MM worried about Collins

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Classy comments by Coach McCarthy. Shows these guys aren't just roster spots and payroll, they're family.

AaronShockley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hope Collins has a full recover for him as a person, and as a player. He is valuable to the team, but I can't imagine the worry his family is going through. My own father had a similar surgery about 6 months ago and it was a very stressful time, as is any when your dealing with such an important area of the body.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again they **** me off with the stupid title. Makes it sound like he's pessimistic about Collins' return. He's not worried. He's concerned about a man he likes and respects. He's not worried. He's concerned. The words you use MATTER.

Chillarfan54

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Collins comes back. He doesn't deserve to have to retire, because of a injury. But if he has to, atleast he went out with a ring on his finger.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love Collins and I am so sad, and mad really, that this has happened to him.
And the play it happened was so flukey, typical bad defense by the LB who didn't even cover Jonathan Stewart, and then the contact on the head seemed so harmless.

We've lost too many great players, YOUNG, to the necks.

gbpowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that MM/TT are worried about the man and not the player.

This is the telling quote: "Ted asked me, 'If that was your son, would you want him to play again?' " McCarthy said, and the look on his face appeared to suggest that he wouldn't."

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
That has to make you feel good as a player. Some teams and coaches gradated from "What's in it for me University". All they want is production and don't care about the player.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SAD*** :(

NICK COLLINS chances of returning:

It isn't the doctor's decision. Dr. McKenzie can clear him medically, but that's it. And it isn't Collins' decision. It's the team's decision, specifically Ted Thompson's. And the powers that be don't want to have to hold their breath every time Nick Collins is involved in a hard hit or is slow to get up.

So they're going to do everything in their power to convince Nick to retire and spend time with his wife and four kids. And if they can't, then they'll release him. But they aren't going to be party to him reinjuring himself no matter how remote that possibility is. You can provide all the medical rationale you want but it's always going to come down to these three words: Surgically. Repaired. Neck.

Somebody above said that Robert Ferguson came back to the Packers after a bad neck injury. I presume that you're referring to missing the final three games of the 2004 season following a very hard/borderline dirty hit in the Jacksonville game. I was under the impression this was a concussion, not a neck injury. I could be wrong. But the vast majority of neck injuries are career enders as far as the Packers are concerned.

If you're a long term guy like Thompson, it's much better to replace Collins in this draft than to expose yourself to this risk. He's a conservative guy and he's not going to take the chance.

I'd bet a six pack of Pabst on this. Collins is done with Green Bay.

-Polaris

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Pabst. I'd take that bet. I think that Collins will be in camp this year and think there is a better than 50% chance (50.0001% to be precise) that he will make the opening day roster.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Pabst. I'd take that bet. I think that Collins will be in camp this year and think there is a better than 50% chance (50.0001% to be precise) that he will make the opening day roster.
Sure hope you're right amigo.
More than anything else this off-season, I want Collins to be able to resume his career.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My prediction: He'll be cleared to play, with the understanding there is nothing to prevent another such injury. It will come down to whether he wants to take that chance. No different from any other player, except he now knows the real risks.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Collins does not return . . .

We have Morgan Burnett and Charlie Peprah as our starting safeties. UGH.

If that is the case, our first round draft pick might have to be Mark Barron, unless another safety emerges as a quality pick that we can nab in the 2nd round. Right now Barron is considered by most to be the only safety who can make an immediate impact and be a starter in the NFL.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://blogs.greenbaypressgazette.c...-collins-was-my-son-i-would-not-let-him-play/

McCarthy: If Collins was my son, I would not let him play

PALM BEACH, Fla. — As the Packers coach, Mike McCarthy would love to have Nick Collins back.

And why not? He’s a three-time Pro Bowl player who at age 28 should still be in his prime.

But McCarthy still can’t get the image out of his mind of Collins down on the field in Charlotte, N.C. after he sustained what would be a season-ending neck injury in Week 2 against the Carolina Panthers.

Collins had cervical fusion surgery last September and could learn by the end of this week whether he’ll ever play football again.

“That’s probably one of the worst parts of your job (as a coach),” McCarthy said during an interview today on the eve of the NFL annual meetings at The Breakers Hotel. “Walking out on the field, looking over a player — especially when it didn’t look very serious, and then you get out there — I don’t want to be put in that position again

“And this is not about me. I’m just talking about, if that was my son, if Nick was my son, I would not let him play.”

Collins has said all along that if doctors tell him he’s not at additional risk, then he will play. Otherwise he will retire.

“I’ll tell you what (team physician) Dr. Pat McKenzie told me: It’s something that they feel very good about based on the last exam, and if he has a good chance just based on the way he’s progressing, but you don’t know,” McCarthy said. “He said it’s either yes or no.”

McCarthy added: “We’re not going to put him in harm’s way. If he’s on the field, he’ll be cleared. He’ll be 100 percent, and everybody will be comfortable with it.”

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Collins does not return . . .

We have Morgan Burnett and Charlie Peprah as our starting safeties. UGH.

If that is the case, our first round draft pick might have to be Mark Barron, unless another safety emerges as a quality pick that we can nab in the 2nd round. Right now Barron is considered by most to be the only safety who can make an immediate impact and be a starter in the NFL.
Wish nothing but the best for Collins. As much as Packer Nation wants him to come back he's more important to his family than he is to us. Nick,do what's right for your family. If it's playing...AWESOME. If it's retiring,we'll miss you & wish you the best.

Members online

Latest posts