My predictions for the NFC-N

mossdog427

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and away we go...

PACKERS====================

Chi @ GB - W This should be a close game, but I see cutler choking it up.

Cincy @ GB-W (the game I'll be attending) I think this is a win. that team has improved more than people give them credit but plamer will still be getting his swagger back

GB @ STL-W I shouldn't have to justify this one... this team will be in the bottom 5 guaranteed

GB @ MINN-W We should have swept them last year. now we get to make up for it.

DET @ GB-W They finished 0-16. they'll do VERY well to get 5 wins.

GB @ CLE-W The browns just aren't a good team. Also expect some laziness from that big NT Rogers this year. (wants to be traded)

MIN @ GB-W (reference you to week 4's comment)

GB @ TB-W Why in the hell would they let Garcia go?

Dal @ GB-L Still a little early from them to do the patented december retard dance. We lose by a respectable margin.

SF @ GB-W This team is proud to get to claim the best D in the NFC-W... I'll let that sink in for a sec...

GB @ Det-W The lions always put of a fight on turkey day, but oh well.

BAL @ GB-L This a physical team that last year mostly lost by small margins but won pretty convincingly.

GB @ Chi-L It's too much to expect to sweep the bears while in soldier field.

GB @ Pitt-L Um... yea no way.

Sea @ GB-W That team is going to have to start from the ground up pretty soon.

GB @ Ari-L Traveling across the country to a dome and playing the once removed NFC champs doesn't bode well.

11-5

BEARS====================

Chi @ GB-L Take that Lovie...

Pitt @ Chi-L The steelers sweep the north I think...

Chi @ Sea-W Poor Hasslebeck... (I like that guy)

DET @ Chi-W Seeing a pattern?

Chi @ ATL-L This team has changed a lot in a little bit of time. Should be entertaining.

Chi @ Cincy-W Cincy has a dominate home presence... no... wait... they don't

Cle @ Chi-W Maybe this will teach them to horde QB's.

Ari @ Chi-W Arizona's road game is crap.

Chi @ SF-W I'm losing interest in typing these comments...

Phi @ Chi- L

Chi @ Minn-L

Stl @ Chi-W

GB @ Chi-W

Chi @ Bal-L

Minn @ Chi-W

Chi @ Det-W

10-6

VIKINGS====================

Minn @ Cle-W

Minn @ Det-L That's right... the vikings give the lions their only division win.

SF @ Minn-W

GB @ Minn-L

Minn @ Stl-W

Bal @ Minn-L

Minn @ Pitt-L

Minn @ GB-L

Det @ Minn-W

Sea @ Minn-W

Chi @ Minn-W

Minn @ Ari-L

Cin @ Min-W

Minn @ Car-L

Minn @ Chi-L

NYG @ Minn-L (assuming they use starters this time)

7-9

LIONS====================

Det @ NO-L

Minn @ Det-W

Was @ Det-L

Det @ Chi-L

Pitt @ Det-L

Det @ GB-L

Stl @ Det-W

Det @ Sea-W

Det @ Minn-L

Cle @ Det-W

GB @ Det-L

Det @ Cincy-L

Det @ Bal-L

Ari @ Det-L

Det @ SF-W

Chi @ Det-L

5-11

The vikings overachieved like crazy last year and if the bears expect cutler to perform like he did with the broncos (which wasn't as great as people think w/ 16th over all offense) then they are kidding themselves.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the 11-5 is possible but somthing about starting 8-0 seems far fetched, I'm think one loss somewhere before Dallas and possibly going 10-6. I tihnk the Vikings will be better than the bears for some reason.

OP
OP
M

mossdog427

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the 11-5 is possible but somthing about starting 8-0 seems far fetched, I'm think one loss somewhere before Dallas and possibly going 10-6. I tihnk the Vikings will be better than the bears for some reason.

well the first half of the season and last half are way off balance...

it doesn't matter when those games happened (except for the cowboys) it would be the same wins and losses.

the vikings I'm very unimpressed with. except for the lions the vikings have the most gaping holes in the division.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think they have the most gaping holes. I think that they have the most important one (qb), but not the most. Their safeties aren't great, the only have winfield, and they only have speedy wr, that can't catch the ball, and their lb aren't great. But real roles are qb, 1S, 1Cb and Wr. The bears don't have pass rushers, only have Tommie Harris, don't have great safeties, don't have anything at wr, and their OL sucks. I see the queens better than the bears, but I think we're better than them, specially if we can manage to get a functional RT and DE opposite Jenkins.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bears dont impress me, I dont think Cutler is the quarterback Bear fans think he is. Forte doesn't seem like a great runningback to me, their OL isn't the best and their Defense is getting old.

