Mock Drafts 2015

H

HardRightEdge

I would like a big physical CB to help cover the big#1s we face. The team is peaking. Do we have time to wait for Jalen Collins to develop? I think the developmental CB can be found later. I want a guy who will make an impact now.
How are you going to do that if you're going to secure Shelton in the first round as you said just a few minutes ago in another thread? This is becoming a game of whack-a-mole.

Jalen Collins is not a "developmental" player. He's a drug suspension risk.

Last edited by a moderator:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How are you going to do that if you're going to secure Shelton in the first round as you said just a few minutes ago in another tread? This is becoming a game of whack-a-mole.

Jalen Collins is not a "developmental" player. He's a drug suspension risk.
Collins only has 10 starts and is considered RAW! The drug offenses makes it a bad idea...
And this thread relates nothing to the other thread... You would criticize me if i bull dogged Shelton down everyones throat... So whats the real problem here?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shelton would be the type of imediate impact player I speak of... While you were here jabbing, i was over there writing a possible scenario that could bring shelton here to GB....

H

HardRightEdge

Collins only has 10 starts and is considered RAW! The drug offenses makes it a bad idea...
And this thread relates nothing to the other thread... You would criticize me if i bull dogged Shelton down everyones throat... So whats the real problem here?
Collins is considered "raw" by whom, exactly? 10 starts perhaps, but he saw plenty of snaps over the last 3 seasons at LSU. He's about as NFL-ready as you're going to find at #30. I took him off my first round list because of the drug disclosure and suspension risk.

So who is this mystery NFL-ready, impactful, physical CB you think you can get along with Shelton in this draft?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Collins is considered "raw" by whom, exactly? 10 starts perhaps, but he saw plenty of snaps over the last 3 seasons at LSU. He's about as NFL-ready as you're going to find at #30. I took him off my first round list because of the drug disclosure and suspension risk.

So who is this mystery NFL-ready, impactful, physical CB you think you can get along with Shelton in this draft?
the one and only article i read about him. I dont claim to know much else, other than he has 10 starts, and this guy who gets paid to write thinks he is raw. I would say that accurate for a 1st round pick... Especially one that doesnt run a 4.35. Not as many opportunities to redeem yourself when you get torched. This is the 1st round pick. Experience or extraordinary potential... IMO.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Who said we can get one? And who said we can get Shelton and then get one? We dont need a starter CB. We can get by with a mid-late round project to play dime a couple years if needed. As I would be happy with zero CBs if we made a move for Shelton.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like a big physical CB to help cover the big#1s we face. The team is peaking. Do we have time to wait for Jalen Collins to develop? I think the developmental CB can be found later. I want a guy who will make an impact now.
How TT ranks his big board is and always will be a mystery to us underlings. I've read boatloads of posts and digested lots of ideas. While I may not agree with most or even any if them they mostly contain at least some solid reasons.

Having said all that, at #30 I think its impossible to predict. With 29 picks in front of us, and with 29 different minds making those picks who can say who will be left to chose from come #30.

I'm thinking ILB won't be the pick unless TT has a totally different take on talent than a bulk of analysis out there is saying. CB may get picked clean of 1st round talent before our pick. This is leading to an increased probability that we go in a totally different direction simply because of what is still sitting there at #30. DT look to get cleaned out quickly, TE doesn't look like it has any 1st round projections and WR also looks to get drafted heavy as well.

I am really beginning to see something off the wall happening here like an OL that drops too far and a real possibility at perhaps RB. There may be a DE ad well.

Bottom line, the pick probably won't be what we want as fans, but will probably be a long term contributor somewhere. OR, something we need slides and we get need and value at the same time. Come pick #25, we will know a whole lot more.

H

HardRightEdge

How TT ranks his big board is and always will be a mystery to us underlings. I've read boatloads of posts and digested lots of ideas. While I may not agree with most or even any if them they mostly contain at least some solid reasons.

Having said all that, at #30 I think its impossible to predict. With 29 picks in front of us, and with 29 different minds making those picks who can say who will be left to chose from come #30.

I'm thinking ILB won't be the pick unless TT has a totally different take on talent than a bulk of analysis out there is saying. CB may get picked clean of 1st round talent before our pick. This is leading to an increased probability that we go in a totally different direction simply because of what is still sitting there at #30. DT look to get cleaned out quickly, TE doesn't look like it has any 1st round projections and WR also looks to get drafted heavy as well.

I am really beginning to see something off the wall happening here like an OL that drops too far and a real possibility at perhaps RB. There may be a DE ad well.

Bottom line, the pick probably won't be what we want as fans, but will probably be a long term contributor somewhere. OR, something we need slides and we get need and value at the same time. Come pick #25, we will know a whole lot more.
As noted elsewhere, I see the Packers primary needs as ILB, cover corner, D-Line and OLB, roughly in that order. There will be good players at one or more of those positions at #30. Thinking Thompson's pick will be one of those guys should be viewed as a very solid assumption.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone is going to slide. It always happens. Question is, who? Is Beasley really sliding on Kiper's and McShay's latest 1st round mocks?

Honestly, I am betting that Shane Ray slides into the 20s.

Bigger question: If someone does slide that fits a position we need, would TT trade up and grab him? What if Beasley IS sitting there in the mid 20s? Hes an OLB, but yeah, hes touted as a top 10 talent...or was....would TT trade up for someone like him...?

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As noted elsewhere, I see the Packers primary needs as ILB, cover corner, D-Line and OLB, roughly in that order. There will be good players at one or more of those positions at #30. Thinking Thompson's pick will be one of those guys should be viewed as a very solid assumption.

I agree. There will be a very good highly rated ILB or CB (maybe both?) sitting there for us at #30.

Ive said many times over that its highly likely that we'll get the pick of the ILB litter at #30. Its just a matter if TT wants to go that way in round 1......

I also believe that Marcus Peter maybe there for us too...and I think hes the best CB in this whole draft. Kevin Johnson *might* be there as well......

H

HardRightEdge

I agree. There will be a very good highly rated ILB or CB (maybe both?) sitting there for us at #30.

Ive said many times over that its highly likely that we'll get the pick of the ILB litter at #30. Its just a matter if TT wants to go that way in round 1......

I also believe that Marcus Peter maybe there for us too...and I think hes the best CB in this whole draft. Kevin Johnson *might* be there as well......
Peters got booted off the Washington squad. Or more accurately, booted after being suspended multiple times for arguing with coaches. His mentor is Marshawn Lynch. His apology was more script than evidence of new-found self-awareness.

While cover corners are known to be mercurial, you'd prefer any trash talking, if it's absolutely necessary, be directed at the opponent and not internally.

Coachability is always a valuable, if not a necessary, trait. Often overlooked in these discussions is that it's at a premium in Capers' kaleidoscope of defenses. Further, there's not a steady veteran hand in the position room with Williams gone. Shields has already had run-ins with coaches over his tackling, but he was first a very cheap acquisition then a proven talent that forces some toleration. Spending a first round pick on a potential head case who, to state the obvious, has not earned the right for tolerance is a dubious proposition.

He might be worth the risk in 3rd. round; somebody else will take him higher.

H

HardRightEdge

I like Kevin Johnson enough to say he's a possibility at #30. There are a couple of concerns here. He ran 4.52 at the Combine and chose to stand on that number by not running at his Pro Day. That's at the low end of the range you'd like in a cover corner so he might drop. He's got a slight build, is a questionable tackler, and he chose not to lift at the Combine or his Pro Day raising further questions about his physicality. He might be too much like Shields in that regard, and thereby not complementary. Still, he's a good cover man, his athletic measurables beyond the 40 time are top notch, and he's as likely as any at #30 to bring a low QBR-against, a priority Capers metric.

That said, reports have it the Steelers were all over his Pro Day. With Ike Taylor retiring, they need a CB. The question is whether they'd be interested in going away from the aggressive, physical Taylor template.

D

Deleted member 6794

I like Kevin Johnson enough to say he's a possibility at #30. There are a couple of concerns here. He ran 4.52 at the Combine and chose to stand on that number by not running at his Pro Day. That's at the low end of the range you'd like in a cover corner so he might drop. He's got a slight build, is a questionable tackler, and he chose not to lift at the Combine or his Pro Day raising further questions about his physicality. He might be too much like Shields in that regard, and thereby not complementary. Still, he's a good cover man, his athletic measurables beyond the 40 time are top notch, and he's as likely as any at #30 to bring a low QBR-against, a priority Capers metric.

