NFC Power Rankings

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lot of media (and Rodell) falling in love with the big offseason winners. But, let's step back here and take a real look at things. We did that, offering our own "objective" rankings and they are a bit different than most in that Seattle is not in the top-2 and the Vikes are not quite as high as some may think: http://wp.me/p29VCs-i9

NFC North:
2. Packers
8. Bears
9. Vikings
12. Lions

What I found most amazing is that most focus exclusively on the additions, while not accounting for the subtractions. For instance, Seattle got Avril and Bennett in free agency, therefore they must be better! But, no one talks about the fact that Chris Clemmons is injured and he's better than both. So those two are short-term replacements that probably won't duplicate what they got from Clemmons last year. Therefore, they didn't actually get better. Plus, let's be honest for a second, did any of us really fear Avril? He was a "big" name only because the DE market was weak.

So what do you think? Which are right, which are wrong?

H

HardRightEdge

Lot of media (and Rodell) falling in love with the big offseason winners. But, let's step back here and take a real look at things. We did that, offering our own "objective" rankings and they are a bit different than most in that Seattle is not in the top-2 and the Vikes are not quite as high as some may think: http://wp.me/p29VCs-i9

NFC North:
2. Packers
8. Bears
9. Vikings
12. Lions

What I found most amazing is that most focus exclusively on the additions, while not accounting for the subtractions. For instance, Seattle got Avril and Bennett in free agency, therefore they must be better! But, no one talks about the fact that Chris Clemmons is injured and he's better than both. So those two are short-term replacements that probably won't duplicate what they got from Clemmons last year. Therefore, they didn't actually get better. Plus, let's be honest for a second, did any of us really fear Avril? He was a "big" name only because the DE market was weak.

Seattle also added Percy Harvin. They also upgraded with Antoine Winfield (old but still productive) while letting often injured Marcus Trufant depart in free agency. Seattle probably gets bonus points in these kinds of rankings because of their strong drafts under Carroll/Schneider.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

NFC North:
2. Packers
8. Bears
9. Vikings
12. Lions

No comment.

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And Clemmons is expected back within the first few weeks of the season for Seattle.

I tried looking that up and didn't see anything suggesting that. Where did you pull that from? He tore his ACL in January. Even an early return likely means he's on the PUP list to start the season. And even if reports are he's progressing fast, it's May, so who really knows at this point. Typical ACL injuries - outside of superfreak AP - take more than 7-8 months to get back up to speed. And if he comes back too soon, you have to wonder how effective he'll be - you always hear how it takes a while for guys to trust their knee upon return. Long story short, I think a safe bet is Clemmons will not offer much until mid-season at best.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I tried looking that up and didn't see anything suggesting that. Where did you pull that from? He tore his ACL in January. Even an early return likely means he's on the PUP list to start the season. And even if reports are he's progressing fast, it's May, so who really knows at this point. Typical ACL injuries - outside of superfreak AP - take more than 7-8 months to get back up to speed. And if he comes back too soon, you have to wonder how effective he'll be - you always hear how it takes a while for guys to trust their knee upon return. Long story short, I think a safe bet is Clemmons will not offer much until mid-season at best.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/4/29/4282744/chris-clemons-injury-seahawks-uncertain-season-opener

Members online

Latest posts