NFL Must Change OT Rules Starting Now

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It is nothing like baseball, not in the slightest. Unless of course you just want to line up each time from the 25 and each team gets 10-12 offensive possessions. No special teams and just play. and then if it's tied you end up with the same scenario we have now, how do you end it? sudden death? that's unfair :( make them play till one comes out on top, regardless of how long it takes?

Having played baseball and football, I can tell you, extra innings in baseball can not even begin to be compared to overtime in football. The energy exerted in one series dwarfs that of the energy exerted in an entire baseball game except a pitcher and none of them go the whole game so they don't even count.

Ever play basketball or hockey?

Players do and have found ways to muster up that energy and compete in overtime for the last how many years in football, so I am not sure why people keep saying that overtime is too much to ask of NFL players. I do understand the discussion of trying to limit that amount of time, while still trying to play actual football on an even playing field.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ever play basketball or hockey?

Players do and have found ways to muster up that energy and compete in overtime for the last how many years in football, so I am not sure why people keep saying that overtime is too much to ask of NFL players. I do understand the discussion of trying to limit that amount of time, while still trying to play actual football on an even playing field.
Not hockey, but basketball yes. With a break in high school because I wrestled only and picked up leagues in college again. Basketball is barely above baseball in terms of physical drain on the body. 3 games a week in basketball would be nothing. 3 in football and you'd have a completely different team from the start of the year and at the end. I honestly don't see hockey as being a lot different. A little more physically than basketball for certain, but I don't see it being football either.

I don't think overtime is too much to ask, I said I don't see any of these proposals making anything more fair, just different. As someone else said, new solutions new problems. But I do think there is a point where the game just needs to be decided. I think 4 quarters is enough and I think an opening TD only as sudden death is fine.

Offense, defense, special teams are all a part of winning a football game. I'm even ok with opening OT kickoff going for a TD and no offenses touching the ball dexiding a game.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
A very important consideration has been left out: What changes will facilitate the most amount of commercials potentially being aired on the broadcasts?

Remember though, the Networks are also concerned about pre-empting their regularly scheduled broadcast.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember though, the Networks are also concerned about pre-empting their regularly scheduled broadcast.

Yup and beyond that, commercials would not even be an issue if the FCC would start sticking cap limits on networks on how much commercial time they get per game.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Each team should get the same number of possessions in overtime. You keep sudden death since a defensive touchdown would end the game. It just blows my mind that so many people think it's okay that one team can touch the ball and the other c. It would be like the away team in baseball hitting a home run in the top of the tenth and the game being over, no baseball fan in their right mind would consider that fair. It isn't fair in football either.

You can't have sudden death and the same number of possessions. Sudden death means the first to score wins right? If its sudden death and the first team scores the game is over no equal possession for the second team. You can't have both. Yes sometimes it happens but only if the second team to get the ball scores the first points of OT (each team had 1 chance) . If neither team scores on their first and the first team scores on their second again, game over no same number of possessions.

I still think the best is each team gets at least 1 offensive possession if they need it. Both team's offenses had a chance and and to make it more of an entire team game both teams defenses had a chance now the first to score wins. If the first team throws a pick six on the first play game over because their offense had a chance and couldn't get it done. In that case the second teams offense doesn't get a chance but it would be like a run scored in the bottom of the ninth in a tie game. They don't need any more.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can't have sudden death and the same number of possessions. Sudden death means the first to score wins right? If its sudden death and the first team scores the game is over no equal possession for the second team. You can't have both. Yes sometimes it happens but only if the second team to get the ball scores the first points of OT (each team had 1 chance) . If neither team scores on their first and the first team scores on their second again, game over no same number of possessions.

I still think the best is each team gets at least 1 offensive possession if they need it. Both team's offenses had a chance and and to make it more of an entire team game both teams defenses had a chance now the first to score wins. If the first team throws a pick six on the first play game over because their offense had a chance and couldn't get it done. In that case the second teams offense doesn't get a chance but it would be like a run scored in the bottom of the ninth in a tie game. They don't need any more.

This I think is more what the original idea was, though as I said I am open to having more of a regular quarter proceeding for OT as pokerbrat suggested.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bob Costas just brought this up again and prognosticated a coin toss elimination. I say yes, have something that makes a teAm have to earn it vs running it on the whim of a visiting team's guess

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Bob Costas just brought this up again and prognosticated a coin toss elimination. I say yes, have something that makes a teAm have to earn it vs running it on the whim of a visiting team's guess

But but but.....if they guess correctly.....didn't they "earn" it? ;)

Oh gawd......I don't want to debate this topic again.......

I am in full agreement....do away with the coin toss and cut cards. :D

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It sounds like the XFL scramble for the football is back!

Seriously, I liked that solution a lot but quite a few players got hurt that way. Maybe they should start it off like Festivus, with the airing of grievances, feats of strength, and then leg wrestling. The winning team gets to receive or defer. ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Seriously, I liked that solution a lot but quite a few players got hurt that way. Maybe they should start it off like Festivus, with the airing of grievances, feats of strength, and then leg wrestling. The winning team gets to receive or defer. ;)

Sadly, some people don't believe in Festivus. :(

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

There should be a scramble for the football or a referee based onside kick. A cointoss is just a dumb way to run overtime, just so dumb.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I still don't understand why the "5th quarter" has to be treated like "the restart" of the game or the start of the second half. To get more commercials in? Treat it like the start of the 2nd and 4th quarters.......flip the fields and just keep playing until you have a winner or in the case of regular season, until an allotted amount of time is done. Why shouldn't the team that possesses the ball at the end of the 4th quarter not be able to continue with whatever advantage they may have established at that point of the game?

If a team makes a last second score at the end of regulation to tie it up with no time on the clock, shouldn't they have to kick off to start the 5th quarter?

IMO, this won't dramatically alter the way teams play the end of the 4th quarter in a tie game. Oh sure, they may not try to toss up a hail mary or kick a 60+ yard field goal to break the tie, but you will get that scenario back if the OT game looks like it may end in a tie.

Oh hell....I said I was done "debating" this topic yesterday......I guess I am in OT on it now. :coffee:

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm all in favor of eliminating the coin toss to start overtime as well but unfortunately not a single proposed rule change has been perfect by any means.

I still don't understand why the "5th quarter" has to be treated like "the restart" of the game or the start of the second half. To get more commercials in? Treat it like the start of the 2nd and 4th quarters.......flip the fields and just keep playing until you have a winner or in the case of regular season, until an allotted amount of time is done. Why shouldn't the team that possesses the ball at the end of the 4th quarter not be able to continue with whatever advantage they may have established at that point of the game?

If a team makes a last second score at the end of regulation to tie it up with no time on the clock, shouldn't they have to kick off to start the 5th quarter?

IMO, this won't dramatically alter the way teams play the end of the 4th quarter in a tie game. Oh sure, they may not try to toss up a hail mary or kick a 60+ yard field goal to break the tie, but you will get that scenario back if the OT game looks like it may end in a tie.

Several posters brought up some valid points against your suggestion on how to fix overtime in the past. I agree there's no reason to discuss about it in-depth once again though.

Members online

Latest posts