More Larry Johnson rumors.........

Packerfanforever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WTMJ out of Milwaukee is reporting that the Packers are keeping a close eye on the Larry Johnson situation. I think he would be a great addition to this team. It would instantly catapult us into playoff contention, and would also provide experience at the postion. Also, Scout Inc. rated the RB tandem of Vernand Morency and Brandon Jackson 32nd in the NFL.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers can be used as a negotiating bluff by Johnson.

The key factors are:

1) The Packers have the cap room to sign him.
2) To an outsider, the Packers might appear to have a need at the position.
3) Packer management's "no comment" style gets played up in the imaginations of many.

This could become another big non-story. Look how many denials Ted Thompson made-that there were never any discussions about Randy Moss?
Yet several people believed all the bad rumors put out by Bus Cook? You either believe the agent was a liar or Ted Thompson was the liar.

When it comes to believing who is the liar I generally believe the seller is more inclined to lie, especially to the press, than the buyer.

People might believe these lying bad rumors like they did the Randy Moss ones.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers can be used as a negotiating bluff by Johnson.

The key factors are:

1) The Packers have the cap room to sign him.
2) To an outsider, the Packers might appear to have a need at the position.
3) Packer management's "no comment" style gets played up in the imaginations of many.

This could become another big non-story. Look how many denials Ted Thompson made-that there were never any discussions about Randy Moss?
Yet several people believed all the bad rumors put out by Bus Cook? You either believe the agent was a liar or Ted Thompson was the liar.

When it comes to believing who is the liar I generally believe the seller is more inclined to lie, especially to the press, than the buyer.

People might believe these lying bad rumors like they did the Randy Moss ones.

Good approach!! Refuse to believe it may be happening until it does. That way, you don't get upset when it falls through (like Moss).

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh no, Scouts Inc. ranks our RBs low! We better to do something quick so they will think more highly of us.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
who cares what Scouts Inc. rated us....
I think thats what Billv was meaning.......I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic!

I don't take these rumors seriously, until it actually happens.

OP
OP
P

Packerfanforever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh no, Scouts Inc. ranks our RBs low! We better to do something quick so they will think more highly of us.

I could care less what they "think" of us. Its a reference tool though. We should all be concerned with our running back situation heading into the season.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well our RBs are unproven and young. I see where they're coming from. I dont take any of the experts seriously in things like this, but i see where they are comin from.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
I'm saying, whether you care about what they say or not . . . it's something that can't be denied. It's going to be an issue . . . i can feel it.

steveGB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't we introduce the zone blocking scheme like denvers and atlantas so we don't really need a big name RB to be productive?

I dont mind picking up LJ but i dont want to give them an arm and a leg for him.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
James "who" Jones?

and Koren "wont play in 2007" robinson?

Dont get me wrong, I hope James owns, and Robinson comes back with achip on his shoulder...but cmon....cmon.....and Clowney isnt impressing much either..

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
who cares what Scouts Inc. rated us....

I don't know why anyone would rate our running backs any higher than that. What have they done? Let's wait until the season starts because that's where you prove or disprove your rating.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Reports from Chmura said Packers have dangled a 1st and 2nd rd pick for LJ. I don't know how the hell Chmura would have any inside info or why the hell any Packer would give him in any info so I don't put much stock into it.

On a somewhat related note. A Kansas City writer recently wrote that the contract Freeney received has an impact on the LJ negations even though they play on the opposite side of the ball and that LJ could be in a helluva hold out. Also said the Hunts are notorious for being somewhat cheap.

I'd like to see us package someone like Fergie or Bubba with a 2nd or 3rd rd pick with a conditional pick based on performance for LJ.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How could ANYBODY believe that Bubba and/or Fergie plus a 2nd or 3rd rd + a conditional pick could whet Carl Peterson's appetite? Those guys are washed up. Both those guys might be cut yet. Johnson may well be a big up-grade for us, even with his bad attitude, but his price will be exorbitant both in salary demands and in trade cost. I say let the cheap Chiefs try to satisfy this guy since they're the ones who made him into a mal-content with their refusal to up grade his $1.7mil contract. Why take on their headaches? Is he a good RB? Hell yes! Is he worth gutting our cap and next year's draft? Hell NO!! We should know by now that ONE man alone can't make a team the top dog.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So does Pro Football Weekly! What are we going to do?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
How could ANYBODY believe that Bubba and/or Fergie plus a 2nd or 3rd rd + a conditional pick could whet Carl Peterson's appetite? Those guys are washed up. Both those guys might be cut yet. Johnson may well be a big up-grade for us, even with his bad attitude, but his price will be exorbitant both in salary demands and in trade cost. I say let the cheap Chiefs try to satisfy this guy since they're the ones who made him into a mal-content with their refusal to up grade his $1.7mil contract. Why take on their headaches? Is he a good RB? Hell yes! Is he worth gutting our cap and next year's draft? Hell NO!! We should know by now that ONE man alone can't make a team the top dog.

How could ANYBODY not understand the statement before being a complete...? :shrug:

A player. +
2nd or 3rd pick +
conditional pick that could go as high as a 1st rd'er

OMG that's CRAZY to think that. CRAZY!

Regardless, I don't think Hunt will let LJ go unless they get a LOT of picks. A lot more than Ted would be willing to give for a RB closing in on that magical number 30 years of age.

OP
OP
P

Packerfanforever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
retiredgrampa said:

How could ANYBODY not understand the statement before being a complete...? :shrug:

A player. +
2nd or 3rd pick +

Regardless, I don't think Hunt will let LJ go unless they get a LOT of picks. A lot more than Ted would be willing to give for a RB closing in on that magical number 30 years of age.

Barring injury, the guy still has 4-5 good seasons yet.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
retiredgrampa said:

A player. +
2nd or 3rd pick +

I've said it multiple times, if we can get him with cash and no to low draft pick (s), I say we go for it. However, no trading away top draft picks. NO!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

If I remember right, he sat on the bench and played sparingly his first few seasons and only has had two full seasons of wear an tear on his body.

Staff online

Latest posts