Leon Washington, Florida State

LenDale White, Southern California

Terrence Whitehead, Oregon

DeAngelo Williams, Memphis

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9240716 <-- source link

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Now it's time to show off the skills

(Defensive end Mario Williams is considered one of the top prospects in the 2006 NFL Draft. As a junior at North Carolina State, Williams helped lead the Wolfpack to a 7-5 record and a shutout bowl victory over South Florida. Williams' 14½ sacks and 24 tackles for loss propelled N.C. State to a No. 8 national ranking in total defense. NFL.com brings you updates from Williams as he approaches the draft.)

(Feb. 16, 2006) -- With all this time and all this preparation, I'm just really anxious to get out to the Combine and do what I do, have the experience of being there, and get it done. Hopefully I'll do well, and I'll go from there. I'm not nervous, just really excited. I'm really loose because I'm so excited. I can't wait to get the chance to go out there and be around all the athletes, coaches and GMs.

The total amount of repetitions have been cut down in our routine at API (Athletes' Performance), but the intensity is still high. We're working on the fundamentals and all the small things; the basics. The key techniques I'm doing are the 5-10-5, three-cone drill, how we bench, run our 40 -- we're fine-tuning the little things. We're just trying to get focused and preparing to dial it in for the Combine. I've heard it from some of the guys that it's a little bit of both nerves and excitement. It's just been a while since we've played. We're all working up to the point where we can go out there and do what we need to do.

I feel like I'm already predestined to be in the NFL. Whatever is going to happen, is going to happen. So I can't go out to the Combine and put the world on my shoulders, worrying about this and that. I just have to go out there and do what I do. Some of the NFL guys over here have told me to stay focused and not get too excited too early before I go out there and run. Don't get psyched out waiting to run the 40 or something like that. Basically they said to stay calm and be ready for anything.

Being a top prospect, I really don't have any pressure or anything like that. Like I said, I do what I do. I thank God I can do what I do, and knowing he is behind me, there isn't any pressure. But I guess I do get some extra respect from players on and off the field. A lot of guys make little jokes. People say, "There goes top five, there goes top 10. Big money man." You don't say that for everybody, so in that way I do get the respect. I must be on their mind all day. It's all fun and games; just kidding around. I'm just thankful that I'm in a position for that to happen.

Mario Williams, who knows how to get to the QB like Julius Peppers can, could be a force as a rookie.
When I was in college, I watched Julius Peppers all the time. Watching him play and the similarities we have, I try to do the things he does. He knows how to go out and perform at a high level. I just try to be like him, or better. Everything is very similar. Sometimes I don't actually mean to do something, but as I look at it on film or on TV, and I look at how he is on TV, there are a lot of things that I imitate. Even just getting out of my stance as the ball is snapped. A lot of times I don't mean to.

Of course Barry Sanders was a big thing when I was growing up. I liked just watching him run. He and Deion Sanders I watched because they were always around the ball. It was a real excitement for me watching them as a kid. I was also a running back in high school, but if there were other positions I would play, it would be outside or inside linebacker.

The No. 1 thing I love is when little kids look up to me. Whether they want my autograph or my cleats, I'll give it to them. My last game I was handing my cleats to someone in the stands. It's a great feeling to touch kids' hearts. I remember when I was a little kid and I looked up to people like that. For me to be able to do that for them, if they want a cleat or a glove, it's just a great feeling for me. It was the same on campus. Just the other day someone from N.C. State was IMing (AOL Instant Message) me, writing, "I can't believe I'm talking to Mario Williams!" It's funny stuff, but at the same time you can't let it go to your head. It's all fun and games, but I do love it.

Olympic pride
I was watching curling and I never knew that was an Olympic game. I had no idea in the world how to play it. I had never seen it before. But I don't watch that much because I don't have the time to watch TV.

I never heard of Jeremy Bloom (U.S. freestyle skier and former University of Colorado player headed to the Combine) before, but I think what he's done is great. I think I could chase him down, though. Everything's different on a football field. He might be tired. You never know.

-- As told to Seth Polansky