My gut tells me that...

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have a contingency plan at corner. I can’t just imagine a team trading away their best corner and not having a plan to replace him. Not only that they didn’t even offer Davon House a contract to bring him back. Surely they aren’t going to depend on a second yr player coming off shoulder surgery (King), a couple undrafted free agents, or anither guy in Rollins who looked atrocious last season and is coming off Achilles surgery to man the corners...can’t be.
I mean even if you add a rookie in the 1st those type of situations usually mean he’s almost guaranteed to be your starter..however the secondary usually has veterans. I mean do we really know how healthy King really is? I for one know shoulder injuries can linger even after you have surgery. Is Pettine the type of guy that’ll trust a rookie, two second year guys, (Jones and King) and a guy going into his fourth season (HaHa) to man the secondary in his defense? This could be a classic TT move where they wait for cuts after the draft and pick up guys from the bottom of the scrap pile...or maybe They are waiting for cap casualty cuts like maybe a DRC from New York? Or maybe they are thinking of adding a vet like Darrelle Revis at a reasonable price tag for a yr so the youngsters get accumulated to the NFL?? I mean if we are talking about bringing 34 yr old Tramon Williams back..then we should be talking about bringing in 32 yr old Revis.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm holding out hope for a Patrick Peterson trade. Although I find it extremely unlikely that Patrick Peterson is on the Packers next season, we do have the ammunition to help them during their re-load process.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm holding out hope for a Patrick Peterson trade. Although I find it extremely unlikely that Patrick Peterson is on the Packers next season, we do have the ammunition to help them during their re-load process.
Would love this.

I'm thinking we snag DRC + Tramon, and then go DB first pick in the draft. But I agree, with Rodell in general that there IS a plan.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would love this.

I'm thinking we snag DRC + Tramon, and then go DB first pick in the draft. But I agree, with Rodell in general that there IS a plan.

Gute has already proven he's not going to be TT when it comes to adding outside talent. So, while I somewhat agree there is a plan, I'm skeptical that it vastly improves the CB situation for next season. I think we may add a couple lower level pieces like you stated here but it's going to be primarily current player stepping up and draft picks.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My gut tells me when Rodgers can’t carry the team anymore wether he leaves or retires... we will absolutely BLOW just saying...

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I keep thinking they are going to make a play for Peterson...but something else is telling me they are going to draft a corner at 14, and wait and see who gets cut around training camp. With 12 picks in This draft don’t be shocked to see GB take at least 3 corners out of those 12..with two of those being high. (1st and 3rd)

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My gut tells me when Rodgers can’t carry the team anymore wether he leaves or retires... we will absolutely BLOW just saying...

Lol that’s already an observation we ALL witnessed this past season when he couldn’t play.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol that’s already an observation we ALL witnessed this past season when he couldn’t play.
Oh yeah I know mean like we will blow for years lol we ain’t getting lucky with another HOF qb again lol

D

Deleted member 6794

I expect Gutekunst to be aggressive improving the cornerback position, him signing Fuller to an offer sheet should work as evidence for it. It would be extremely concerning entering the season with only rookies being added to the depth chart at CB.

The Packers would have to release one of their high priced players to create cap room for Peterson. In addition I don't expect the Cardinals to be interested in trading him.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I keep thinking they are going to make a play for Peterson...but something else is telling me they are going to draft a corner at 14, and wait and see who gets cut around training camp. With 12 picks in This draft don’t be shocked to see GB take at least 3 corners out of those 12..with two of those being high. (1st and 3rd)
I don’t think there is CB worthy talent at 14. I think they trade back and get a CB. Unless of course Denzel Ward falls to #14 due to a QB heavy top 10. He’s the only CB in this draft IMO worthy of a top 20 selection.

I want them to go after Peterson but find it unlike that Arizona will let them go after losing honeybadger this offseason.

I think it’s likely they get Breeland for a good deal. Pack showed interest prior to him signing with the Panthers and him failing a physical for an infected foot. It seems to me Panthers felt like they overpaid and wanted to back out. I think we can get him or EJ Gaines for a good deal at this point.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don’t think there is CB worthy talent at 14. I think they trade back and get a CB. Unless of course Denzel Ward falls to #14 due to a QB heavy top 10. He’s the only CB in this draft IMO worthy of a top 20 selection.

I want them to go after Peterson but find it unlike that Arizona will let them go after losing honeybadger this offseason.

I think it’s likely they get Breeland for a good deal. Pack showed interest prior to him signing with the Panthers and him failing a physical for an infected foot. It seems to me Panthers felt like they overpaid and wanted to back out. I think we can get him or EJ Gaines for a good deal at this point.

Breeland might present a decent option for a reasonable price late this offseason as his foot will take several months to heal according to reports.

Gaines is the cornerback remaining in free agency I would be most excited if he ended up in green and gold.

I know it's not a popular opinion around here but I would be excited if the Packers end up drafting Josh Jackson in the first round.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Breeland might present a decent option for a reasonable price late this offseason as his foot will take several months to heal according to reports.

Gaines is the cornerback remaining in free agency I would be most excited if he ended up in green and gold.

I know it's not a popular opinion around here but I would be excited if the Packers end up drafting Josh Jackson in the first round.
If you got Gaines, would you still want Jackson?

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I said in the Burnett thread, I'm starting to get a little nervous. I'm glad to see that Gute got a couple of serviceable players but we still have a lot of wholes. I don't think Gute is sitting on his hands, but I sure hope he is not banking on the remainder needs coming from the draft.

Heck, I think I would settle for Williams and House if nothing else at this point.:unsure:

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I said in the Burnett thread, I'm starting to get a little nervous. I'm glad to see that Gute got a couple of serviceable players but we still have a lot of wholes. I don't think Gute is sitting on his hands, but I sure hope he is not banking on the remainder needs coming from the draft.

Heck, I think I would settle for Williams and House if nothing else at this point.:unsure:

I’d rather have Revis and Williams. House sucks

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers would have to release one of their high priced players to create cap room for Peterson. In addition I don't expect the Cardinals to be interested in trading him.

Would they? I mean, it'd put them right up against the cap when you add in the rookies but by my math (which is sketchy at best) they could fit it in. Nevertheless, I don't think it's going to happen so this is all a moot point, just something that would make me very happy.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Revis is more than DUN, he's physically barely there and mentally checked out. WTF do people even consider him anymore for? We'd be better off calling up Herb Adderley than a chump like Revis

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have a contingency plan at corner. I can’t just imagine a team trading away their best corner and not having a plan to replace him.
No kidding. Do you really think that the Packers would make a trade like this without considering the ramifications? Do you think us casual fans posting on a website are the only ones considering the roster impacts of trading one of our starting CBs?

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No kidding. Do you really think that the Packers would make a trade like this without considering the ramifications? Do you think us casual fans posting on a website are the only ones considering the roster impacts of trading one of our starting CBs?

There's no way the Packers go into the season with Kevin King, Q, and the rest of the CB's on the roster and go with it. I suspect a couple lower level free agent signings and draft a couple. That being said, what if Pettine came in took a look at the group, watched some film and said he can make Pipkins a viable option, or Goodson, or if he came in and said Josh Jones is a better option at safety today in my scheme than Morgan Burnett.

The point is, we just don't know what's going on inside the Lambeau. I don't doubt Gute is working the phones and seeing what his options are but there is a possibility that as a group they think what they have may just be okay with an improved pass rush. It's infuriating to me as a fan because I don't know the ins and outs of how to build a defense but they do (or at least we hope).

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We know that...but that doesn’t mean the “casual fan” does...and isn’t freaking out about our corner situation.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no way the Packers go into the season with Kevin King, Q, and the rest of the CB's on the roster and go with it. I suspect a couple lower level free agent signings and draft a couple. That being said, what if Pettine came in took a look at the group, watched some film and said he can make Pipkins a viable option, or Goodson, or if he came in and said Josh Jones is a better option at safety today in my scheme than Morgan Burnett.

The point is, we just don't know what's going on inside the Lambeau. I don't doubt Gute is working the phones and seeing what his options are but there is a possibility that as a group they think what they have may just be okay with an improved pass rush. It's infuriating to me as a fan because I don't know the ins and outs of how to build a defense but they do (or at least we hope).
Well put, I agree fully. Whether right or wrong, the Packers are making moves and planning moves that will give the Packers the best chance of winning. Something else, the mid level CB depth in this draft is deep. There will be guys available at our first 5th rounder who may help as rookies.

Reaction score
Here’s a silver lining. While we all rack our nerves, the price of every unsigned CB is free-falling.
We are not the only ones freaking out, imagine being an unsigned player.

Members online

Latest posts