NFL brass say he deserves time

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By ROB REISCHEL
Special to the Journal Sentinel
Posted: Feb. 21, 2008

Indianapolis - Brett Favre's annual retirement decision is in full swing . . . again. And to Green Bay Packers fans everywhere, it has become a relatively annoying rite of winter.

Favre, who's in his sixth year of playing the "will he or won't he" game, has kept the Packers wondering about his future for 33 days since the season ended on Jan. 20.

During the National Football League scouting combine Thursday, many of the league's powers-that-be were asked their opinions about Favre's yearly dance. The general feeling was that the 38-year-old, three-time most valuable player had earned the right to take his sweet time.

"Veteran guys, especially guys like Brett, they've earned the right to take some time and make a decision about what they want to do," New York Giants general manager Jerry Reese said. "That's just my opinion"

Mike Martz, the offensive coordinator in San Francisco, agreed.

"I'd tell him take whatever time he wants and I'll see you in the fall," Martz said. "And if you want me to go fishing with you, I'd be happy to join you. That's what I'd tell Brett."

Coming off a season in which Favre finished second in the MVP voting, most figured it was a foregone conclusion he'd return.

But Favre's season ended with a thud when his overtime interception helped the Giants defeat the Packers in the NFC Championship Game. And a WISN-TV report earlier this week said Favre - according to a source - was unhappy that Packers general manager Ted Thompson hadn't called to ask him back.

"I think he knows how the organization feels about him," Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. "I just think he's earned the right to take his time and decide what's best. Everybody has to decide what's in their best interests. He has a lot of factors to weigh, and when he feels comfortable I'm sure he'll let us know."

Favre has left fans wondering about his future each off-season dating to 2002, after the Packers lost in the playoffs to Atlanta. The longest Favre ever took to decide was in 2006, when he waited until late April to say he was returning. Last off-season, Favre announced on Groundhog Day - Feb. 2 - that he'd be coming back.

Favre had indicated near the end of the season that his decision would be quicker this time but that hasn't been the case. Free agency begins next Friday and it's unclear whether Favre will have made up his mind by then.

Most of the NFL's brass, though, insist that Favre's uncertainty isn't a big deal, even if fans think otherwise.

"Here's what I would really feel bad about - and Barry Sanders did this to Bobby Ross two days before training camp (in Detroit) - if he just left and you didn't even have any idea," Redskins coach Jim Zorn said. "So at least you've got a guy saying he needs some time. You can honor that.

"When Barry did it, two days before training camp, he never gave an indication or said, 'I need some time. Can you work with me on this?' That left the whole team in trouble. I mean, how are you going to get a player then?"

The Giants' Reese went through the same thing last year with defensive end Michael Strahan. And Pittsburgh's director of football operations, Kevin Colbert, went through it late during the career of running back Jerome Bettis, a player who then exited after a Super Bowl championship.

One thing that everyone across the league thinks is that if Favre returns, he still will be extremely dangerous.

"I don't think anybody could have predicted how well he'd do (in 2007), especially after some of the turmoil he had, especially in '05," said Zorn, who was Seattle's quarterbacks coach from 2001-'07. "Something happened with how he disciplined himself to not take as many risks. They got some players around him but he made some great decisions, as well."

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thanks for the article heather (as always!). do you guys feel like the fans are getting "relatively annoying"? i don't. nobody on this site is complaining about it. none of my Packer buddies are complaining. My mom and brother aren't complaining. not even my dad is complaining about it, and he's the most objectively critical Favre fan i know. Seems like more media hype than anything.

it reminds me of the movie "Anchorman", when Brian Fantana goes to the San Diego zoo on Panda Watch!, trying to drum up some excitement over a story that is in no way exciting.

vechenzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree to the fact that he has earned it, but for the 6th year in a row, it almost seems like hes taking advantage of the fact that he can take his time. He just kinda seems like a drama queen in the offseason. No offense to they guy i love him to death, and will want him to come back till he is 80, it just seems like 6 years in a row doing this it kinda gets old.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i don't see why people think he's being a drama queen. it's pretty much the opposite of that. the guy falls off the map once the season is over. you want a drama queen? google chad johnson. or ocho cinco.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think he's being a drama queen. It's a big decision to make. But not making it by the time FA begins alters negotiations.

Veteran offensive players want to know who will be throwing them the ball before they consider signing the dotted line, and if Favre hasn't decided, and teams like the Skins\Vikings are throwing a lot of money at them(instead of promising them talent and wins) they usually go that route.

If you were a Randy Moss type, would you sign with GB not knowing who the QB is? While I like A-Rod and think he will do well, I definitely understand players not having a lot of faith in him, especially over Favre.

