunner job which would make Janis expendable.

In any event, I would expect the receiver group to be 5 or 6, but not 7, and I'm leaning toward 5. When you get to those bottom 8 roster spots that don't make the game day roster, if the basic depth requirements have been filled in the top 45, the remaining spots can come down to perceived potential with less regard to position.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know what PikeBadger? I don't care about the other teams. I only care about the GBP. And having a separate category for stats against good teams makes sense. I am kind of tired of seeing stats padded for the team and for individual players. And then when playing against good teams some people wonder what went wrong. When really we were just misled by stats. That said, I am looking forward to a great season.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
You know what PikeBadger? I don't care about the other teams. I only care about the GBP. And having a separate category for stats against good teams makes sense. I am kind of tired of seeing stats padded for the team and for individual players. And then when playing against good teams some people wonder what went wrong. When really we were just misled by stats. That said, I am looking forward to a great season.

That point can be hammered home with the Packers "#1 run defense" last year after the first 4 games. The stats were artificially inflated due to facing teams with not only weak running games, but teams that were forced into playing backup RB's due to injuries. The Cowboys and Zeke Elliott came into Green Bay in week 6 and showed just how inaccurate that assumption was. While our run defense turned out to be ok last year, it was by no means the best in the NFL as those early stats would lead many to believe.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That point can be hammered home with the Packers "#1 run defense" last year after the first 4 games. The stats were artificially inflated due to facing teams with not only weak running games, but teams that were forced into playing backup RB's due to injuries. The Cowboys and Zeke Elliott came into Green Bay in week 6 and showed just how inaccurate that assumption was. While our run defense turned out to be ok last year, it was by no means the best in the NFL as those early stats would lead many to believe.
I seen our defense fall apart after Guion got hurt. The ilbs both got hurt when they were forced to step up. And the CBs getting hurt at the same time??? That was the deal breaker....

No dline depth was a huge problem imo.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking at our starting offense... it looks unbeatable to me.
Jordy, Adams, Cobb has got to be the best wr trio in the NFL. Then you add in Montgomery and his 6+ ypc, tackle breaking and receiving ability. He will be a back breaker to any team that commits to stopping our 3 wrs... to add a giant of a man like Bennett, who at 6'6" 272 is built like a left tackle. But can still run down field giving #12 a huge target... he is a dual threat with blocking and receiving...

With our extremely efficient hall of fame qb running the offense. And a top rated pass blocking oline to protect him.......

I'm not seeing a move that could make this offense any better. Maybe add a Julio Jones, or a pre injury gronk, being the only dream based exception.

Our defense is going to turn it around this year if I am right in speculating we are beefing up the dline, and playing bigger faster CBs to play more physical...
I'm very optimistic on a few fronts.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You need to get your facts straight as Guion only missed a single game last season and wasn't even on the injury report for any other contest.
Look Capt. He went down and became less effective. By the time he was back to normal our defense had zero pass defense, and his impact was lost in the wash...

I believe it was a chain reaction. Martinez and Ryan looked great with the dline and peppers/Perry wreaking havoc. When the shallow dline lost one of the main contributors, the ilbs were forced to not only cover, but play against guards. The olbs sacks disappeared and the ilbs both got hurt.... not random imo.
Next, without pressure on the qb or help from the over achieving young ilbs, all the pressure was on the secondary. They already lost the best cover man, and when our young up and coming guys were forced to play physical, they got injured...

Then Guion was back to doing his job. But the rest of the defense was bleeding out...

It wasn't until the ilbs,CBs got semi healthy and Clark upped his game to rotate the tired starters, did we get a complete defense back on the field. By the time the playoffs came. The CBs were so beat up they were avoiding contact...and that cost us the season...

That's how I seen it go down.

H

HardRightEdge

Davis was not even a starter on his college team. But hope springs eternal. Nothing wrong with wishing him the best.
Hoping and wishing is always an option.

Toward the end of the season Davis was displaced on the game day roster, with a UDFA in Allison passing him on the depth chart. Drafting 2 receivers is not exactly a statement of confidence in Davis' development when there are 4 guys ahead of him already.

There was some enthusiasm for Davis at the time he was drafted as a possible returner based on his junior year numbers. That did not work out.

Maybe the 2 fumbles on a limited number of touches did him in. Probably. Ball protection is high on the list of McCarthy requirements.

Yeah, it does not cost anything to wish him the best. It doesn't cost anything to wish 90 guys the best, but we know at least 37 of those guys will not be on the roster and we know at least 1/2 of them will not be on the opening day game roster.

Davis has one thing going against him: last year was an accrued season, and unless they made another rule change I'm not aware of he's not eligible for the practice squad where another 6th. or 7th. WR could be stashed.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

Look Capt. He went down and became less effective. By the time he was back to normal our defense had zero pass defense, and his impact was lost in the wash...

It wasn't a factor at all as Guion never appeared on the injury report aside of missing a single game. In addition you vastly overvalue his importance to the defense.

Davis has one thing going against him: last year was an accrued season, and unless they made another rule change I'm not aware of he's not eligible for the practice squad where another 6th. or 7th. WR could be stashed.

Davis is eligible for the practice squad as a team is allowed to have four players on it with a maximum of two accrued seasons.

Reaction score
I believe GB went after Davis to increase speed at WR, partly as a deep threat and an insurance policy against Jordy not making a full or quick recovery. Jordy, conversely, worked like an animal to recoup his amazing form and has shown he's nowhere close to slowing down.
Davis was just simply unimpressive in his rookie season when given the chance, He played more like a 4.6 receiver and got swallowed up by the increase of speed at the pro level IMO. Then we pan to Trevor's ST value..Now, granted it was his first year with limited snaps but it is what it is, he scored poorly. Add to that an emerging WR in Geronimo and that doesn't bode well for Trevor.
It is not a coincidence that we picked 2 WRs late in the draft when we could've went after much needed OL depth or other depth needs. It's not hard to read between the lines here. I believe both Trevor and Jeff are on notice and 1 or both may be gone this year if they don't step up their game.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts