Mock draft contest as Packers

frankl11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was given control of the Packers for a mock draft and would like some feedback.
My picks:

1(14) Michael Oher OT Ole Miss
Added Saints 2010 2nd rounder
2 (41) Clay Matthews LB USC
3 (65) Victor Harris CB VT- Minus 4th rounder plus Lions 6th
3 (83) In progress.

I passed on Orakpo and Raji to move down to 14. Sintim went a couple picks before me at 41, though I like Matthews as a player. I thought Harris was very good value at the top of the 3rd and I thought I would miss the corner run if I didn't move up. I'm not sure I like the move though, I could have stayed put and waited on BPA.

On paper as it is, how do you feel about this draft haul?
I'm looking at Cody Brown OLB and Terrance Taylor NT for 83.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very interesting draft, but in my opinion we need more D-line help than O-line. But hey, FA could change the whole draft, and your draft is very good, I really like all players you selected, specially Harris in the 3rd. This actually could be it, because Matthews is more of a SAM, and our Staff could think that with Kampman we don't need a Rush OLB, instead they could want just that, a SAM linebacker. OF course, the only need we would have would be a DT with your draft, maybe a DE, but good draft...

OP
OP
F

frankl11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, DL is definitely still a need. Ron Brace and Moala both went mid 2nd. Gilbert and Francois both went early 3rd. The only time need met value was with Raji in the first. I added Terrance Taylor in the 3rd...the opinions of him range from 2nd rounder to late 5th.

I guess that's what happens when you have a mock draft before the combine.

I assumed Barnett's knee injury leaves you uncertain about him coming back effective, especially in a 3-4. I thought that at minimum, I needed solid depth behind him and found it with Matthews.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nah, Barnett is not an issue right now. I like the Matthews pick, cause he can play weakside in the 3-4 too. About Moala, he would not be a fit. He's actually faster than Raji, but he's a lot lighter ( a DT light is really something ) and he's weaker, he could be a really good 4-3, maybe a good 3-4 DE, but not a NT. Brace could. Lemme tell you something, we may even not need an LT picked this early. If Tauscher has surgery, he may re-sign if the Packers think he can recovery. He isn't that old, and he can still play, his issue is about his health. Barnett really didn't play well this season, even before surgery, but he has talent and is somewhat young, so right now, he isn't a concern, not that I've heard of...

OP
OP
F

frankl11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing I like about Oher is that he has good versatility if Tauscher still is a quality starter. Behind the starting 5 there is little talent on the depth chart, IMO. Oher could fill in at G or RT with his strength and size. But the #1 reason I drafted him is that I think he'll develop into an elite OT.

I thought Moala would have been worth trading up for if he started to slide. 3-4 DE written all over him.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
didn't know Oher was that versatile. We need more quality at C and RG, in my opinion. And totally agree with you on Moala... But it was a nice draft nonetheless... Just one question, is Oher suited for a Zone Blocking scheme? Cause Andre Smith is a great LT, but not a very mobile one...

OP
OP
F

frankl11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oher doesn't specialize in manhandling DEs in the running game or anything. He has above average strength for an NFL LT, but I've read that he doesn't use his legs to drive people enough.

He's handles speed rushers very well because he has good lateral agility.

Members online

Latest posts