That said, reports have it the Steelers were all over his Pro Day. With Ike Taylor retiring, they need a CB. The question is whether they'd be interested in going away from the aggressive, physical Taylor template.

I don't think Kevin Johnson will make it to the Packers first round pick though.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't think Kevin Johnson will make it to the Packers first round pick though.
I don't either, just as I don't expect Ajayi to make it to the 3rd. round. But there are enough question marks in each case to think it's possible.

I've noted Johnson's size, speed, physicality question marks. Since there's only one top 15 CB in this draft, with several guys clustered in roughly the #15 - #35 range he could slip through if the right teams look past character and drug question marks in the other players.

Ajayi is docked for ball security issues and top end speed. Mayock does not have him in his top 5; he puts him in his 6 - 8 grouping projected through the 3rd. round. nfldraftscout.com dropped him to #6 RB with a 2nd.-to-3rd. round grade and a low projection of 3rd.-to-4th. Then there's the knee rumors, while apparently unfounded, might put off some teams. He had a lot of touches in college; some teams may question his durability beyond the first contract. On the other hand, he can run the d*mn football. In short, he'd be a steal. ;)

H

HardRightEdge

Shane Ray may slide now that there are questions regarding his foot and recent arrest for pot.
Ray has what one report called a "turf toe-like" injury. Rest was prescribed over surgery, as is usually the case with toe toe. Turf toe can be a chronic problem...Woodson didn't practice for what seems like two years with that condition. That's a problem for a rookie.

As far as pot is concerned, so many guys are are either (1) not being properly advised as to how long they need to be off of it to pass the tests or (2) they can't help themselves. (1) can be fixed; (2) is a big red flag.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peter King has Shane Ray and Randy Gregory BOTH falling to 31 and 32? WTF?

H

HardRightEdge

Shane Ray was busted yesterday during a traffic stop for misdemeanor marijuana possession. He's also got the turf toe which can be quite troublesome.

Randy Gregory tested positive for THC at the Combine. He admitted to testing positive at Nebraska in Jan. 2014 and April 2014. Check out the following quotes:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...y-gregory-in-draft-b99487240z1-301501251.html

Gregory claims to have been off pot since December. Having seen the interview that is quoted here, I tend to believe him. He seemed genuinely surprised about the test, and this turn of events seemed to put the fear of God (i.e., Goodell in this case) in him. It would have been very interesting to be a fly on the wall when the Packers privately interviewed him post-Combine.

If Gregory was off the stuff as far back as Dec. 1, that was only about 2 1/2 months pot-free before the Combine test. Medical consensus says that for a heavy/daily user, THC won't clear the system for as long as 90 days or perhaps a bit longer. Who is advising these guys?

The long and short of it...if Gregory drops to #30, and Thompson was satisfied with Gregory's explanation, he must take him, or even trade up a few slots. He's arguably the best pure edge rusher in the draft, and I have little doubt he can do it standing up.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm wondering...would it have been permissible for the Packers under league rules to request from Gregory a THC re-test during the interview process after 90+ days from his alleged quit date, providing Gregory agreed to it?

D

Deleted member 6794

Shane Ray was busted yesterday during a traffic stop for misdemeanor marijuana possession. He's also got the turf toe which can be quite troublesome.

Former Bucs GM Mark Dominik (I get that he´s not the best talent evaluator) thinks that Rey will drop to the fourth round.

H

HardRightEdge

Former Bucs GM Mark Dominik (I get that he´s not the best talent evaluator) thinks that Rey will drop to the fourth round.
I wonder if he's allocating a 1 round drop for the pot bust and 2 rounds for the turf toe, or visa versa?

H

HardRightEdge

I don't know about anybody else, but I could give a sh*t about marijuana usage...within limits.

Personally I never liked the stuff and have not touched it in 35 years, so this opinion is not coming from some pot head.

If a football player uses it in-season (outside the off-season NFL testing window) to take the edge off after going 10 rounds in a game or for pain management, who cares? Some insiders estimate 25% of players, maybe higher, use it in this way. It's better than using alcohol for the same purposes while hanging in some club to the wee hours.

"Addiction" or stupidity that yields a positive test and a suspension is a major problem.

Members online

Latest posts