Next year thoughts ??? Lol

SUGAMAN44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I was thinking about what should be done next year to have a come back year and to be a dominating team again.

We should let go of Matthews. Perry. Cobb. Bulaga. Maybe even Jimmy. 10 million seems like too much. And never breaks away. Might clear up about 50 mil.

Free agency. Hope we get aggressive . There are couple guys like matheu or Earl Thomas. More pressure on pass rushers. Maybe go after clowny. Who else would be available ?

Let go of mcarthy . Change for the good. He is too comfortable as a head coach now. Maybe find a guy that teammates lone to play hard for like Rams coach. Don't think we should go after new England's assistant.

Draft oline and pass rushers.

We should be golden after? Lol

Reaction score
Your list says a lot about this losing season
At this point it (like always) is easier to have a fire sale then choosing replacements.
This is were the NFL football geniuses shine.
I hope we have some in GB
I glad you didn't choose to replace our million $$$$$ QB, or should we????

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is WAY too early to think about next season, especially when there is plenty football to be played. Let's focus on there here and now and worry about everything else once the dominoes fall into place.

H

HardRightEdge

It is WAY too early to think about next season, especially when there is plenty football to be played. Let's focus on there here and now and worry about everything else once the dominoes fall into place.
Right. There are vets fighting for their jobs and young guys with some games left to prove up.

OP
OP
S

SUGAMAN44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nah. This season is over. Too much inconsistancy. Frustrating to watch every single week. I will continue to watch and support. But that fire isn't there.

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Landon Collins should be the number one target in free agency. Draft an OLB.

Please no Josh McDaniels....

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nah. This season is over. Too much inconsistancy. Frustrating to watch every single week. I will continue to watch and support. But that fire isn't there.
Same with the 2013 season when Rodgers went down and we squeaked in at the last moment. Or how about the 2010 season? There are WAY too many variables just to throw in the towel. I'm sorry you feel that way and I certainly understand why, but I ain't ready to call it quits just yet.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, but we're fans. It's way too early for the Packers to be thinking about these things, but what we think about and ponder has no bearing on anything.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have the NFC East, AFC West, one NFC South team and one NFC West team. The two unknown teams should match our position in division.

Reaction score
As far as this season, last Thursday night I heard a fat lady sing.

Yes there is a lot of football to be played yet and a lot of young players playing for their future,
but is not enough to win games a s a team,

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also way too early to be looking at next year's schedule.
lol

Next year thoughts ?

if Clay will take less money, move inside, and participate in the bike ride (btw, Rodgers should be MADE to do that also), he'd be ok for a couple more years. they need to get three or more of the following: RG, RT, legit pass rusher, safety, and younger TE, in free agency. they need to have another successful draft...a corner, edge, o-line.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol

if Clay will take less money, move inside, and participate in the bike ride (btw, Rodgers should be MADE to do that also), he'd be ok for a couple more years. they need to get three or more of the following: RG, RT, legit pass rusher, safety, and younger TE, in free agency. they need to have another successful draft...a corner, edge, o-line.
What's lol? Do you think all 13 of our opponents next year will neither improve nor regress? That their drafts and involvment in free agency will mean absolutely nothing? That potential coaching changes won't make a difference? I thought it was common knowledge that preseason SOS means absolutely nothing because it never winds up the same after the season.

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I believe he will get the tag...from giants, but he would put our D on another level no doubt. and McDaniels can stay in New England.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree. Packers should push hard for Collins. However, if an OLB is drafted, he better be a pass rusher; otherwise those 1st rounders should probably go towards the O-Line, specifically guards and RT.

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
I’d like to see us find a playmaker in the FA on defense, shore up some weak spots on OLine, find some new offensive coaches, and have a good draft

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’d like to see us find a playmaker in the FA on defense, shore up some weak spots on OLine, find some new offensive coaches, and have a good draft
i think your on track....might not be collins, giants would be nuts. but we will have cap space. i wonder if cory madison could come back and help at guard. i think the guard position is giving Rodgers 75% of his happy feet.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I was thinking about what should be done next year to have a come back year and to be a dominating team again.

We should let go of Matthews. Perry. Cobb. Bulaga. Maybe even Jimmy. 10 million seems like too much. And never breaks away. Might clear up about 50 mil.

Free agency. Hope we get aggressive . There are couple guys like matheu or Earl Thomas. More pressure on pass rushers. Maybe go after clowny. Who else would be available ?

Let go of mcarthy . Change for the good. He is too comfortable as a head coach now. Maybe find a guy that teammates lone to play hard for like Rams coach. Don't think we should go after new England's assistant.

Draft oline and pass rushers.

We should be golden after? Lol

First off, I think this will be the last year for Mike McCarthy. He's a good coach, but maybe his message and tactics have worn thin among the veterans. He has also failed to adapt to the rapid changes, trending with offensives the last couple years. Its ok to have an identity, but not to the detriment of player development (Aaron Jones), and logic (Seattle game). A new coach is needed. He also must be offensive minded.

Never wanted to re-sign Perry, but its probably hard to move him and out of the question to cut him. The others on your list can go. I like what I see from the young players on defense, especially Martinez, Alexander, and Fackrell. I like Raven Greene, but he's well...a little green. Hopefully he will develop.

I definitely agree that going after O-Line and pass rushers should be a top priority. GB should also go after depth for the D-Line. Mike Daniels is a getting a little older.

With the cap space now open with the departure of the players you named sans Perry, I would heavily target FS Landon Collins and make a run at a good SS with potential like Eric Reid or Kemal Ismael. GB needs tone setters on the back end and those players definitively fit the mold

Based on your assessment and taking away Perry, GB could have 30-35M left after possibly signing Collins and Thomas or Ishmael to a team friendly deal.

Next, go get a RT that is a natural RT. No more games. I suggest a young veteran 27-30 years old. Jordan Mills from Buffalo might be a good fit.

Also, consider getting a competent backup QB. Tyrod Taylor would be perfect. Shouldn't cost a lot.

Then? Go get a disruptive DE. Fowler will be available and affordable. He'll be 26 next season. Why not get him and another DE like Aaron Lynch or Mario Edwards. We can get two DEs and still retain Wilkerson after early injury dissipated his market value.

Last, better draft the right players. With two 1st rounders and multiple middle round picks, GB has options and options are always good.

D

Deleted member 6794

Assuming the cap increases to $190 million for next season the Packers would currently have close to $47.5 million of cap space according to Over The Cap.

The moves you suggested would add another $15.6 million to it.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup.
Yogi Berra was wrong.
It's over before it's over.
We suck.
A losing season.
Time to start looking to next year.

Members online

Latest posts