1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Most improved areas after this weeks Practice's ?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by WinnipegPackFan, Oct 11, 2007.

1. WinnipegPackFan

WinnipegPackFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Last Sunday we had a few areas exposed that needed improvement. We know that MM will be working on these areas all week for the up and coming Washington game.

These are the areas I feel will be improved but am curious to know which areas you think will have the biggest improvement and impact on our game with Washington ?

Please feel free to add what I may have missed.

I am going with all the above but getting the proper mix of Pass and Run being the biggest area of improvement.

I am hoping that the extra "attitude" for lack of a better word is what will end up giving us the edge in this game ( but that's just me )

Cheers all !!!

2. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,480
    Very good question!!

If I had to pick just one, I would say penalties..Althought turn overs is a very close 2nd..

But we know they are working on not turning it over, so I would like to think the coaches are hammering home not get get the yellow hanky tossed at them

3. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I would hope that this week of practice would produce better run blocking by the O-line.

4. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Too many mental mistakes. Penalties, fumbles, missed tackles. Hopefully all those will improve. If we would have improved half of them last game, we'd be 5-0 right now.

5. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +113
    I have to say Ball Control - Turnovers we gave away far too many turnovers to win the game aganist the bears.

6. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I really hope someone figures out how to cover a TE. Chris Cooley is giving me nightmares right now.

7. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think several of you are right.

We need not to turn the ball over.

We need less penalties/mental mistakes.

And we need to cover a TE better.

8. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    To be able to cover the tight end better will be EXTREMELY important this week.
    I love Poppinga but in coverage not so much.

9. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Collins and Hawk haven't exactly been great on the TEs either. We really need to stop Portis and Cooley and force Campbell and Moss/Randle El (if he plays) to try to beat us.

10. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Please don't say bad things about Hawk?
    That kind of talk makes me nervous.

11. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    i voted turnovers. 5 in a game is just unacceptable for a team that wants to play in the Super Bowl.

As far as covering the TE, I recall two plays where they actually had an impact catch. Both were for TDs, but you need to look at the big picture here.

Olsen's catch was a spectacular play..... after he pushed off on Bigby to get seperation.

Clark's was a bad bite on PA by Poppinga, and Collins should have had the RB in the flat. Collins came over to try to fix Brady's mistake, but it was too late.

I just don't see this as a "address it now cause it's killing the team" type of issue.

12. Buckeyepackfan

Buckeyepackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    #1. Win turnover battle
    +
    #2. Win Time of Possesion
    +
    #3. Elimnate penalties

13. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I wasn't talking just about the Bears. We didn't cover Smith in Week 1, Shockey in Week 2 or Gates in Week 3. It's been something of a recurring theme the TEs getting open and the 'Skins have a good one in Cooley.

14. Obi1

Obi1 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    What was the difference between the Cowpies and us? PENALTIES!

Cowpies overcame a huge deficit and 5 turnovers to defeat the Bills. Packers ALMOST did with Chicago but then the timely penalties killed us.

Personally, I think if we limit the turnovers and the Penalties, we are good enough to win the REST of the games.

Go Packers!!!
    15-1, Superbowl!!!

15. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

I didn't feel like any of those 3 Pro Bowlers had a Pro Bowl game against us, with the possible exception of Gates.

But, I'm gonna go check the stats, I'll be back in few.... :pop:

EDIT:

Gates- got 113 yds (matches his season high in last weeks game), 0 TDs ( only us & KC stopped him from scoring)

Shockey-he's having another bad year, but we held to 5 rec. for 60 yds and 0 TDs.

LJ Smith- 2 catches, 14 yds. I'd say we did cover him.

My point is, we are covering the TE for the most part, even with teams trying to mismatch them with anyone they can, but I just don't think that you can label 'not covering the TE' as one of the more pressing issues.

16. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    PENALTIES

Ridiculous how many penalties the Packers had against the Bears. Hopefully McCarthy gets it in their heads not to make many mistakes.

17. WinnipegPackFan

WinnipegPackFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    porky88 , pack_in_black , Obi1 , TOPackerFan , Buckeyepackfan , Green_Bay_Packers , Zombieslayer , cheesey , longtimefan and of course my friend yooperfan , thanks for your input as it's always insightful.

Better run blocking from the O-line was something I had not thought of, thanks for that extra input.

Cheers all !!!

18. dhpackr

dhpackr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    i always thought the Sam LB was suposed to cover the TE. why do people keep blaming Hawk?

19. Aytumious

Aytumious Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    We don't run a system where one LB is always over the TE with the other on the weak side. Our OLB's play on the same side of the defense regardless of where the TE is at.