Oh btw, Thompson cut Bubba Franks, Favre's favorite tight end! He's running Favre outta town! RABBLE!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rabble rabble!!!! :D
In the past i got a little annoyed by it, but not anymore. Each time he is closer to leaving, and that saddens me. Of course i would like to know now, but i guess i'm more patient now.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good article, Heather.

I think he's earned it too.

I can't get used to seeing Jim Zorn as coach for the Skins though. It just looks weird, like a misprint..

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This whole thing is mostly media hype.
Fans are people, some have patience, some are impatient and express what they feel.
Personally I'm fine with whatever he decides whenever Brett makes his decision.
I feel we are in good shape at the starting QB position either way.

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL
The 6 years thing is a little bit exaggerated. In 2002, he said two days after the game at Lambeau that he'd come back and play. After the 2003 season, it wasn't a question, he was just depressed because of the outcome. The waiting really started in 2005 (following 2004 season) after being defeated by the Viqueens in the playoffs. He took his time and thought until March the Wednesday before Fan Fest. Then, we all know, the real drama became clear in 2006. I think they're going a little overboard saying 6 years is all I'm trying to say

But, anyways, this year has been different. In years past, I've be waiting on edge for his decision, tapping my foot, watching the clock tick away, it was painful at times. Not now. Not one tick tock feeling, not this high anticipation I'm so used to. After the season we just had, it's almost his obligation to take some time and think, he just finished out a remarkable year, but ended it in a painful fashion. Take your time Brett, I just hope that the time doesn't make you rethink staying on the roster

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack&BrettCrazed4 said:
The 6 years thing is a little bit exaggerated. In 2002, he said two days after the game at Lambeau that he'd come back and play. After the 2003 season, it wasn't a question, he was just depressed because of the outcome. The waiting really started in 2005 (following 2004 season) after being defeated by the Viqueens in the playoffs. He took his time and thought until March the Wednesday before Fan Fest. Then, we all know, the real drama became clear in 2006. I think they're going a little overboard saying 6 years is all I'm trying to say

But, anyways, this year has been different. In years past, I've be waiting on edge for his decision, tapping my foot, watching the clock tick away, it was painful at times. Not now. Not one tick tock feeling, not this high anticipation I'm so used to. After the season we just had, it's almost his obligation to take some time and think, he just finished out a remarkable year, but ended it in a painful fashion. Take your time Brett, I just hope that the time doesn't make you rethink staying on the roster

That's what I thought. I didn't think it was 6 years. I remember '05 the first time he seriously considered retirement (and had us worried).

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL
Pack&BrettCrazed4 said:

That's what I thought. I didn't think it was 6 years. I remember '05 the first time he seriously considered retirement (and had us worried).

Think they just want a little more cushion in their story

Yeah, that was a scary year

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Brett will definitely get paid well next year if he comes back. He's entering the 8th year of the 10 year contract he signed in 2001, and is due to make a 12 million dollar base salary in '08.

12,000,000/17 paychecks = $705,882.35 per week

705,882.35/30 passes per game average = 23,529.41 per pass

So Brett will roughly make $25K everytime he throws the football next year. Hell, one of his weekly checks will probably be more than half the roster will make next year as a base salary. Although, this is all before taxes and what not, but still, that's a lot of money!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, Brett will definitely get paid well next year if he comes back. He's entering the 8th year of the 10 year contract he signed in 2001, and is due to make a 12 million dollar base salary in '08.

So Brett will roughly make $25K everytime he throws the football next year. Hell, one of his weekly checks will probably be more than half the roster will make next year as a base salary. Although, this is all before taxes and what not, but still, that's a lot of money!

Can telll you right now that is the LAST thing that he thinks about

OP
OP
H

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RainX said:

I think your right LT, I have talked to many Packer fans living here in CA, all they say is "he will be back because of the money he will make". IMO it has NOTHING to do with the money, he isnt this type of person, he will be back because he can help his team win, hes competitive and the man just loves to play football. Also this year he had a good taste of almost making it to the Superbowl. I hope he comes back, but if he doesnt, he has good reasons not to and I will support that as well. He has given us Packer fans so many years of joy and excitement. It will be very sad when he does retire especially if its this year, because the way I look at it is he has still another how many more great years to play, he has proven it this past season.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
RainX said:

I think your right LT, I have talked to many Packer fans living here in CA, all they say is "he will be back because of the money he will make". IMO it has NOTHING to do with the money, he isnt this type of person, he will be back because he can help his team win, hes competitive and the man just loves to play football. Also this year he had a good taste of almost making it to the Superbowl. I hope he comes back, but if he doesnt, he has good reasons not to and I will support that as well. He has given us Packer fans so many years of joy and excitement. It will be very sad when he does retire especially if its this year, because the way I look at it is he has still another how many more great years to play, he has proven it this past season.

if it was all about the money then he wouldnt have turned down a six figure deal for his autograph