OP
OP
M

mossdog427

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think they have the most gaping holes. I think that they have the most important one (qb), but not the most. Their safeties aren't great, the only have winfield, and they only have speedy wr, that can't catch the ball, and their lb aren't great. But real roles are qb, 1S, 1Cb and Wr. The bears don't have pass rushers, only have Tommie Harris, don't have great safeties, don't have anything at wr, and their OL sucks. I see the queens better than the bears, but I think we're better than them, specially if we can manage to get a functional RT and DE opposite Jenkins.

a o-line that let up what? 45 sacks?, a special teams that's in competition for the worst in NFL history, one average receiver, average linebackers, no QB, and a bad secondary.

that team has a d-line and running back. that's not to be mistaken with running game.

DonnieCash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vikings did not overachieve last year. Yeah, the won some games they shouldn't have by pure luck. Like the second game against GB and the Lions game. But They have the best running back tandem out there. And a top 5 defense. Thats all it takes. Look at the Ravens.

lambeauharrier

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bears dont impress me, I dont think Cutler is the quarterback Bear fans think he is. Forte doesn't seem like a great runningback to me, their OL isn't the best and their Defense is getting old.

i must disagree, forte is a great running back, and is going to be very successful for years to come..

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Forte was a good rookie runningback, I think he can be a decent runningback, but not great. I think Ryan Grant is a better runningback.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I laugh when I see experts putting him in top 5 category. Like cyoung said, good running back, not great. Don't know if Grant is better. Forte was only 25 yards better running the ball. They had the same average (3.9). He had more touchdowns (4 more). And he received A LOT more, but mostly because they don't have anything to throw to... I think both would compete for the starting job, but if I had to choose one, I would go with Forte.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You are just viewing this from a Packer fan perspective and sprinkeling it with green and gold dreams.
Forte had the 3rd most total yards in the NFL last season and that was with Kyle Orton at QB.
To say that adding a QB that threw for over 4,500 yards last year is not going to makes a difference is far fetched.
Do you really believe that teams are going to stack the line of scrimmage to stop Forte with Jay Cutler at QB?

You are just hoping that Cutler suddenly forgets how to play. The truth is that you are at a loss with out the old stand by of pointing a finger at the Bears QB problems now.

The Bears have one of the best TE tandems in the league and have dumped some dead weight at the WR position.

As far as the other side of the ball goes…
Their defense gave up fewer points than the Packers did while giving up the same yards per game so how is it that their D sucks while the Packers does not?
You believe that the Bears drafting two WRs will make no difference because they are rookies yet the Packers drafting two defensive players will suddenly make them dominate?

The Bears D still causes a lot of turnovers and the special teams are still one of the best in the league.
Adding Jay Cutler to a team that was 9-7 and blew 3 games last year makes them worse?
I doubt that.

I am sure that if the Bears had traded for Eddie Royal or Brandon Marshall
instead of Cutler then Packer fans would be saying "Just wait till they are being thrown to by Kyle Orton instead of Cutler.
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are just viewing this from a Packer fan perspective and sprinkeling it with green and gold dreams.
Forte had the 3rd most total yards in the NFL last season and that was with Kyle Orton at QB.
To say that adding a QB that threw for over 4,500 yards last year is not going to makes a difference is far fetched.
Do you really believe that teams are going to stack the line of scrimmage to stop Forte with Jay Cutler at QB?
You are just hoping that Cutler suddenly forgets how to play. The truth is that you are at a loss with out the old stand by of pointing a finger at the Bears QB problems now.

The Bears have one of the best TE tandems in the league and have dumped some dead weight at the WR position.
Their defense gave up fewer points than the Packers did while giving up the same yards per game so how is it that their D sucks while the Packers does not?
You believe that the Bears drafting two WRs will make no difference because they are rookies yet the Packers drafting two defensive players will suddenly make them dominate?
The Bears D still causes a lot of turnovers and the special teams are still one of the best in the league.
Adding Jay Cutler to a team that was 9-7 and blew 3 games last year makes them worse?
I doubt that.

[FONT=&quot]Green and gold glasses make everything look nice I guess.[/FONT]

Well I never said Cutler wouldn't make a difference, he is a better quarterback than Orton, I said he's not what some Bears fans think of him. I had a bears fan tell me one day that with Cutler the Bears are going to the Superbowl this year. I said I think Forte is a good runningback, hasn't really proved himself as a great runningback with one year. I never questoned the Tight End as I think Olsen is a hell of a player. The defense is still good I said there getting older, no one knows how they'll perform until the season is over.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

True, but he had just 25 yards more than Grant, who we all think is just a good, ok running back. Not a great running back.

Can happen like this, but what I see in the league is that QBs such as Cutler tend to demand more passing plays, and Forte could lose carries. COULD.

He never said Cutler wasn't a improvement, or wasn't good. Nobody is crazy enough to do that. I've said before, although you lost A LOT, you still got the better end of the deal. But Cutler is no Payton Manning. He has a monster arm, good accuracy, but tends to throw more interceptions than a run based team needs from his QB.

