O'Brien Schofield - OLB - Wisconsin

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no great video for him, but after watching countless wisconsin games this year and last year I can tell you this man is a beast, and im sure countless others on this forum will say the same being wisconsin fans and all.

**He had 24.5 TFL and 12 sacks last year, second to only Brandon Graham, who we all know is now be touted as a sure fire first rounder.

Here is some pretty good analysis from CBSsports.com

**Keep in mind that he tore his ACL at senior bowl practice and therefore his availability will be limited, however I think he is a fantastic project type of player we can draft in the 7th round (he was projected to go in the 4th/5th before he got hurt

Read & React: Very good nose for the ball playing near the line or in space. Plays faster than his timed speed indicates because of his football IQ. Aware and reads misdirection on the edge. Gets his hands up to block passes near the line.

Run defense: Takes good angles to the ball and is a reliable tackler in the open. Stands his ground very well against tackles on either side of the line considering he is undersized. Explodes into double teams. Able to punch and disengage to chase down run plays run to his side, but will be engulfed regularly by NFL offensive tackles. Beats cut blocks with his hands, recovers quickly to chase down the ball.

Pass defense: Displays the speed needed to cover tight ends and running backs downfield and in the flat. Attacks plays in front of him, takes good angles and wraps securely. Aware of screens and can take out a running back before quarterback can throw the ball. Better receivers and tight ends will separate from him using their length. Must improve the fluidity in his backpedal and drop to get into position in coverage. Inexperienced recognizing routes and will need to prove he can make the interception.

Tackling: Always hustles to the ball whether the play is on his side or he needs to chase down the line or downfield. Uses his long arms to wrap up securely, can be explosive enough to knock the ball loose. Doesn't have the size or strength to make a lot of arm tackles. Former special teams ace with a future there because of his speed and willingness to throw his body into the fray.

Pass Rush/Blitz: Relentless pass rusher. Often double-teamed and works through blocks and traffic until the ball is away. Explodes from three-point stance or when standing up, although he will be the last guy off the ball at times. Gets the corner against slower tackles and tight ends, and can push them into the pocket using his lack of height to get under their pads. Strong hands to rip off blocks and force fumbles. Stays balanced after a spin or outside-in move. Nice backfield awareness; stays home on misdirection and can disrupt passing lanes with good vertical and arm length if unable to reach the quarterback. Explodes into running back blocks.
Intangibles: Facing a nine-month rehab, at minimum, after tearing ligaments in his knee at the Senior Bowl. Team captain. Looked up to by younger teammates and respected by all players and coaches. Leader by nature, growing up in Navy household and in junior ROTC while in high school. Pushes his teammates to match his standards in the classroom, weight room and practice field.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
He was a beast in college. Time will tell on whether he will be a good pro. You missed saying that he didn't play linebacker in college....he played defensive end, and moving to linebacker and having to worry about pass coverage could be a very tough move for him. Also he's going to have to recover from a serious knee injury. I hope he turns out to have a good pro career. He was a great player for the Badgers.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only positive to his injury is that it will take at least 3-4 months for the recovery and therefore he may go undrafted, a nice present for TT because he won't need to spend a draft pick to get him.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Could be a good value pick late because of the injury. I don't know that I like him more than, say, Brad Jones, but he has value.

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was a beast in college. Time will tell on whether he will be a good pro. You missed saying that he didn't play linebacker in college....he played defensive end, and moving to linebacker and having to worry about pass coverage could be a very tough move for him. Also he's going to have to recover from a serious knee injury. I hope he turns out to have a good pro career. He was a great player for the Badgers.

And you missed that he had similar 40 times to the other OLB... I think the shrine bowl showed that dropping into coverage doesn't bother him. OB is the real deal, plain and simple. Someone is going to have a pros pro some day. Hope its the Green and Gold.

OP
OP
C

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And you missed that he had similar 40 times to the other OLB... I think the shrine bowl showed that dropping into coverage doesn't bother him. OB is the real deal, plain and simple. Someone is going to have a pros pro some day. Hope its the Green and Gold.

Exactly. That game showed he has the ability to both rush the passer and play coverage, go watch the east west shrine game highlights, he sticks out, and his INT and sacks were big plays in that game against elite talent. I would certainly have him on my team over Obiozor or whatever his name is.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only positive to his injury is that it will take at least 3-4 months for the recovery and therefore he may go undrafted, a nice present for TT because he won't need to spend a draft pick to get him.
Let me just say that.....as far as the person........the man....is concerned.......that injury cost him millions of dollars. A game that really meant squat. I hope this guy recovers and becomes the next Lawrence Taylor.........without the .....ummm.....bad habits. It would be nice for the Packers to get this guy and see him get what he deserves........after he kicks some ***..........as a Packer.......and a primo contract!!!!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's just one thing... From what you read in those scouting reports... It looks like every prospect is Lawrence Taylor...

Schofield is a great prospect, don't get me wrong. Watched UW x UM, in the Paul Banyan's Axe game, and he was a beast.

But from the scouting report, it's like he'd be a pro bowler from the get go.

Well, it did happen to CM3...

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's just one thing... From what you read in those scouting reports... It looks like every prospect is Lawrence Taylor...

Schofield is a great prospect, don't get me wrong. Watched UW x UM, in the Paul Banyan's Axe game, and he was a beast.

But from the scouting report, it's like he'd be a pro bowler from the get go.

Well, it did happen to CM3...
______________________-
After getting injured in a game that meant nothing..........I'm just rooting for the guy!! If we get him.....cool....if not....its ok too! I just like to see him do well. I'm sure after the injury he was just crushed thinking .........its over!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
______________________-
After getting injured in a game that meant nothing..........I'm just rooting for the guy!! If we get him.....cool....if not....its ok too! I just like to see him do well. I'm sure after the injury he was just crushed thinking .........its over!
He didn't get injuried in a game that meant nothing... He got injury in a WORKOUT that meant nothing...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, absolutely, this guy in round 5-7 is a great deal.

He won't play next year, but he has tons of potential. Would be a 2nd round pick, if wasn't hurt...

Reaction score
Would love to see Schofield on the packers. Great personality, hard worker, Motor that never stops, and talented. Nfl needs to see more of these guys. Hopefully the packers can pull the trigger on him.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reports have it that Schofield's rehab is going better than expected. He's still predicted to go in the later rounds and remain on the PUP list for the 2010 season. However some are speculating that he could be ready as early as week 7 of the season. Gradually this has led to a lot of interest as he's just coming off a visit with the Jets are some other teams are calling to schedule meetings with him.