NFL Championships, are they equal?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I stumbled across a Steelers thread that a packers fan started where he mentioned the packers have 12 championships, while the steelers have 6. Steelers fans for the most part disagreed. Comments like this ensued:
Originally Posted by Cannonball Butler
Technically, the leagues didn't merge until 1970. In 66 and 67, the Packers won both the NFL and World Championships(it wasn't called the Super Bowl yet). The Steeler's,Browns, and Colts joined the AFC and interleague play began in 1970.

That means, under the current format, the Steeler's have won 6 Super Bowls and the Packers 1.

jjpro11:
as for the NFL Championships, i'll gladly trade 9 of those in for the 4 Super Bowls we won with cast of players from the 70s. the Championships are nice, but during this time of the year, it's the teams from the 70s who are always remembered and honored.

What do you guys think?

Here is the link for those interested
NFL Titles: Green Bay 12, Pittsburgh 6 - Page 3 - Steelers Fever Forums

CheddarMelt

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I live in Pittsburgh, and I hear revisionist history like this ALL THE TIME. Boils down to Sour Grapes. The only way they CAN feel superior to the Pack is to only include the Super Bowl wins.

That attitude isn't specific to football, either. It's a Yinzer thing. People around here consider a trip to the other side of town as a major excursion, possibly needing an overnight stay.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Steelers have a great tradition and great fans. I would love for the Packers to have 3 more Superbowls under their belt to match the Steeler total. But 8 championships is also a great accomplishment. Can we help that the league was smaller back then? Perhaps only 1 Steeler SB counts because only now are we at 32 teams. Hey, it was easier when there were only 31 teams. Right?

Claymaker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously the guy is a complete idiot, Cannonball Butthurt I mean. The Steelers are an original NFL team. They have been around since 1933. They were a complete disaster the first 40 years of their existence.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
just another reason why I am not a Steelers fan...disregard for our franchises accomplishments and moments of greatness...have a sense of history...WAR IS WAR...CHAMPIONSHIPS ARE CHAMPIONSHIPS...HOFers are HOFers...FACTS ARE FACTS! WE ARE THE MOST DECORATED in history, but the close minded don't respect that

DanMac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh fans do realize that they started in the Old NFL in 1933 don't they?? (Not the new AFL that was formed in the 60's) ---

So, why didn't Pittsburgh stop Green bay from getting the Championships from 1933 until 1970?? -- Green Bay has 12 Championships PERIOD. A better way of wording it may be -- Green Bay has received the Top Football Prize 12 Times, no matter how the definition of such - has changes over the past 90 years.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I don't think the NFL wants to make them equal because then they have a bunch of issues that will arise for example, teams went by winning percentage and not actual who won the most games, ties meant nothing. The Pottsville Maroons issue. I see them as equal. Steelers just want to puff up their chest more.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By the end of the Rodgers era, the team that has won the most SB championships will change.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets worry about this one and then after that remember that no one from the NFC has been back to the SB in over 10 years.

Zeck180

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Facts are facts the Packers are(for now) 12 Time World Champions, people from other countries will disagree with that ((Most)Europeans and Canadians they'll disagree strongly). Saying that they haven't played teams from other countries, well I wonder why even the worst team in the NFL (Carolina Panthers) would look amazing against the best of Europe, S. America, Asia....

"I've watched one game highlight from the UK's BritBowl and OMG! It looked like a high school game.

Members online

Latest posts