1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Nick Collins

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by RockyRaccoon, Sep 16, 2013.

1. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Day Tripper

Ratings:
    +67
    Has anyone heard anything new about Nick Collins' health? I assumed his career was over when the Packers released him, but just saw this on his twitter (https://twitter.com/nickdapick36/status/379429537945485312):
    Am I missing something here?

2. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +816
    If he thinks he can still play then he should have his agent call TT every day until they agree to give him another physical. My suspicion is that he's having trouble coming to grips with the nature of his injury.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Day Tripper

Ratings:
    +67
    You're probably right. But man how nice would it be to be able to bring him back in. He's only 30, and we know he has the instincts and physical tools to be an impact safety.

Probably just wishful thinking...

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    I don't think the Packers want to play any part of putting him on a football field when they know he has a neck problem and what might happen as a result.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    I love and miss Nick Collins so much, and will FOREVER be bitter at the Football God for taking this game away from him in the beginning of his prime, from a clean play, whereas head-hunting thugs like DaShon Goldson and Brandon Meriweather's necks are always just fine, even though they launch their heads like missiles.

I don't root for anyone's neck to get hurt.

But why not them instead of Collins?
    Where's the justice?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +607
    I really miss Collins! I was at the game where he got his injury. I have a photo of him a split second before it happened :cry: IMG_1556.jpg IMG_1617.jpg Screen Shot 2011-09-18 at 7.23.32 PM.png Click for a bigger view

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    I don't know the ins and outs of this kind of injury (does anyone?). But until someone DOES, I don't want to see anyone put at risk. even someone as elite as Nick.

8. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Wow great photo, but :eek:(

Now I remember why I was mad at AJ Hawk on that play..... he was nowhere in coverage, and I think he and Woodson pussied out on tackling Stewart, which allowed him to get to Collins way back there.

&$%^#^$#*&%^

9. Royal Pain

Royal Pain Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +116
    Judging by the angle of your photo's, it looks like you had some good seats. I was watching the game with my two teenage daughters in the nosebleeds, completely opposite of where this play occurred. I had to use my binoculars to determine who was injured.
    It's very sad for Nick that his career ended like this. He was on the verge of stardom and worked hard to become the player he was. I think it's no coincidence the Packers secondary has struggled since he went down with the injury.

10. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,013
    I think if he thinks he can play give him a chance. Peyton "forehead" Manning has had multiple neck injuries and is doing just fine. I know they play two different positions but still. Put Nick through a tough physical and if he passes let the guy play...at least start off on special teams. As a grown man he knows the risk.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    Not all neck injuries are the same, reguardless of position, you have to tread lightly with neck/spinal injuries. His best bet is to just become a broadcaster.

12. toolkien

toolkien Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +66
    I think the injury happened because his head was up and he was trying to tackle the modern "correct" way. If he had had his head down, not in a missile sort of way but simply the old school clean way, he probably doesn't get landed on like he did and the compression wouldn't have occurred. Simply another example of the unintended consequences of changes being made. I could buy when spearing went on the books. And when guys are launching themselves like missiles, but to make ANY helmet contact illegal, and make defensemen have to become experts in mechanical physics before they can attempt to tackle is nonsense (as well as inherently subjective and unevenly applied). In the end, if Collins had made a regular tackle from 10 years ago, and MAYBE risk a little helmet to helmet, he gets up from that play and is still playing today.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +607
    Yeah! I got lucky and was sitting 3rd row near the 50 yard line! I'm usually near the top in previous Packers-Panthers games! If you want to see more of my photos, I made a thread on it **HERE** back in 2011 almost 2 years to the day!

• Like Like x 1
  14. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,858
    They did.
    Its not something he can rehab. A physical isn't going to tell you anything different than what they already know. Nick is very susceptible to a life threatening injury.

Kudos to the Packers for not taking that responsibility. Nick is a warrior and is willing to run the risk. The fact that no other team reached out to the Probowl player tells me its an obvious situation.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Royal Pain

Royal Pain Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +116

Those are some great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

• Like Like x 1
  16. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +816
    Adult or not, sometimes people underestimate the risks when considering something that they badly want.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,013

true true....

18. PackerFanLV

PackerFanLV Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +78
    Man miss Nick Collins so much the D hasnt been close to the same as when he was playing. Gave the D so much freedom with his range and awareness.

19. 98Redbird

98Redbird Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +234
    However, I think if you knew him personally, and loved and cared about him, such as his family/friends/coaches/teammates do, you'd probably feel differently.

To us it's the Packers, we just want to watch them play and win... to others, they call these guys husband, father, son, uncle... It's different for them. It's hard to view the players in that same light, I'm glad the Packers and the 31 other NFL teams are doing that.

Sadly, I do not want to see him playing on a football field again.

20. PFanCan

PFanCan That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.

Ratings:
    +879
    His career was too short. Will never forget that pick-6 of his in the SB.