NFC North Draft Review

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s really important. Maybe this years draft was an exception. Detroit felt like it needed a RB1 and there really wasn’t a big selection in that top #75 area (an area that you can generally get a Starter capable RB)

I still don’t understand why teams like the Lions don’t use a slight trade back though. Maybe they truly see themselves as a few weapons away from being great idk. My more general point with them is they should’ve fixed their Defense first. It’s just my opinion, but they could’ve at least traded back into that later teens /early 20’s area and recouped a 2nd Rounder. If Gibbs is there take him. Then use that 2nd Round collateral to help fix the horrendous Detroit Run Defense. You get Gibbs at #20 overall area and then use that acquired 2nd Rounder and package both 2nds in a hard move up to get Brian Bresee etc. 60%. What’s more perplexing for me than drafting at RB isnr as much about Gibbs as it it is this. Drafting Gibbs doesn’t do you nearly as much good if it means your opponent gashes you right back for 5+ per carry all year.
If the Lions NEEDED a RB1 so badly why did they trade out of #5? Should've taken Bijan & used #45 on LaPorta. smh, a lot of questionable Lions moves, IMHO. I agree with above that they should've re-signed Jamaal Williams to pair with Montgomery & used their draft capital elsewhere.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm interested in where Lucas Van Ness might have been drafted if we did not take him at 13. I'm happy with him and am looking forward to watching him play, but I imagine some of the other D linemen/pass rushers might have been taken before him by other teams. And of course other players at other positions.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm interested in where Lucas Van Ness might have been drafted if we did not take him at 13. I'm happy with him and am looking forward to watching him play, but I imagine some of the other D linemen/pass rushers might have been taken before him by other teams. And of course other players at other positions.
Hard to say, but the NYJets took an edge (McDonald) @15, Murphy went @28, and N. Smith @30. Also guessing that other teams may have had Edge on their mind (IF Van Ness was available) and stuck to their board?

Not sad about LVN pick, but absolutely wouldn't have minded getting CB Gonzalez, WR JSN, or DT Bresee instead at 13 or via a trade back.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So contacts I have (which fail in comparison to many for sure) stated he was not getting past both the Jets and the Patriots.

I've seen many a story confirming such as well.

Reaction score
Last season the Vikings ranked 20th in defense against the run, that was the best in the NFCN. Packers were 26th and bears 31st.

That's six games for the Lions. I suppose that may have played a role in their decision process.
Yeah there’s always a new Adam Theilen or Dalvin Cook or Jefferson weapon coming into the NFC North that hurts us. Although I do believe our Defense will be a little better against the Run, just my gut. I never was a big fan of Lowry in the Run game. I think we got a nice upgrade in Van Ness. Also Walker going into his 2nd season and I suspect Campbell has a moderate bounce back, hopefully Rashan gets back sooner than later.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts