My (early) Packer mock draft

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
30. Green Bay Benardrick McKinney ILB Packers fill a need opposite Sam Barrington. Matthews was a temp solution at the position (Peppers-Barrington-McKinney-Matthews) is scary good!

62. Green Bay Markus Golden OLB Packers draft the heir to Julius Peppers OLB position. Unbelievable talent with untapped potential.

94. Green Bay Kevin Johnson CB Packers get an absolute steal with Johnson.. Ideal height, good tackling abilities. However, he'll need to gain some weight on his lean frame.

126. Green Bay Sean Hickey OT Depth player with potential to start early in his career

158. Green Bay Jeff Heuerman TE Jack of all trades, solid straight-line speed, great vertical and good body control

190. Green Bay Josh Robinson RB Packers get a runningback who runs similar to MJD and has great hands out of the backfield.

Projected Comp 6th) Green Bay Titus Davis WR Lacks top-end speed, has good hands and top-tier route runing.. Perfect WCO reciever. Plus TT always drafts a WR it seems, so why not here!

Projected Comp 6th) Green Bay Tevin McDonald S Shows flashes of old Packer great Nick Collins. Also a great special teams player.

222. Green Bay Darius Kilgo NT Super raw prospect who'll need a couple years to develop. Worth the risk this late in the draft.

D

Deleted member 6794

While I think projecting a seven round draft doesn´t make any sense I would like the Packers to address NT during the first two rounds. In addition I think TE is a position which has to be addressed earlier as well.

Pack12TX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
30. Green Bay Benardrick McKinney ILB Packers fill a need opposite Sam Barrington. Matthews was a temp solution at the position (Peppers-Barrington-McKinney-Matthews) is scary good!

62. Green Bay Markus Golden OLB Packers draft the heir to Julius Peppers OLB position. Unbelievable talent with untapped potential.

94. Green Bay Kevin Johnson CB Packers get an absolute steal with Johnson.. Ideal height, good tackling abilities. However, he'll need to gain some weight on his lean frame.

126. Green Bay Sean Hickey OT Depth player with potential to start early in his career

158. Green Bay Jeff Heuerman TE Jack of all trades, solid straight-line speed, great vertical and good body control

190. Green Bay Josh Robinson RB Packers get a runningback who runs similar to MJD and has great hands out of the backfield.

Projected Comp 6th) Green Bay Titus Davis WR Lacks top-end speed, has good hands and top-tier route runing.. Perfect WCO reciever. Plus TT always drafts a WR it seems, so why not here!

Projected Comp 6th) Green Bay Tevin McDonald S Shows flashes of old Packer great Nick Collins. Also a great special teams player.

222. Green Bay Darius Kilgo NT Super raw prospect who'll need a couple years to develop. Worth the risk this late in the draft.

Love the pick of McKinney at number 1. Immediate upgrade to our defense.

D

Deleted member 6794

I've read Perryman, although a thumper, is just a guy overall. Is this true?

Mike Mayock said yesterday during his conference call that Perryman is an active, quick and fast ILB. While he´s small he makes a lot of plays. Some experts have him ranked higher than McKinney.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good post. However, if the value doesn't match at #30, and TT has several ILB's on the same tier and thinks he can get one in the 2nd, I think a trade down is a good possibility this year. Plenty of QB needy teams and not many QB's to go around. I can definitely see the Jets, possibly the Eagles, maybe even the Bears, Rams, Bills, etc. looking to move back into the late 1st to take a chance on Hundley.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a very strong feeling that if he is available Maxx Williams is the 1st round pick. Perryman should be around for the entire 2nd round BUT someone will overdraft him because he lays wood. I think Maxx will help the Pack score more td's than Perryman would help them not give up.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really, really not trying to poke the bear, but since it's dead time for forums, a couple of points. Just to be clear, I am not a draftnik and pay little attention to college ball.

For when I read 'scary', 'unbelieveable', and 'absolute steal' for the first three picks, I have to wonder if these guys (first round, not so much) are going to be there for the Packers' pick. If the guys are THAT good, are they going to last?

For the McKinney pick, the scary good part of the 2015 LB corps depends on Barrington being something considerably more than serviceable (which is all I really think he was) and a rookie coming in to knock our socks off (which doesn't happen all that often). I realize every draft evaluation necessarily has to have 'weaknesses' as well as 'strengths', but what really concerned me about McKinney (aside from lack of improvement each year) is the write-up on nfl.com:

"Weaknesses
Plays high and is lacking suddenness. High center of gravity causes clunky change of direction in space. Foot quickness in tight quarters is below average and limiting. Instincts against run are there, but tends to fight his feet and marginal agility. Has trouble clearing the trash near his feet and labors against cut blocks, losing lateral momentum. Potential liability against the pass. Looks stiff when asked to cover in space and gives away too much separation to routes in his area in zone coverage."

At first glance, seems to replace AJ Hawk with AJ Hawk.

Thanks for giving us something to talk about, though. :)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I like ILB Jake Ryan out of Michigan and he could be around as late as the 4th or 5th round. Saw him play (TV) several times this year, playing in a strong conference and looks like a legit NFL'er at 6' 3" 236# with what scouts say a "high footlball IQ".....which means he may block well during an onside kick attempt :coffee:

H

HardRightEdge

Mike Mayock said yesterday during his conference call that Perryman is an active, quick and fast ILB. While he´s small he makes a lot of plays. Some experts have him ranked higher than McKinney.
I don't think there's much disagreement on Perryman in that regard. He can lay some big time hits as well.

The question I have is whether he's just a box player; the highlight reels are all about the downhill, the hits, the sideline-to-sideline, the closing speed. I was hoping to get a better idea of his coverage ability at the Senior Bowl, but he missed it with a injury. I'm sure the coverage drills at the Combine will help the Packers in the evaluation.

The second question is, "who's the best compliment to Barrington?"

Barrington played mostly weak side and as the primary coverage backer in nickel. While not bad in coverage, he does give up separation on down field coverage. His field speed looks a bit faster than his 4.8 Combine number, but not by much. Being more physical than fast, he's better suited to the strong side, and most of his coverage duties should go to a faster guy. I see Barrington as comparable to Bishop, another guy who got exposed in downfield coverage.

For now, I'm seeing Kendricks as a better fit than Perryman at the weak side. From his clips I'd characterize him as a flow player as opposed to the striker Perryman, which is what you want from the weak side, while being able stick in the hole better than his 230 lbs. would indicate. Kendricks also has quite a few of his clips showing good coverage feel, with 3 picks his senior year, in the conference with a bunch of Combine QBs. He's also projected for about a half second better 40 time than Perryman which comes in handy against backs in motion, the faster TEs, and those pesky RB wheel routes.

We'll see what the Combine reports yield, but for now Kendricks looks like the better 3-down player and Barrington compliment.

I don't care that much for McKinney. The measurables are impressive, but he looks more fast than quick. I see a guy who chops steps on the way to the play, has difficulty maneuvering through trash, and needs space to show his speed. He just strikes me as a straight line player...more like a lightweight DE.

Last edited by a moderator:

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the jsonline take on TEs: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/292227011.html
My question: Is Maxx faster than R. Rodgers? What the Packers are missing at TE IMO is one who can exploit the seams in cover two.
I believe he is quite a bit faster than Rodgers. Someone was on the radio saying he was a 4.5 guy yesterday. He is exactly the kind of TE the Pack needs. Fast, tall with great hands and runs a good route. He is not a blocker.

D

Deleted member 6794

I like ILB Jake Ryan out of Michigan and he could be around as late as the 4th or 5th round. Saw him play (TV) several times this year, playing in a strong conference and looks like a legit NFL'er at 6' 3" 236# with what scouts say a "high footlball IQ".....which means he may block well during an onside kick attempt :coffee:

I like Ryan as well, would be a good pickup on day 3 of the draft. The position has to be addressed earlier though as well.

Here's the jsonline take on TEs: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/292227011.html
My question: Is Maxx faster than R. Rodgers? What the Packers are missing at TE IMO is one who can exploit the seams in cover two.

Williams had a lot of highlight plays in college but I don't think he's faster than Rodgers.

H

HardRightEdge

We'll see what the Combine tells us, but nfldraftscout.com has Williams projected at 4.85:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=125851&draftyear=2015&genpos=TE

Rodgers averaged 4.87 at both the Combine and his Pro Day:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=119820&draftyear=2014&genpos=TE

Williams is liked for his body control. Those sideline and corner route highlights are impressive. It looks like he'll measure out a little under 6'4". I'd be concerned about the lack of speed as well as how he'd do against NFL defenders who tend to be taller and have hops.

I'd like to see what his Combine vertical looks like and whether that 4.85 number is accurate; the scouting reports seem to indicate he's faster than that and could be a seam threat.

Evidently he's not much of a blocker and needs more muscle both for blocking and for hits downfield.

When you look at the clips, though, you can't help but think "red zone threat".

I just don't think the Packers will spend a 2nd. round pick on him given the needs at ILB and D-Line, maybe cover corner, maybe OT, maybe slot receiver, and maybe edge rusher for 2016.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Williams gets a Jason Witten comparison. I liken Richard Rodgers to Ed West. I think they would be a phenomenal combo.

H

HardRightEdge

Williams gets a Jason Witten comparison.
That's unrealistically optimistic.

Among other things, Witten can block and has short route quickness and breaks into separation, characteristics not attributable to Williams. Besides, Witten is a borderline HOFer making the comparison somewhat absurd.

That said, Maxx with the double-x is a cool name. That should be worth a few draft slots. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's unrealistically optimistic.

Among other things, Witten can block and has short route quickness and breaks into separation, characteristics not attributable to Williams. Besides, Witten is a borderline HOFer making the comparison somewhat absurd.

That said, Maxx with the double-x is cool name. That should be worth a few draft slots. ;)

I didnt' come up with that. It was someone that does the CBS draft boards. I believe when they make those comparisons they are saying "this is what he could potentially be based on his attributes and strengths).

H

HardRightEdge

I didnt' come up with that. It was someone that does the CBS draft boards. I believe when they make those comparisons they are saying "this is what he could potentially be based on his attributes and strengths).
There's that.

Then there's the nfl.com scouting report's more realistic Jeremy Shockey comparison, which is not too shabby in itself, while also having the virtue of being somewhat realistic.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be happy with a Greg Olson comparison to be honest. He has the Shockey Tatts though. The blocking is simply not there so I agree that he is not Witten.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there's much disagreement on Perryman in that regard. He can lay some big time hits as well.

The question I have is whether he's just a box player; the highlight reels are all about the downhill, the hits, the sideline-to-sideline, the closing speed. I was hoping to get a better idea of his coverage ability at the Senior Bowl, but he missed it with a injury. I'm sure the coverage drills at the Combine will help the Packers in the evaluation.

The second question is, "who's the best compliment to Barrington?"

Barrington played mostly weak side and as the primary coverage backer in nickel. While not bad in coverage, he does give up separation on down field coverage. His field speed looks a bit faster than his 4.8 Combine number, but not by much. Being more physical than fast, he's better suited to the strong side, and most of his coverage duties should go to a faster guy. I see Barrington as comparable to Bishop, another guy who got exposed in downfield coverage.

For now, I'm seeing Kendricks as a better fit than Perryman at the weak side. From his clips I'd characterize him as a flow player as opposed to the striker Perryman, which is what you want from the weak side, while being able stick in the hole better than his 230 lbs. would indicate. Kendricks also has quite a few of his clips showing good coverage feel, with 3 picks his senior year, in the conference with a bunch of Combine QBs. He's also projected for about a half second better 40 time than Perryman which comes in handy against backs in motion, the faster TEs, and those pesky RB wheel routes.

We'll see what the Combine reports yield, but for now Kendricks looks like the better 3-down player and Barrington compliment.

I don't care that much for McKinney. The measurables are impressive, but he looks more fast than quick. I see a guy who chops steps on the way to the play, has difficulty maneuvering through trash, and needs space to show his speed. He just strikes me as a straight line player...more like a lightweight DE.

I see your point and I like Kendricks too, but I'm warming up to Perryman and so apparently are a number of scouts. I'd be happy with either one of these guys.

If I had to do a 3 round Mock I'd wouldn't mind seeing:

1: Kendricks/Perryman
2: Hau' oli Kikaha OLB A real strong pass rusher with a lot of upside. Peppers has one more year and needs to be replaced.
3: Ellis McCarthy DT or Clive Walford TE. Walford likely won't be on the board that long, but if he is, Packers should nab him.

D

Deleted member 6794

I see your point and I like Kendricks too, but I'm warming up to Perryman and so apparently are a number of scouts. I'd be happy with either one of these guys.

If I had to do a 3 round Mock I'd wouldn't mind seeing:

1: Kendricks/Perryman
2: Hau' oli Kikaha OLB A real strong pass rusher with a lot of upside. Peppers has one more year and needs to be replaced.
3: Ellis McCarthy DT or Clive Walford TE. Walford likely won't be on the board that long, but if he is, Packers should nab him.

I would prefer Kendricks over Perryman simply because he's capable of covering RBs and TEs.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I think we should trade up for Danny Shelton. That guy is everything we need at the NT.