No Pass Rusher In Round 1

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT will draft the BPA in most situations. Unless its a WR I think its possible he could go anywhere. QB would somewhat surprise me in the first round though.

If the scenario comes up where a WR and QB are the top two players on the board, wouldn't it be smarter to trade the pick instead of drafting the player?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why was there "no justification" for the Jordy Nelson pick? At the time, Donald Driver was already in his 10th season and the #4 receiver was Ruvell Martin.

I understand what you are saying, but a receiver pick makes no sense. Jennings, Nelson, Jones and Cobb are all young, productive players. It typically takes a rookie until his third full season to be productive (outside of player like Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, Randy Moss). After the next two season, Jennings, Nelson, Jones and Cobb will all still be young an productive. Not to mention, Finley is only 24.
We also had Jennings who was looking good and drafted Jones in third year before. Ruvell was serviceable. At the time everyone wanted oline and cb help (this was pre Tramon stepping up). Fans were angry about the pick as I recall.
Jordy only caught 55 catches for 586 yard his first 2 years. That isn't bad as a rookie, but I think it shows we weren't looking him to plug any hole or anything.

Now look at the players we passed on in areas most considered critical:

Offensive Line:
Chilo Rachal
Mike Pollak
Jon Greco
Jeremy Zuttah

CB
Tracy Porter
Tyrell Johnson
Pat Lee
Terrence Wheatly
Terrell Thomas

Now I don't follow other teams nearly as close as I follow the Pack, but I'm not recongnizing any of those names as having much impact. I would much rather have Jordy being impactful 3 years down the road and getting little use for his first 2 years, than to get a player who will get lots of use, but never will amount to much.

I think TT doesn't count on or expect rookies to make big impacts. I think he is always looking a few years down the road. In 3 years we could lose Jennings and nelson to FA and lose Cobb or Jones to injury. Too much can happen in a few years.

If the scenario comes up where a WR and QB are the top two players on the board, wouldn't it be smarter to trade the pick instead of drafting the player?
Something we can agree on!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would much rather get extra draft picks instead of drafting WR Malcom Flyod or QB Ryan Tanehill.
Finley, Sitton, Flynn, Bishop, Crosby, Jennings, Collins, etc. all played much better than their draft position may indicate. TT doesn't need to use a 1st to find an impact player. I agree with you, trading down isn't such a bad thing.

Members online

Latest posts