IMO THE best tandem. But it doesn't make them WRs. It can help in the red zone and in the play action, but unless the TE is Tony Gonzales in his prime or Antonio Gates, he won't improve your passing game significantly.

He never said your D sucked. He said it's getting old. But if your defense ranked similar to ours, well, it's not a good thing.

What involves that thought is that it's VERY rare to a rookie WR make a significant impact. For other positions it's easier. And not only that, the position they were taken indicates that they're more ready to be a pro. BUT I can see your point.

Adding Jay Cutler to a team that was 9-7 and blew 3 games last year makes them worse? I doubt that.[FONT=&quot] Green and gold glasses make everything look nice I guess.
[/FONT]
They can be worse if everybody else improved more than them. The packers were 6-10 but blew 7 games. One to the bears. I can use the same argument. Remember, we might very well be wearing Green and Gold glasses, which is only natural in preseason. But there are some Blue and Orange glasses out there to be used, too.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with both posts here.
I am not one to put on the blue and orange glasses and if the Bears look like a 6-10 team then I can admit it.
I rip them in the media here in Chicago whenever I feel that they deserve it and that is most of the time.

Can they fall to 8-8? Yes.
Can they go to the playoffs? Yes.
Can they go to the Super Bowl? Yes.
They are just as talented as the Cardinals and Eagles were last year so why not?
I am not viewing Cutler as a savoir and I am not saying that Matt Forte is the next Walter Payton either.
I just think that the combination is going to be good for the both of them.
The Broncos running game was pretty bad last season and the defense was even worse. Cutler had to carry that team on his shoulders far to often.

He won’t have to do that here.
He does not have to throw for 4,500 yards for them to win.

Teams were daring Orton to throw the ball because he was weak armed and they knew that he was not going to burn you deep. Even Rex Grossman could go deep if given enough time. It was the one thing that he could actually do well.

I can’t tell you how many times Hester was wide open and Orton could not get it there.
That left far too many players in the box just waiting for Forte to run the ball and unless you are Earl Campbell then your yards per carry is going to suffer in that situation.
Forte can get the same type of production as last year without as many carries if Cutler can keep the other team’s D honest and I believe that he will.
Just him being here changes things for the better.

They have some soft spots on the schedule but they are also the only team in the league that will have to play all 4 of the teams that went to the conference title games last year.
I am thinking that they will go 10-6 but a 9-7 season is not impossible.
Then again neither is 11-5 for that matter.
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Broncos running game was actually pretty good. 12th in the league, with 1,862 yards total and 4.8 average. While the Bears were 24th, with 1,673 yards and 3,9 average. It seems like they were bad because they used like 8 RBs. But they had an amazing line, which you guys don't.
The defense was terrible, though.
-
I think Cutler + Forte is the best Qb Rb combination in the NFC N. If Grant can rebound, then it's another story, but he has a great year and an average year. He was pretty good in yardage last, but with only 4 tds and 3.9 average, I can't say it was a great year.
But just don't expect Cutler to be the same he was in Denver. His line in there was WAY better than yours, his receiving corpse was WAY better (Marshall saved his *** A LOT of times, with him just throwing the ball high.), and contrary to common sense, their running game was very good. And just saying that they division was weak don't make up for that, cause we sucked last year at D and the Lions are the Lions. You're better team overall than the Broncos, but you'll have to make up for a poor OL, dubious Wrs, and a questionable pass rush, if you guys want to win the division.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it could be a tough year in the North, I still think the Packers are the best, but as a fan I'n biased. I think Chicago and Minnesota both could be good, I often switch on who I think would be better I think Minnesota would be slightly better though. I think detroit will be better than the previous season, but you cant do worse than 0-16.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Broncos running game was actually pretty good. 12th in the league, with 1,862 yards total and 4.8 average. While the Bears were 24th, with 1,673 yards and 3,9 average. It seems like they were bad because they used like 8 RBs. But they had an amazing line, which you guys don't.
The defense was terrible, though.
-
I think Cutler + Forte is the best Qb Rb combination in the NFC N. If Grant can rebound, then it's another story, but he has a great year and an average year. He was pretty good in yardage last, but with only 4 tds and 3.9 average, I can't say it was a great year.
But just don't expect Cutler to be the same he was in Denver. His line in there was WAY better than yours, his receiving corpse was WAY better (Marshall saved his *** A LOT of times, with him just throwing the ball high.), and contrary to common sense, their running game was very good. And just saying that they division was weak don't make up for that, cause we sucked last year at D and the Lions are the Lions. You're better team overall than the Broncos, but you'll have to make up for a poor OL, dubious Wrs, and a questionable pass rush, if you guys want to win the division.

Yeah the Bears have issues to address. Every team does.
I am not comparing Cutler behind the Bears line vs. the Broncos line.
I am looking at the Bears with Kyle Orton and Rex Grossman vs. the Bears with Jay Cutler at QB.
He does everything better than the QBs that we had here and that position has been a black hole for as long as I can remember.

Having a QB that can actually hit an open man deep, go through his check downs with out staring at the guy that he is going to throw it too and being able to side step a blitz are all things that we did not have here before.
He moves the chains while we are used to far too many 3 and outs.
They are a better team on offense because of that no matter how many yards he throws for.

If Tommie Harris is healthy (and he was not last year) then that makes a huge difference for their pass rush. They did address the D line when they drafted Jarron Gilbert so we will see.
Urlacher was also coming off of neck surgery and I would like to see if his so-so play was due to that or if the big slide has begun for him. Maybe a little of both?
There is no question that Briggs is now the best LB on the team.
I like the fact that they picked up Pisa Tinoisamoa at LB which means that Hunter Hillenmeyer is pretty much done (too many injuries)
They also had a lot of injuries in the secondary all season so that should be a big differance. They play the cover-2 and you have to have those guys back there who can make a play other wise you drop to the middle of the pack just like they did last year.
They did not get old, just banged up.

Devin Hester would have put up some nice numbers if he had a QB that could actually throw the ball more than 20 yards and now they do.
Bennett was the all time conference leader at WR when he was teamed up with Cutler at Vanderbilt so it is not like he has no talent or that he and Cutler will have a lot to get used
Juaquin Iglesias at the other WR spot is an improvement over Marty Booker who was washed up when he returned.
Their WRs did suck last year but they have improved and they have a QB that can make them that much better.
Having two very good TEs and a RB that can catch the ball can't hurt.

OP
OP
M

mossdog427

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I doubt that.

I am sure that if the Bears had traded for Eddie Royal or Brandon Marshall
instead of Cutler then Packer fans would be saying "Just wait till they are being thrown to by Kyle Orton instead of Cutler.
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

cutler also had a very good o-line and a beastly receiving corps and he still choked in the redzone. not to mention the fact that the bears barely have a receiver worth covering at all let alone single covering. having cutler will change nothing. orton sends his thanks though. you'll feel foolish when he puts up over 4,000 for a team that gave him receivers.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will be interesting two see how the quarterbacks change when there worlds are switched. I would love to see how Orton does with a better line and receivers I'm not predicting 4,000+ yards, but he should be better. I dont think Cutler will suffer too badley, he might make the Bears look better.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact is GB's offense is essentially intact from last season's very effective unit, save for a big question mark at RT - Tauscher is probably not healthy enough yet & everyone else is raw. RT is far less worrisome to replace than QB though, which is the case for 2 & maybe all 3 of GB's division rivals.

Cutler will have a learning curve to adjust to with his wideouts, as will #4 if he plays in MN. Both CHI & MN are more than capable of moving the chains effectively on the ground but teams will be able to stop them eventually unless the respective QB's can make some plays downfield. It's going to take some time in CHI & MN to gel with the new teammates & that may be all the edge GB needs to take the North in '09.

GB 10-6 (Conf. record tie-breaker over MN)

MN 10-6

CHI 9-7

DET 3-13

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My prediction for the North...

Green Bay - 10-6

Minnesota - 9-7

Chicago - 8-8

Detroit - 5-11

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cutler also had a very good o-line and a beastly receiving corps and he still choked in the redzone. not to mention the fact that the bears barely have a receiver worth covering at all let alone single covering. having cutler will change nothing. orton sends his thanks though. you'll feel foolish when he puts up over 4,000 for a team that gave him receivers.

Cutler choked in the red zone?
Really?
So who was the QB when the Broncos were putting up all those points last year?
Is this the same Kyle Orton that Packers fans made fun of for the last 4 years?
Now he is suddenly going to be great and put up 4,000 yards passing?
There were only 2 teams in the entire NFL that gave up more points than the Denver Broncos last year and now they are going to improve on their 8-8 record by trading Jay Cutler for Kyle Orton?

Yeah... ok then.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
M

mossdog427

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cutler choked in the red zone?
Really?
So who was the QB when the Broncos were putting up all those points last year?
Is this the same Kyle Orton that Packers fans made fun of for the last 4 years?
Now he is suddenly going to be great and put up 4,000 yards passing?
There were only 2 teams in the entire NFL that gave up more points than the Denver Broncos last year and now they are going to improve on their 8-8 record by trading Jay Cutler for Kyle Orton?

Yeah... ok then.:thumbsup:

cutler doesn't play defense. that's why I haven't mentioned it.

16th... the broncos had the 16th rated offense. that's with a adequate running game. that's with a strong o-line. that's with an elite receiving corps.

what about "all of those points" again? lol

Members online

Latest posts