Oak Creek graduation and Brett Favre analogy

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
My step daughter graduated from Oak Creek yesterday ( is at very southern part of Milwaukee county)

Had about 500 kids, with on average 5 people for each kid and was held at Miller Park..So had a pretty decent crowd..

Had a teacher give a speech whom was very very funny...He was explaining on how the kids can't ever forget their past...And as he said it, he brought out a GB Favre jersey...

Lot boo'd him, ad I am pretty sure I heard NO cheering..

That showed me that people still are not ready to let Brett back in..I would have thought that now after the SB win, lot of people would be willing to let Brett back in their hearts, but I didnt see it yesterday

Then as he continued, he began to talk about the future, and how they need to embrace the future as it could be better than the past..

As he said it, out came a Rodgers jersey..

I was very surprised to hear the roars, whistles and screams..And how loud they were..

Still will take time for Brett to be back in the hearts of the fans

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll never forget what he did. But I guess I never really took it personally. The thing that was the hardest for me to deal with was having the blinders taken off and seeing just how immature, self-serving, and deluded my hero actually is. I say "is", not "was". My mistake was believing that he was actually a really good guy. Truth is, he's kind of a jerk. And that's fine. I know a lot of jerks. I get along fine with a lot of jerks. The caveat is that most of the jerks that I get along with actually know that they are a jerk. I can't abide a jerk who has no idea that he's a jerk. I think Brett is part of the latter group. I didn't see that until the fallout, but I should have. So that one's on me for being too deluded by hero-worship to see him as he really is. Yet, he was my favorite player for a very long time, and what he did for my team is unforgettable too, or at least I think it should be.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Players come, players go. Favre came, did his job well for many years after a few years of training and then was told to leave. Gilbert Brown and Leroy Butler same thing. They both wanted to come back after their injuries but no dice. They accepted it after time. Favre had the opportunity for an encore with other teams. No hard feelings, it's a business. Joe Montana, Joe Namath, Paul Hornung, Reggie White, Jim McMahon, Jerry Rice all ended their careers with other teams. So what?

How long did it take for 500+ diplomas? Last year DePere High did 320 inside an hour and a half from entrance march to mortarboard tossing.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
I would agree with you Poppa San, if Favre had left with his dignity and his integrity in tact, but to leave the way he did with the attitude he did, swearing he would stick it to Ted, and then pulling his ultimate act of treachery by going to the Queens -- that's not business, that's disloyalty and if he is going to be disloyal to me as a fan then I feel no sense of loyalty to him as a player. He lost my trust and he is going to have to work long and hard to regain it.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Players come, players go. Favre came, did his job well for many years after a few years of training and then was told to leave. Gilbert Brown and Leroy Butler same thing. They both wanted to come back after their injuries but no dice. They accepted it after time. Favre had the opportunity for an encore with other teams. No hard feelings, it's a business. Joe Montana, Joe Namath, Paul Hornung, Reggie White, Jim McMahon, Jerry Rice all ended their careers with other teams. So what?

How long did it take for 500+ diplomas? Last year DePere High did 320 inside an hour and a half from entrance march to mortarboard tossing.

none of those players called other teams offering everything they know about the offense.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
A players loyalty is too whomever pays the salary. All the other teams and fans are the bad guys. Mix an immature player, an obsessive fawning media, a stoic management, and meddling by the teams bitter rival and you get what happened. Favre expected to be a free-agent or playing for the Packers, the Packer brain trust took spring and summer off, the Vikings or at least a coach or two were whispering in his ear (I can't prove that), and the media is what it is. The offering of play calls to another team should have been investigated by the league. The league should also have checked in to the sham retirement from the Jets.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Favre retired. No team was paying his salary, at least not until he manipulated the system to "stick it to Ted" -- and to Packer fans everywhere btw -- so your "whomever pays his salary" argument is fallacious. Loyalty is loyalty and he had his chance to stay with the Pack for as long as he wanted; at least until he started jerking everyone's chain because he is such a prima donna. He could have gone away quietly as a hero. He chose to go otherwise.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Well it was about 2.5 hours in total..They had different speakers and such...

But Rob Edwards, voice of the Brewers did the announcing of the kids names..I think was about 40 mins?

And it wasnt 500 kids...Was told it was 421?

Top 2 kids in their class...One had a 4.3 salutatorian and other was 4.5 valedictorian GPA for entire 4 years..All advance placement classes..

Both got full scholarships...valedictorian going to Stanford for Biological engineer

Salutatorian going to Yale (forgot what for)

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
DePere didn't do valedictorian that I recall. Honor students had stoles and stars in the bulletins. 2 kids spoke, the class prez and the other voted on by the students. Short speech by principal and 1 school board member. I was amazed at the brevity. Took longer to eat up the food after. Also a graduating class all night lock-in started about an hour and a half later.