Moral Dilemma

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
By now I have a pretty good sized Packers memorabilia collection. When browsing Craigslist for Pack\Pats tickets for my mom, I stumbled upon a guy in my area selling mint 1960s Packers cards. Didn’t think too much of it at first then at second glance realized there were some pretty rare and expensive cards in the collection. I’m talking like 3-4 cards worth over $500. Then 3-4 cards in the $100 range and so on. He is looking to sell the lot for $45 total. Now I have no intentions on selling these cards (anytime soon) as they will just appreciate in value. Do I tell the guy the truth or just give him the $45?

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
If he really cared that much he'd do the research. You aren't ripping someone off when they set the price. Some of the best fun of buying/selling/collecting/hustling is finding a good deal. Just give him what he asked for and say thanks for doing business and everyone will be happy.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of.... anyone remember the Lombardi Era Packer Prints Mobil Gas stations used to give out? Wonder what they’re worth? I had a football signed in ball point pen by the 1966-ish Packers. They used a crappy semi plastic football back then that didnt hold air and the autographs smudged because some 10yo kid handled it.... wound up getting tossed oy oy oye...

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You might have just created a dilemma for yourself in someone here offering $50. ;)

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he’s a senior citizen I couldn’t bring myself to take that price if what you said is true.

If he’s between the ages of 18 and 60 and in good mental health then heck yea take that deal.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he’s a senior citizen I couldn’t bring myself to take that price if what you said is true.

If he’s between the ages of 18 and 60 and in good mental health then heck yea take that deal.
only caveat is if he just acquired Dad's old collection because of a death or something and decided to get rid of them because he's not a collector and just wants the cash. I'd pay the 45 and not think twice about it. Now if it as Dad doing the selling because he wants someone else to enjoy them because he knows his time is shorter than it was a few years ago. I'd probably mention it to him that a couple of those cards may be worth significantly more.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If you were the seller and didn’t know what you had, what would you want a prospective buyer to do?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My bet is they are sold already. This thread alerted 200 local rabid and nerdy Packer fans of the possible score.

At least when I looked to buy them, I couldn't find them anymore. J/k

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By now I have a pretty good sized Packers memorabilia collection. When browsing Craigslist for Pack\Pats tickets for my mom, I stumbled upon a guy in my area selling mint 1960s Packers cards. Didn’t think too much of it at first then at second glance realized there were some pretty rare and expensive cards in the collection. I’m talking like 3-4 cards worth over $500. Then 3-4 cards in the $100 range and so on. He is looking to sell the lot for $45 total. Now I have no intentions on selling these cards (anytime soon) as they will just appreciate in value. Do I tell the guy the truth or just give him the $45?

That's a lot for anyone to deal with so I suggest you give me the guys number and I will buy them so you don't have to feel guilty about it. It will be my burden to bear but I am willing to do it for any Packer fan.

Seriously though if it were me I would probably inform the guy that they are worth more than what he is asking and offer him $100.00 (or whatever I felt comfortable with) He may appreciate your honesty and let you have them anyway for the 45 or he may take your 100 (and you still got a great deal) or he may decide to actually do a little research and you lose out. Either way your conscience is clear.

I've done this a couple of times. Told the sellers what I was willing to pay but informed them they were worth quite a bit more if they wanted to look into it. I've had some take my offer and others back out. I've also taken great deals and not looked back. As others have said it may depend on who is selling them. I've even seen Frank on "American Pickers" offer a guy more than he was asking on something the guy way undervalued. Of course he likely did that so the guy would think he was fair when he tried to bend him over later on over something worth 10 times as much.

Though my initial response was to say "offer him $40.00"

Speaking of.... anyone remember the Lombardi Era Packer Prints Mobil Gas stations used to give out? Wonder what they’re worth? I had a football signed in ball point pen by the 1966-ish Packers. They used a crappy semi plastic football back then that didnt hold air and the autographs smudged because some 10yo kid handled it.... wound up getting tossed oy oy oye...

Not much. About 10 bucks each even though you see them listed for a lot more. You could get 7 of the 8 right now for 40 bucks shipped though they do have pin holes in the corners.

If you were the seller and didn’t know what you had, what would you want a prospective buyer to do?

The thing is it is VERY easy to determine what things are worth nowadays. Even to get a ballpark figure that these cards are worth way more than 45 bucks would take 5 minutes and anyone with internet access could do it. Still, with some people yeah I wouldn't feel right about it.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Good on you. Seriously. I can't speak for anyone else but, in my daily business deals it's important that I can sleep with what I did during the day. You did good.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For what its worth I think you did it right. Glad you got the cards.

Now do you want to buy about 5000 newer packer cards?

H

HardRightEdge

If the internets could have taught you anything it's that crowd sourcing an ethical opinion is a bad idea. Offering $100 did not resolve your dilemma.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Ahhh...but it did. It gave the OP the comfort of knowing the guy was selling at that price ... firm.

H

HardRightEdge

Apparently it did.
Alternatively, there wasn't an ethical dilemma in the first place, just a a search for a rationalization which the internets are especially good at.

Personally, unless the seller had some obvious mental impairment it's caveat venditor. If the cards were counterfeits, reproductions or misunderstood to be mint when they were actually low grade non-star players, then caveat emptor.

Of if the poster made up the whole story, its a different kind of caveat emptor.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts